Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Exidy - Robot Bowl - 1977  (Read 3750 times)

chopperthedog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:26 pm
Exidy - Robot Bowl - 1977
« on: March 16, 2016, 11:13:54 pm »
Sooooo, this kinda happened 48 hours ago. Scored this off CL for cheap, filthy as fÛck, dead and had some strange hacks to the harness. My ordering practices for random stuff paid off, "oh you need 1 right now, might as well order 3". I had new power cable, power supply, leg levelers and plates, monitor cap kit and a plenty of molex pins and sockets in stock along with some other items.

Not only is it a pretty rare game, it's also a rare example. Take note of the separate bezel and marquee package on mine. The standard production of this game has an unlit 1 pc. bezel/marquee. I sucked at taking before pics on this one and just wanted to dive in.

Started with temping in a new power supply for 5v after monitor work and was greeted with this!!! So that meant it was full steam ahead with de-scumming this f-ing thing.

Clean as a whistle... Went through 2 rolls of paper towels and a full bottle of formula 409. This thing was a dirty mofo inside and out.

Being from 1977, it's still the era of exidy pulling 5v dc from the monitor (yeah, I know, pretty f'd up of them) to power the pcb. Cleaned the harness and made the needed adjustments to accommodate the new switching power supply tucked under the monitor shelf.

The game came with a 12" fluorescent fixture, which clearly wasn't stock for the cab. In the 2nd pic above you can see 2 vertical lines, those were the original markings for the "stock" fixture sockets. There was only one socket remaining and it was something I had never seen before. Found a sweet 23" slim fluorescent fixture at menards that fits perfectly.

There's a neat little animation that happens during a 2 player game right before the 5th frame. Fun stuff.

Doesn't get any sexier than this. From zero to hero in 48 hours!!!

good day.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:23:24 pm by chopperthedog »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Exidy - Robot Bowl 1977
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 01:36:17 am »
Great pickup, Chopper. Love these old machines.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 11:57:33 pm »
Great pickup, Chopper. Love these old machines.
Thank you sir...

Pulled the panel and all the buttons apart for detailing. The buttons had a special blackness on the inside, plus that ring of dirt, skin, snot and RC cola that forms around each button on the panel that almost needs to be chiseled off. .

Interesting approach, wonder if the plastic leaf switch holders didn't exist yet in early 77. Some tiny little leaf switches on there.

good day.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 12:40:11 pm »
Love that bezel, hows the game play? I was never one for bowling games but I picked up League Bowling for my MVS and its pretty fun.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 07:34:40 pm »
Exidy does have some of the best bezels in the biz, Circus is another great one when you look at the detail.

It's a fun little game. I'm learning how to do hooks right, and it's about timing with hitting the button at the right time as the ball travels. You get a strange feeling like you're playing an 8 liner with the panel layout, kinda funny. It will be a tough and fun one to master since there are no lane markings and the right hook is about timing. I dig these games that require minimal mental and time investment, but keep you coming back to get better.

good day.

MaseMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 08:49:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 05:20:25 pm »
This is hilarious. My son loves that game on my MAME cab (He's four years old). It's a very primitive game, but kind of fun in it's own way.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 08:57:08 pm »
This is hilarious. My son loves that game on my MAME cab (He's four years old). It's a very primitive game, but kind of fun in it's own way.
Awesome stuff!! Sounds like you have a smart young future black & white collector.  :applaud:

Moved the game from the garage to house a couple days ago and I was basking in the glory with my other B&W games, when I noticed my precious Extra Bases had no image one minute when it was working fine just a couple minutes before. :( Looked in the back and saw no green led on the switcher. Continued here with other great news: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148675.msg1568543.html#msg1568543.

good day.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:22:32 pm by chopperthedog »