Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best Trackball?  (Read 12347 times)

Broncofan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2016, 01:41:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Best Trackball?
« on: March 15, 2016, 12:41:29 pm »
TLDR:  What is the best trackball for arcade like GT experience?  Ultimarc? Happ? X-gaming?  Others?  What is the best one that will mount directly to a 3/4" ply without having to rout it down to 1/4"?

I recently purchased the x-gaming BYO kit and have everything mocked up on a thin 1/4" mdf board.  I have been very pleased with everything with the exception of the trackball.  The problem I am seeing is that the trackball is very inconsistent in how it plays GT.  I am moving from a dedicated Arcade GT to a MAME GT, because I thought it would be cool to have the other games in the same cab.  The problem is that the game play on the x-gaming does not live up to my expectations.  I have seen some incredibly inconsistent shots.  Sometimes the drive goes 300 yards and other times it goes 100 yards.  To a point where it is unplayable by anyone that wants to keep score.  I also don't like having to rout out my control panel down to 1/4".  I am worried that the 1/4" requirement for the x-gaming trackball could potentially split or break the wood.  I also saw a note on the x-gaming site that all trackballs veer to the left.  While this is hard to believe that they all do this, I did verify that their trackball does indeed veer to the left.  The x-gaming trackball is fine most of the time if you plan to use it as a mouse or navigate some games, but I don't think that it is the best option for me being that I wil be playing GT most of the time.

Broncofan

• Offline Offline
Re: Best Trackball?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 04:01:13 pm »
Any opinions on this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:01:10 am
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 05:05:07 pm »
Easiest to mount in 3/4" is the utrak from Ultimarc. You only need to drill the right size hole - no routing or mounting plates required.

In terms of performance I've used them all and don't really feel like any one performed better than the others with the exception of the x-arcade one which didn't feel as smooth to me. Purely opinion though.

Broncofan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 12:34:18 pm »
I wonder if I got a bad one? Or if I would be better off replacing it with a different one? 

Anyone else have good or bad experience with trackballs for playing games like Golden Tee that require consistent trackball performance?

Token

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2021, 03:45:43 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 02:24:23 pm »
I use a Happ trackball (red board) to play GT in my MAME cab. No complaints once you get the sensitivity set.

I cut the existing connector off, added .100 "DuPont" connectors, and plugged it into an IPac Ultimate I/O.

Broncofan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:46:08 pm »
 I messed around with the sensitivity in the tab menu and it seems to help.  I set the track y sensitivity to 50.  Do you mind sharing your settings?