Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: X-Arcade Tankstick mod experiences?  (Read 10346 times)

MaseMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 08:49:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
X-Arcade Tankstick mod experiences?
« on: March 08, 2016, 09:02:58 am »
Hey everyone. I'm kind of new here, so I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

I purchased an X-Arcade Tankstick about a year ago (model with the trackball in center), and overall I really like it. I mostly just play older arcade games on Mame. I have it sitting in an Xtension arcade cabinet from Rec Room Masters.

I have noticed it's not that great for certain fighting games, like Street Fighter II, etc. This seems to be a common criticism of this controller, as the generic bat sticks X-Arcade uses don't seem to register diagonals for the Hadouken type motions that well. The buttons also don't seem responsive enough. I know convex buttons have become more popular and seem to be the preferred style for fighting games, compared to the classic concave buttons the Tankstick comes with.

I am considering modding the Tankstick with IL Eurojoystick competition sticks and IL or Happ convex competition buttons. Added bonus would be changing the colors from the generic black stick and buttons on the Tankstick. I will be first to admit that I'm not a super handy person...I can take stuff apart, but complex wiring or woodworking is well beyond me. Would these mods be fairly easy to do, or am I asking for a lot of trouble for little improvement?

jtslade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2023, 11:34:45 am
  • Keep it looking originallish!
Re: X-Arcade Tankstick mod experiences?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 09:11:02 am »
I think you answered your own question..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.

MaseMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 09:38:13 am »
I think you answered your own question..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know. So install on these parts should be fairly easy?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 10:04:03 am »
It's just unscrewing stuff and screwing other stuff back in.

I used convex button on my cab because I wanted it to be more modern looking.
After using them a while, I miss the concave ones because your fingers feel more anchored; you know where your fingers are on the button.
With the convex ones I find myself looking down to reset my hand position.

Order a button wrench with your buttons.  It will make it a whole lot easier.

The IL is a direct drop-in.  Not as sure about the happ.  It might be slightly larger than the area that is routed out in the x-arcade.
You might want to measure first.

Here is a thread where I added an extra button to my tankstick:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,100885.msg1066789.html#msg1066789
There are some pics of the inside there if you haven't had yours open yet.

If you want to use Japanese style sticks like the Sanwa JLF, you can mount them with this adapter plate:
http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/mounting-plates/1280-universal-arcade-joystick-adapter-plate.html?search_query=il+adapter+plate&results=8
Be forewarned, the springs in them are super light compared to the x-arcade/happ type joysticks.
I described the stock springs as "dainty".
...but they do really well hitting the corners for fighting games.

MaseMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 04:10:26 pm »
Thanks. After reading more on this and really looking into it, I don't think I'd be comfortable with the Sanwa type joysticks. I think I'm going to give the IL Euro ones a shot. Now it's just a matter of which buttons exactly and what color scheme I want to go with.

geeteoh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2017, 09:28:59 pm
  • Connecting with the 80s
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146453.0.html
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 05:19:38 pm »
I've had some issues with sensitivity on the stock joysticks on my TankStick XArcade control. I fixed this by opening it up and adjusting (bending) the metal levers on the joystick switches a bit. I adjusted them to have the same clearance all the way around. This made mine work a lot better. The joysticks in mine seem very heavy (spring-wise).  I may try sanwa if they fail. I like them in my mame cab.

I have the Xarcade control at work now. It gets a lot of play and I've noticed the buttons sticking a bit. I may change mine as well - but to concave. I have convex in my mame cab at home. I have issues missing the button press when I hit the edge (when I move quickly to a different button). As the edge is a similar height as the collar.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:45:11 pm by geeteoh »

GeoMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 09:40:09 am
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 05:49:47 pm »
Tankstick modifications are usually easy to perform by replacing joysticks/buttons.

I modified my Tankstick by replacing the mediocre joysticks with Ultrasticks and added a spinner in the position of the 2nd player button, which i didn't use. Ultrasticks/spinner came with their own USB cables which i had to run out of the box. No special connections or soldering or wood cutting was required.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:41:33 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 05:56:28 pm »
MaseMan,

Be sure to take a couple photos of the wiring before you start to unplugging everything. The wiring scheme they use can be confusing. I actually just upgraded my Tank Stick sticks to the Happs comp sticks. And I also changed the buttons a little, One row Black the Other row red. Nothing fancy but I think it looks better.

The upgrade should be easy, good luck  :cheers:

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 06:30:37 pm »
MaseMan,

Be sure to take a couple photos of the wiring before you start to unplugging everything.

+1

If you are not real comfortable, I'd go as far as removing the switches from the x-arcade buttons, leaving the wires connected, and then swapping the connectors over one at a time.

It might also be helpful to print out the default x-arcade button mappings, have the x-arcade connected to the pc, and have notepad open so you can test which key a button is posting.
(if you get the leads mixed up and need to get them back to the correct buttons).

dfwdennis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2016, 06:12:23 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 11:19:43 pm »
I am very much not a hardware guy but I've done a lot of mods to my tankstick.  I replaced both joysticks (one with an Ultrastik and one with a IL Eurostick), upgraded some of the buttons and added some extra ones, added a spinner, and hooked up a coin door.  It wasn't hard, so long as you carefully keep track of what you are doing.  I ended up labeling my connections with a sticker before pulling them, to make sure I remember what went where.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 01:03:43 am »
My suggestion.

Sell the X-arcade, once you start replacing the low quality knock-off components inside you will ultimately end up replacing them all. You will just do better starting over from scratch. Build a panel that actually looks good on that xtension cab you have and everyone here will fall all over themselves to help you with any wiring problems you have.

If the early 90s were your arcade time then you will probably want Happ Super joysticks. While I try to put vintage Wico into everything that doesn't demand a certain stick I have also never once felt compelled to switch out a set of supers.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

MaseMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 07:40:12 am »
Thanks guys. A lot of good info in here.

re: Happ Supers, I had read some negative things about those on different forums. Any input on how they'd compare to the IL Euros?

Also, I see on Paradise Arcade Shop you can get the IL convex buttons with different microswitches. Are the Cherrys usually the best option?

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:49:22 am by MaseMan »

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 11:17:36 pm »
While I prefer the Super the Eurostick/Competition is ok as well. It seems like Supers lasted longer than Comps did, as I have had to replace quite a few comps on used machines but I never had to replace a super. Avoid the ultimate at all cost, it is the worst.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

MaseMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 05:00:36 pm »
Finished modding my Tankstick this afternoon. Pretty happy with the results. Also added white and orange translucent buttons on the sides. The joysticks are a definite improvement over the original ones.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 01:24:24 am »
You won't void your warranty.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

MaseMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2016, 07:27:35 pm »
You won't void your warranty.
Yes, I know. That's one of the nice things about the Tankstick. Really love the new buttons I put in. They feel more solid, if that makes sense. Great for fighting games.

7theye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2016, 11:28:40 am
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 11:37:51 pm »
can I ask which buttons you ended up going with and if they light up?

thanks

MaseMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2016, 08:33:18 pm »
can I ask which buttons you ended up going with and if they light up?

thanks
I went with the iL convex translucent ones. They don't light up... I just didn't feel that LEDs were right for this cab. Theoretically I could someday install LEDs under these buttons if I wanted to, though.

ribo916

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2018, 01:56:35 am
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 02:04:15 am »
I opted to take my mod a different way. I jammed a raspberry pi inside to make the x-arcade a travel-worthy arcade. Been great to take to family functions and play all the oldies.

https://ribo916.wixsite.com/thebeardstale/single-post/2018/02/04/X-Arcade-Joystick-Mod

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 03:51:58 am »
I opted to take my mod a different way. I jammed a raspberry pi inside to make the x-arcade a travel-worthy arcade. Been great to take to family functions and play all the oldies.

https://ribo916.wixsite.com/thebeardstale/single-post/2018/02/04/X-Arcade-Joystick-Mod

Nice job, recommended a friend do the same to his :)