Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Yet Another Donkey Kong Scratch Build  (Read 49874 times)

zinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2019, 05:09:31 pm
  • There's a Donkey Kong Kill Screen coming up!
Re: Yet Another Donkey Kong Scratch Build
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2016, 02:55:45 am »
A test of my new backlight.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2016, 11:43:23 am »
I got around to cutting the insert for the control panel. I found the insert angle to be between 14-15 degrees using the Gaetan plans and some trig.

I set the angle of the table saw to ~15 degrees.

I marked where I needed to cut.

I ran multiple passes across the table saw.

Test fit using the speaker panel (flipped) to see if this kind of cut will work. This diverges from the original plans. I can always cut out more if this doesn't work well using an actual 5/8" dado setup.

Test fit in the cabinet. I'm hoping the panel should lift easily out of this insert since the profile of the back edge becomes smaller as you lift the front up. We'll see.

The bottom side.

I haven't cut out the actual control panel yet.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2016, 07:33:06 pm »
     I was all trying to see your dado blade, and got all ??? ??? (then reread your post) That seems to be a good fit... That craftsman seems like a nice saw, and might consider getting one, I am using a cheap saw on my current project just to prove they are not crude and dangerous (subject of a "cheap saws suck" thread) but sold my good saw just as not to be tempted to cheat, and kind of miss it sometimes.... Btw Jennifer just LOVES those new coin plates!!

romshark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 02:50:59 pm
  • Arcade and Robotics enthusiast
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2016, 08:04:35 pm »
Cabinet is looking good so far!  :applaud:
Wish I used batons on mine now  :'(
I got the idea from johnrt's build for using battons. Not only did I avoid having to use bondo but it made it easier to properly align the two sides.

I tried cutting my own for my build, but they didn't come out even at all. I saw you got nice looking square dowel rods at Home Depot, so I'll do the same (luckily I only glued a couple in place so far on the base, and I can probably pull them off). Thanks for posting about that.  :)

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2016, 12:13:07 am »
     I was all trying to see your dado blade, and got all ??? ??? (then reread your post) That seems to be a good fit... That craftsman seems like a nice saw, and might consider getting one, I am using a cheap saw on my current project just to prove they are not crude and dangerous (subject of a "cheap saws suck" thread) but sold my good saw just as not to be tempted to cheat, and kind of miss it sometimes.... Btw Jennifer just LOVES those new coin plates!!
I would have had to buy a dado for this and they are expensive. So decided to give this a try first. Also, this Craftsman table saw is not great but I'm able to make it work. I always have to use a triangle or T-square to make sure the guide is set correctly, blade is square to the table, etc. With nicer ones you don't have to do this.

Yeah, I'm loving the new coin mech face plates as well. It wouldn't have looked nearly as good if I tried to re-plate the old ones myself. :)

I tried cutting my own for my build, but they didn't come out even at all. I saw you got nice looking square dowel rods at Home Depot, so I'll do the same (luckily I only glued a couple in place so far on the base, and I can probably pull them off). Thanks for posting about that.  :)
The square dowels worked out well. I did have to lay them out on the floor at Home Depot to make sure there was no warping in any of them. Generally, they were fairly straight.

Also, when cutting the dowels, I made sure to cut for both sides at the same time and used a jig to make sure they were offset exactly the same way. Of course this means your two sides need to perfectly match as well.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2016, 02:49:45 am »
I cut the control panel board with a 15 degree bevel on back side. It fits great and lifts up with no problems. Also, I cut out the coin door but that was uninteresting. I marked off what I needed to cut out using measurements from the Gaetan plans. Then used drill and jig saw to cut out the coin door opening. Its a bit tight as the coin door fits snugly in the opening. I may need to widen it just a bit.

Finally, I've ordered the Nevamar Caribbean Blue S3070T laminate and it ships out on Monday. I may have it in time for next weekend. I've waited to cut the t-molding slots until the laminate is installed. I want to make sure the t-molding overlaps the laminate properly. Also, I haven't decided yet whether to cut the speaker opening before or after the laminate is installed. If I can do it after then I just need to route once but I need to get it right the first time. :o

Everything in the picture below is a dry fit. I haven't glued any of the battons down, etc. Also, planning to laminate the sides, and paint the interior black with it completely taken apart.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2016, 09:40:29 am »
   Although I can understand the reasoning behind disassembly before paint, However in practice its a bad idea, your joints become compromised as far as adhesion goes. FWIW plating kits can achieve such results, just dealing with caustic chems is all....That thing looks awesome, GREAT JOB! :applaud:

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2016, 04:01:34 pm »
   Although I can understand the reasoning behind disassembly before paint, However in practice its a bad idea, your joints become compromised as far as adhesion goes. FWIW plating kits can achieve such results, just dealing with caustic chems is all....That thing looks awesome, GREAT JOB! :applaud:
Thanks! Right now only battons are holding everything together and I have not applied any glue yet. I also minimized the number of screws that I have used as I'm completely counting on the glue for strength.  So I'm not sure how any joints will be compromised.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2016, 06:24:06 pm »
   You would want to glue wood to wood not wood to paint, that would add a layer of compromised.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2016, 11:16:41 pm »
I decided to buy a DK control panel overlay from http://www.arcadeshop.com/. The quality is fairly good but I don't have a reference to compare it to.

It bugs me a bit that the graphic doesn't line up perfectly with the holes. For example, compare 1-Player and 2-Player holes.

Also, its hard to see in the pictures but the silkscreen is a bit splotchy along the edge. Its not a perfectly clean edge. Although, I don't have a real DK panel to compare to.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2016, 11:21:32 pm »
My laminate arrived today! I bought 2 sheets of 4x8.

Its textured but you have to look up close to see that. Here's an up-close shot of the texture.

Its almost as thin as a piece of paper. Actually looks thick here but its not at all.

I purchased vertical grade Nevamar S-3070 T Caribbean Blue laminate.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:56:49 pm by zinger »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2016, 11:45:19 pm »
Anxious to see how your laminate turns out. Looking nice.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2016, 11:54:55 pm »
Anxious to see how your laminate turns out. Looking nice.
Me too! I'm hoping to install it all tomorrow. I'll do a test piece first with some t-molding to see how it looks.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 11:57:26 pm by zinger »

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2016, 12:36:49 am »
Make sure to use the dowel method if you accidentally touch the two pieces and they're misaligned you will damage the laminate trying to get the two pieces off eachother.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2016, 12:58:20 am »
Make sure to use the dowel method if you accidentally touch the two pieces and they're misaligned you will damage the laminate trying to get the two pieces off eachother.
Could you explain this a bit further? Are you referring to the actual process of installing the laminate or something else?

Regarding installing the laminate, my plan is to first do a rough cut of the laminate, glue it down, roll it out, and finally use a trim router bit to make the laminate flush.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:06:08 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2016, 02:33:50 am »
Could you explain this a bit further?
Check out the video here.

Keep in mind that the vertical-grade laminate you're working with is more flexible than the horizontal-grade laminate shown in the video so you may want to use more dowels.

my plan is to first do a rough cut of the laminate, glue it down, roll it out, and finally use a trim router bit to make the laminate flush.
Add the dowel spacers and you've got it.   ;D

Scott

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2016, 03:08:17 am »
About 4 min 12 seconds in, it will make perfect sense when you see it.

In case you didn't get it from PL1'S vid.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2016, 10:49:22 am »
In case you didn't get it from PL1'S vid.
Thanks guys! You likely saved me a bunch of trouble. :)

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2016, 09:27:38 pm »
I took it all apart to start the process of painting and applying the laminate.

I glued down the battons.

I slot routed the side panels for t-molding. I made sure the t-molding will cover the side of the laminate.

However, it started raining and hailing. It was too cold to laminate the sides. So I'll have to wait until next weekend. :(

I did go and buy the dowels from Home Depot. It was 14 ft of closet pole that had severe warping. They gave me 75% off which I cut into 4 pieces.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2016, 09:54:46 pm »
Dang I was hoping you got it laminated when I started reading your update.

Oh well looking good so far.  Wear clothes that don't matter when you laminate. I have contact cement stains on one of my best pair of jeans.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2016, 10:48:03 pm »
That blue laminate looks fantastic.  I'm anxious to see it on the cabinet.

You can use spray on adhesive as well when laminating.  It is an amazingly fast and easy process.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,116519.msg1253352.html#msg1253352

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2016, 10:46:03 am »
Dang I was hoping you got it laminated when I started reading your update.

Oh well looking good so far.  Wear clothes that don't matter when you laminate. I have contact cement stains on one of my best pair of jeans.
At least you didn't PBJ it and almost cut your pee-pee off....
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2016, 05:20:45 pm »
Any progress?

Where did you order your laminate? 

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2016, 12:23:50 am »
Any progress?

Where did you order your laminate? 
I tried contacting a few local places in Oregon but none of them had the laminate or had access to it. So I ordered the laminate from https://topcabinethardware.com/ located in Florida. I called them up and talked to a guy named John and placed the order over the phone. He said they had some sheets of the Nevamar Caribbean Blue laminate in their warehouse and could ship it out right away.

Here's the damage fromTop Cabinet Hardware:

I probably should have looked harder for a better deal. But I just want to get this thing done and have it look nice. :)

The weather has been cold here in Oregon for the past few days. Its supposed to be in the 80s this weekend. So I'm hoping to have all laminating done by Saturday.

I did cut the laminate for the sides.

I'm also planning to stay up a bit late tonight and paint the black parts.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2016, 07:43:18 am »
This is looking great! I am looking forward to seeing the laminate finished and on the cab. Also, totally off topic but your garage floor looks amazing. What is the finish on it?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2016, 10:04:45 am »
Thanks zinger.  That's where I was looking to order as well.   :cheers:

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2016, 10:32:34 am »
This is looking great! I am looking forward to seeing the laminate finished and on the cab. Also, totally off topic but your garage floor looks amazing. What is the finish on it?
I painted it with Rust-Oleum-EpoxyShield-2-gal-Gray-2 Part High Gloss Epoxy Garage Floor Coating Kit:

It took a few days to prep the floor (e.g. clean, acid etch, etc.)  and a few hours to do the actual painting and throw on the blue and white flecks which was the easy part.

Its been about a year and half and it still looks good. The paint is waterproof and so I have a squeegee it often when it rains. But at the same time that process keeps it clean.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2016, 11:55:07 am »
Thanks for the floor info Zinger. I may do mine in that. I like it.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2016, 12:08:31 am »
It was still a bit too cold to laminate today. :hissy:  So I spent an hour on the control panel.

I cut out the holes, routed out a recess for the joystick, and routed the slot for the t-molding. I'll paint tonight and cut the rabbet tomorrow. I'll wait to cut the retainer slot until I have the cabinet back together. I want to make sure its in the right spot.

Of course I had to dry fit everything to make sure it works!

Here's one of the wiring harnesses that I picked up off of ebay. I'll have to clean it up a bit and find a clean way to hook it up to the I-Pac 2. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 12:12:40 am by zinger »

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2016, 12:01:34 am »
Finally, we have some warm weather! I was able to get all the laminating done.  :notworthy:

I needed to laminate everything at once because I had only 1 short nap roller. Here's everything laid out and ready for contact cement.

I used this stuff.

This roller worked well but I was surprised by how quickly the contact cement was used up. I almost used the whole can.

I rolled it on the plywood and back of laminate.

I waited 20 minutes for it to dry.

I used dowels, thanks to you guys, to make sure I can properly place the laminate into position.

Placing the laminate over the dowels took 2 people. The laminate is also delicate and can crack or break easy. So have to be careful.

I started rolling it out as I took the dowels out starting from center.

All done! Well at least with getting the laminate on there.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2016, 12:11:30 am »
I used a trim router bit where the bearing is on the bottom instead of top. It cut through the laminate like butter.

I'm very happy with the results!

I drilled a hole in the middle as a starting point for trimming out the coin door. As you can see I narrowly avoided disaster.  :angel: I was smart to drill the hole in the middle!

All is good and the coin door came out great!

I trimmed the side panels and that went great as well.

Here's one of the sides! Looks awesome in person!

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2016, 12:26:00 am »
If I were to do this build over again then I would have the nice side of the plywood facing in (i.e. the parts I painted black).

I would definitely recommend laminating over plywood vs trying to use MDF for a DK build. Its like having a perfect paint job!

dmckean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2024, 08:50:41 pm
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2016, 12:54:51 am »
Beautiful job!

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2016, 08:17:06 am »
Very nice job man!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2016, 09:39:14 am »
That looks fantastic.  Well done.   :cheers:

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2016, 10:09:35 am »
Yep, laminate is definitely the way to go over paint. Your machine is going to look so much better for it. And more authentic.  :cheers:

Now if you could just get a real DK PCB and CRT in that machine....   ;)
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2016, 11:20:38 am »
Thanks guys! Here's a pic of it back together. I'll cut the speaker holes next weekend.

Here's the latest for the control panel. The DK instruction sticker is not "stuck" on yet and I need to clean up a joystick to put in there.

I'll find some time this week to actually put the stickers on.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2016, 12:25:08 pm »
Can't say enough about laminate, it's a great option over painting and you did a great job executing the application!

You might want to add your photos to the forum though, it would be a shame to lose this as an example of a laminated Nintendo cab for posterity.

zinger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2016, 05:03:03 pm »
Can't say enough about laminate, it's a great option over painting and you did a great job executing the application!

You might want to add your photos to the forum though, it would be a shame to lose this as an example of a laminated Nintendo cab for posterity.
Agreed, its a great option over painting but its definitely a lot more expensive.

Which one is "the forum"?

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2016, 05:14:29 pm »
PL1
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

2013 UCA Awardee
View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Sonic & Tails 2 player upright
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 03:50:17 am »
QuoteQuote
Quote from: nugarp on March 14, 2014, 02:11:51 am
I couldn't (quickly) figure out how to insert images in the middle of the thread that I was also attaching at the same time.
There's a stickied thread here for posting images.

Post your images there and link to them (not the thumbnails  :lol) using the  icon to insert the IMG tags in your post.

Lots of formerly well-documented builds are now almost worthless because someone rearranged/"cleaned up" their image folders . . . or had their account revoked . . . or the photo service went out of business . . . or exceeded their monthly traffic allowance . . . .  :soapbox:

If the pics are vital to telling the story of your build, please host them here.

If you're posting 120 pictures that aren't vital to telling the story, those are probably better hosted elsewhere.   ;D