Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Beginner Monitor Question  (Read 2155 times)

Coulombs

• Trade Count: (0)
Beginner Monitor Question
« on: June 09, 2002, 01:48:10 am »
I am building a 4 player MAME cabinet, and I have been trying to decide the best way to interface a PC graphics card with an arcade monitor. There are so many ways, each with pros and cons. Get a card that supports the frequency (which limits card options), get a scan converter, or interface it some other way, such as the J-Pac... If I were to get a 27 inch D9200 Wells Gardner, would this solve my problem? Are there any problems interfacing my current Geforce4 or any other good graphics card with this monitor, just plug and play? Will it support the resolutions of all the games? Will I have to use hardware stretch? Is this an authentic arcade monitor? Will I have problems with boot up, Dos, Windows, or Windows games? Does anyone have this monitor and might have somthing to say for/against it? Any help would be appreciated greatly, thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

StephenH

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Beginner Monitor Question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2002, 10:51:02 pm »
If you get a card that supports 15Khz use ArcadeOS and AdvanceMAME.

If you have a Jamma cab already, get a J-Pac.  

If you are albsolute beginner at wiring, get the Wells Gardner D9200.   It is expensive, but it is 31Khz, and supports resolutions up to 800x600, so you can safely load Windows on it, and it has a VGA connector, so connecting it is easy.   However, it is heavy to mount.

Warning: Do not touch the picture tube anode or wires, or the capacitors.   They can hold a lethal charge.  Use care when working on monitors.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »