Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Zero Delay vs Xin Mo?  (Read 4904 times)

Jamesbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2019, 06:13:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Zero Delay vs Xin Mo?
« on: March 09, 2016, 06:35:03 pm »
I realized that when I build my new cab I'm going to have almost enough parts and materials left over to build a Pi based bar-stick.
Everything except the encoders in fact.

I don't want to dump a lot of money into this as I want to concentrate on my new cab, but I have seen the Zero Delay and Xin Mo encoders, and they are pretty cheap.
I understand that they aren't going to be as good as an ipac etc, but they seem to be just the ticket for a low budget luggable machine.

I would need either one Xin Mo (2 player version) or two Zero Delays, and the price is roughly the same either way.

I have searched, but I can't find a direct comparison of these two encoders.

Is one better than the other for any reason?

P.H.U.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2023, 01:25:21 am
  • I own my own arcade machines. Word.
Re: Zero Delay vs Xin Mo?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 07:30:39 pm »
I found issues with Zero Delay creating registry entries that caused difficulty in launching HyperSpin due to Chinese characters and trailing spaces in the device's registry name. That was a pain to fix. Also, i noticed the Zero Delay would often not work on a cold start up of the PC. But works fine if you do a restart, or if you plugged in when Windows was already on/running. With a cab sitting idle and off for a long time, that creates a problem.

I have a XinMo, but haven't installed it yet. Can't say one is better than the other yet. I am hoping the issues I had with Zero Delay are resolved with the XinMo. But you should definitely know that the Zero Delay is not without issue.
When you find great deals on Craigslist for CRT based cabs, exuberance :laugh2: can be a bad thing!

Current Status of Cabs:  2-of-11 (and counting) working as desired  :applaud: :applaud:/:banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

brad808

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2023, 08:18:15 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 07:41:06 pm »
I've used the xin mo in maybe 8 or 9 builds and never had an issue with them on my machines or other's machines. They are great for the price. I also have a zero delay but I've only hooked it up for testing and can't give a proper comparison yet.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:55 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 07:53:16 pm »
I've used both in the past, but I'm strictly a keyboard encoder user now. IPac, JPac or KADE... I figure, why go cheap on one of the most important parts of your cab that can affect playability.

Havi ng said that, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go XinMo.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 07:55:59 pm »
I have two zero delays in my mame setup, no major complaints other than having to splice the provided connectors for longer more organized wire runs.

I suggest strain relief to make sure the USB stays plugged in but I've had no major issues that aren't directly related to them being gamepad interfaces rather than keyboard interfaces.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 07:56:25 pm »
If using the Pi -- Couldn't you just use the GPIO interface   :dunno

Jamesbeat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2019, 06:13:39 pm
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 08:01:57 pm »
If using the Pi -- Couldn't you just use the GPIO interface   :dunno

I probably could, but to be honest, I'm so sick of wrestling with the thing.
I have it set up perfectly now, and I don't want to mess with it.

I can make the problem go away for around $25 by using a cheap encoder.