Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Constantly getting dust and small bugs landing on paint  (Read 4440 times)

bluelight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2016, 11:01:57 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Constantly getting dust and small bugs landing on paint
« on: March 01, 2016, 11:17:21 pm »
Hey guys,

So I have been priming and painting my cabinet for a while now and made it to the last coat tonight.

My issue is each time, I ended up with dust and small bugs landing in the paint and getting stuck. This wasn't too big of a problem for previous coats cause I lightly sanded everything and it smoothed out ok for the next coat. However, I just did my final thinned coat of paint tonight and of course, more of the same problem.. dust and bugs.

I don't know what to do about it now if its my last coat... my only thought is wet sanding with 2000 grit but I have never done it, only seen it done in videos. I still have some edges of my MDF that isn't sealed so not sure how that works if wet sanding... if it will mess up the edges.

There is no option for me to not have dust and bugs it seems.. I live in Florida and did this in my garage. Did it once with the doors closed... I DON'T recommend that lol.. the fumes are way too bad.

So now I just leave some doors cracked. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this on the final coat without me having to spend another week painting. I am so ready to be done and move on. Is wet sanding a good option?

bluelight

• Offline Offline
Re: Constantly getting dust and small bugs landing on paint
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 12:10:28 pm »
Anybody? I really need some advice on this I don't want to end up messing up my mdf with wet sanding because water gets on the raw edges. I am planning to tape the edges to help.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 12:21:31 pm »
Some pictures of your situation might help a little. Maybe post some pictures of what you have going on. Pictures speak a 1000 words as the saying goes.

I think the answer might be obvious but you might not like to hear it. I know I wouldn't...

You need to build a paint booth.

It will probably cost you about $100 but you can build one out of PVC pipe, plastic drop cloths, and an exhaust fan with a furnace filter. In fact, this is probably necessary even IF you didn't have a bug problem in your area.

yea, it's going to be a real pain in the arse to have to stop what you are doing to build a paint booth...but if you want a perfectly smooth surface, this might be the only way.

Something that looks like this:

EDIT: If you go the paint booth rout, I'd also reccommend a paint respirator
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 12:23:27 pm by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

bluelight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 01:00:17 pm »
Some pictures of your situation might help a little. Maybe post some pictures of what you have going on. Pictures speak a 1000 words as the saying goes.

I think the answer might be obvious but you might not like to hear it. I know I wouldn't...

You need to build a paint booth.

It will probably cost you about $100 but you can build one out of PVC pipe, plastic drop cloths, and an exhaust fan with a furnace filter. In fact, this is probably necessary even IF you didn't have a bug problem in your area.

yea, it's going to be a real pain in the arse to have to stop what you are doing to build a paint booth...but if you want a perfectly smooth surface, this might be the only way.

Something that looks like this:

EDIT: If you go the paint booth rout, I'd also reccommend a paint respirator

That would have been good in the beginning but not a solution at this point. I am confused on fixing the paint nibs, bugs, dust... I feel wetsanding may be the option but looking for a 2nd opinion on that.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 01:34:08 pm »
You should be able to wet sand or 2000 grit out the worst of it man.

Watch some OND videos.

Don't use excess water though and be careful around edges.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 03:13:32 pm »
   **EDIT**
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:12:59 am by jennifer »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 03:39:57 pm »
I don't get it. He said that he needs to get rid of the dust and bugs that are stuck to the final coat...correct?

And he is going to do that by sanding...ok that's fine. But then the surface is going to be dulled again.

So now what? He is going to have to paint again. Thus, my suggestion for the paint booth. Otherwise, he will just have bugs and dust again. Rinse wash repeat. Bash head against wall because nothing has changed.  :dizzy:
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

bluelight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 03:46:37 pm »
I don't get it. He said that he needs to get rid of the dust and bugs that are stuck to the final coat...correct?

And he is going to do that by sanding...ok that's fine. But then the surface is going to be dulled again.

So now what? He is going to have to paint again. Thus, my suggestion for the paint booth. Otherwise, he will just have bugs and dust again. Rinse wash repeat. Bash head against wall because nothing has changed.  :dizzy:

Well that's the unknown.. I have seen people wetsanding full size cabs with 2000 grit as a final step to get a laminate style finish. Not sure if Jennifer suggestion was to repaint after sanding with dry 320 grit but seems I would have to in that case cause dry would scuff it up too much. As for spray booth, not an option. I am over budget and on a deadline so cant do that .

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 03:54:16 pm »
I have seen people wetsanding full size cabs with 2000 grit as a final step to get a laminate style finish.

So you would rather wet-sand an entire cabinet, rather than build a proper paint booth?

Curious what deadline you have to meet? Are you selling this machine? Giving it as a gift?

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 03:59:07 pm »
    **EDIT**
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:13:31 am by jennifer »

bluelight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 04:00:55 pm »
I have seen people wetsanding full size cabs with 2000 grit as a final step to get a laminate style finish.

So you would rather wet-sand an entire cabinet, rather than build a proper paint booth?

Curious what deadline you have to meet? Are you selling this machine? Giving it as a gift?

Gift and it's a bartop. No offense but  I don't want to hear anymore about a paint booth. I've told you why... More than one reason so let's move on please. Plus what Jennifer just said..

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 04:17:03 pm »

Gift and it's a bartop. No offense but  I don't want to hear anymore about a paint booth. I've told you why... More than one reason so let's move on please. Plus what Jennifer just said..

No worries, just trying to help. Good luck with it and hope you find a method that works for you.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 04:23:29 pm »
      **EDIT**
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:14:07 am by jennifer »

RetroArcadePro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2018, 04:35:41 pm
  • Here for everything and anything arcades.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 12:52:37 pm »
Try to blow out your garage and let everything settle out. Or I like to make a quick rig to hold plastic or some kind of sheeting over the object then anything falling on it is greatly minimized

dezmond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2017, 04:12:40 pm
  • Gonna Build Something.......
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 01:29:45 pm »
I find a good sweep and wet down the floors works great..  I also try to do it early morning and I do a quick bug spray in the garage and then paint in about an hour...  It has worked for me in the past..

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:13:27 pm
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 07:31:25 pm »
So I sent you back a PM to your question.  I hadn't checked this thread before that but if your'e asking about dealing with dust and bugs getting on wet paint the only answer is going to be a preventative one isn't it?  Shielding your work, cleaning up before hand, wiping it down before painting etc.  If the paint work is riddled with grit and bugs to start with any kind of finishing effort is going to be compromised no matter what approach you take.  Paint has to go on clean in a dust free environment - that is the bottom line.

There is no substitute for wet sanding and polishing for a very high gloss finish (if that's what's important to you).  A clean satin finish just needs good surface prep and even paint application with a satin finish paint - no more.

Here's the old tent I use for a spray booth:

Here's the results of wet sanding and following the methods in the videos:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 07:43:43 pm »
I wish ZapCon were doing panels - I'd totally sit through Ond's tutorial on painting.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

bluelight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 07:55:49 pm »

Thanks for your reply on PM Ond. The tent is a good and easy idea.. I'll figure something out this weekend. I'm a little confused about paint Sheens. If you wet sand and Polish a satin finish vs a glossy finish black paint, would they both end up looking the same or would the glossy still be shinier? Also, just to clarify something I think u said in a video, would paint not stick to the surface after 2000 grit wetsanding? Does it have to be 600 instead for paint to stick? Just curious about these things as I think on every thing.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:13:27 pm
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 08:08:32 pm »
I wish ZapCon were doing panels - I'd totally sit through Ond's tutorial on painting.

That'd be fun!  ;D

Thanks for your reply on PM Ond. The tent is a good and easy idea.. I'll figure something out this weekend. I'm a little confused about paint Sheens. If you wet sand and Polish a satin finish vs a glossy finish black paint, would they both end up looking the same or would the glossy still be shinier? Also, just to clarify something I think u said in a video, would paint not stick to the surface after 2000 grit wetsanding? Does it have to be 600 instead for paint to stick? Just curious about these things as I think on every thing.

Gloss paint lends itself better to polishing (its composition is designed to) but yes you could wet sand and polish Satin paint and get a polished look as well.  You only wet sand 2000 for final finish, not when applying coats of paint, 600 is the right grade to ensure paint adhesion in between coats.  That clean dull plastic look is the aim, then finish off with 2000 and finally fine polish (just like in the videos) I know I drone on in them, I'm far more interesting in real life!  :D

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 12:41:04 am »
      **EDIT**
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 02:04:39 am by jennifer »

bluelight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 09:51:42 pm »

That'd be fun!  ;D

Gloss paint lends itself better to polishing (its composition is designed to) but yes you could wet sand and polish Satin paint and get a polished look as well.  You only wet sand 2000 for final finish, not when applying coats of paint, 600 is the right grade to ensure paint adhesion in between coats.  That clean dull plastic look is the aim, then finish off with 2000 and finally fine polish (just like in the videos) I know I drone on in them, I'm far more interesting in real life!  :D

I should have mentioned to everyone that even if I had a tent or spray booth type setup, I probably would still have problems cause I also have hairs and sweat falling onto the paint while painting LOL. I think I need a space suit or hazmat suit AND a quarantine bubble in order to get good results haha.

Anyway, I asked about painting on something that had been 2000 wet sanded only cause I did your method as a test on one of my smaller pieces and although it looks really cool (like a black marble countertop or something) it doesn't have that look that I want.. I am nostalgic of the 80s and 90s arcades so I guess satin is what I really way. Therefore, I wetsanded that piece with 600 grit (since thats what I had left over) and am going to attempt to repaint that piece as a test tonight... hopefully the paint will stick and that will be all that is needed.

Also, I am testing a method for this piece that someone mentioned either here or elsewhere. I have a cardboard box that I wiped out the inside of real good.. made sure it was taped on the bottom.. and I lined it all with tin foil just as an added precaution in case any cardboard fibers are capable of breaking loose.

Then tonight, I will roll on some thinned black satin paint on that piece and quickly but carefully cover it immediately with the cardboard box upside down and let dry.

HOPEFULLY, the result will be a smooth, hair/bug/sweat/blood/booger/skin flake free satin finish. LMAO!!!

Seriously guys, I probably make myself sound like a nasty whino but I'm really not... I guess my hair is falling out and I also have a beard but don't know exactly where they are coming from. :D

I'll let you guys know how that test piece works out. If all goes well I will do the same to a few others and then I should be done finally. Atleast I made progress today and got the control panel to a point where I can call it done and can start the button/joystick wiring and such.

jtslade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2023, 11:34:45 am
  • Keep it looking originallish!
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 11:06:52 pm »
An old tent, that is very smart... I'm gonna use that some day!!! tY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.