Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: GroovyMAME page(s)  (Read 11242 times)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:01:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
GroovyMAME page(s)
« on: February 03, 2016, 06:43:21 am »
DeLuSioNal29 was asking last night about adding Calamity's excellent GroovyMAME installation writeup at http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=298 to the BYOAC wiki in case something unfortunate ever happens to the geedorah site.

Calamity has agreed to allow it.   :notworthy:   :notworthy:

Two questions:

1. What other GroovyMAME info should we add?

There's almost no GM info in the wiki right now so please suggest specific things that GM noobs need to learn/consider.
(compatible card list thread link, software tools, etc.)

2. Where should we put links to the page(s)?

On the Software Portal page, there is an Arcade Emulators link.

I'm thinking that there should be a link on that Arcade Emulators page to a GroovyMAME page that contains an overview similar to the MAME page and links to the installation guide(s), etc.

What do you guys think?

Scott
    EDIT:WIP draft of overview page

GM compatible video card thread link

mame.ini settings for GroovyMAME

enable multithreading?

set video to ddraw or d3d?

triple buffering
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 08:09:12 am by PL1 »

big10p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Re: GroovyMAME page(s)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 07:45:28 am »
I would love to see a page that goes in to detail about all the mame.ini settings pertinent to GroovyMAME. I'm still a bit confused about things like if and when I should enable multithreading and when it's best to set video to ddraw or b3d, triple buffering - stuff like that.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:47:02 am by big10p »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 08:06:22 am »
I've just realized my GroovyArcade wiki has been deleted, great for Google  :laugh2:
https://code.google.com/archive/p/groovyarcade/wikis/USB_installation.wiki

Recap's GroovyMAME guide already contains all the information big10p is requesting, however I want to hear his opinion about adding it to the wiki:
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=290
(this guide will need to be updated for CRT Emudriver 2.0, so maybe it's better to wait)

Inteall's guide for vysnc offset is also pertinent:
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=293
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

schmerzkaufen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 03, 2023, 02:27:31 pm
  • Multiple Electronic Machine Emulator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 06:56:46 am »
Recap's GroovyMAME guide already contains all the information big10p is requesting, however I want to hear his opinion about adding it to the wiki:
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=290
(this guide will need to be updated for CRT Emudriver 2.0, so maybe it's better to wait)
Well, I've mentioned that before but I've struggled reading that guide, it didn't even mention you could just set 'd3d9ex' in the ini with a simple editing, writing just the term.
Another example; personally I've also struggled with producing a single log because I am far from familiar with command line and you had to show me the whole procedure yourself  Calamity (one essential step was necessary and there was no way I would have guessed it).
One more; I've set the monitor type to 'lcd' since it's what I'm using at the moment and because I've read it in some older thread where that term was listed, I still don't know though if it's a valid option or not but there's no mention in that guide again.

Most advice in the threads and the geedorah guide largely assume people are at ease with command line and can somwhat 'guess' things, when it's a hundred times easier for noobs to edit the ini and, it would be even easier and clear if we had the full list of available terms.

I would also suggest a troubleshooting section in the wiki for the most direct issues you're often asked about, even if it seems redundant it's about catching the lost noob's eye and direct him straight into solutions.

Another suggestion: when it's live please sticky it at the top of the GM forum. ^^
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 07:31:51 am by schmerzkaufen »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 12:57:14 pm »
The problem with any guide or wiki is it gets obsolete very soon. For instance you complain about d3d9ex not being mentioned, when the fact is this option didn't exist when Recap wrote that guide. If you check that thread and scroll down you'll see one post of mine explaining the new option, when it was implemented. Sorry, but please understand it's also hard to guess someone won't find it obvious that the option needs to be edited in mame.ini. Same happens with command line. My assumption is someone willing to deal with a complex software like MAME already knows how to do basic stuff from command line. You can't avoid learning command line forever and blame other people, imho.

Anyway I agree on the need of having a comprehensive guide with all options listed. Writing documentation is a hell of a lot of work, but one that needs to be done at some point.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:44:27 pm by Calamity »
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

jtslade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2023, 11:34:45 am
  • Keep it looking originallish!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 09:57:02 pm »
I wish I was rich so I could send calamity 10 grand cash for what he has done for the hobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.