Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Launchbox (Big Box) vs Hyperspin  (Read 38987 times)

coldcoffeecup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 19, 2016, 12:40:17 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Launchbox (Big Box) vs Hyperspin
« on: February 29, 2016, 11:52:45 am »
I've been looking at many of the common arcade frontends lately, trying to figure out which one I want to go with for my new cabinet. So far I've looked into Maximus Arcade, Hyperspin, MaLa, and Launchbox (Big-Box). Of all the free solutions, it seems that Hyperspin is a very popular choice. Personally, I think it's way to busy, and I find it a bit overwhelming to look at. In contrast, I think that Launchbox's Big-Box is a much cleaner alternative, despite it not being free.

Am I crazy here, or does anybody else agree that Hyperspin is a bit cluttered over the top? Even if Big-Box isn't free, it seems to me that it is a much cleaner solution.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Launchbox (Big Box) vs Hyperspin
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 12:30:26 pm »
Never heard of Big-Box. But you determine how busy you want Hyperspin to be. Never had an issue with it.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

coldcoffeecup

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 12:33:51 pm »
Never heard of Big-Box. But you determine how busy you want Hyperspin to be. Never had an issue with it.

Here is Launchbox's demo for Big-Box:

Maybe I'll have to look into Hyperspin a bit more to give it a fair comparison. I was drawing my conclusions based off of youtube demo videos, but I guess that might not be entirely fair.

The one thing I have ascertained, is that I probably don't want to fully configure multiple FEs, since they seem a bit time consuming :)

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 12:34:36 pm »
Same here. Never heard of big box but it looks neat. If you have enough patience, you can make Hyperspin look just about any way you want.

If you don't like to tweak and don't like how Hyperspin looks by default...then it's not for you.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 12:37:52 pm »
See, I'm not a fan of game text lists. Part of what makes Hyperspin and AtomicFE appealing to me is that I can navigate by image wheel. I don't want my arcade cab to look like an HTPC.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 12:41:20 pm »
I don't want my arcade cab to look like an HTPC.

+1 While Big box looks neat...it looks like more of a Steam Big picture replacement. In other words, looks like more of a PC front end rather than arcade machine front end.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

coldcoffeecup

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 12:42:29 pm »
See, I'm not a fan of game text lists. Part of what makes Hyperspin and AtomicFE appealing to me is that I can navigate by image wheel. I don't want my arcade cab to look like an HTPC.

That's a good point, and I suppose it is ultimately where the line will be drawn for me. Text list, or image wheel. Thanks for the feedback.

Now I just have to make up my mind and choose a software package...

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 12:44:21 pm »

That's a good point, and I suppose it is ultimately where the line will be drawn for me. Text list, or image wheel. Thanks for the feedback.

Now I just have to make up my mind and choose a software package...
It's good to do your homework. With Hyperspin, you don't need to run all the themes. You can have an image wheel, standard background of choice, and a snap/video frame and call it a day.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 12:48:48 pm »
Hyperspin can be tweaked quite a bit actually. Here is a screenshot below of my highly modified Hyperspin theme I did for a small project. It's like iTunes cover-flow with box art on the bottom with a video preview on top. That's it. No text, no directions, no silly animations. Just find the game and it loads the video preview. Maybe not what you are going for but it illustrates how different it looks from the default HS layout.

coldcoffeecup

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 01:24:57 pm »
Hyperspin can be tweaked quite a bit actually. Here is a screenshot below of my highly modified Hyperspin theme I did for a small project. It's like iTunes cover-flow with box art on the bottom with a video preview on top. That's it. No text, no directions, no silly animations. Just find the game and it loads the video preview. Maybe not what you are going for but it illustrates how different it looks from the default HS layout.

That's a great example, thanks! I think what I need to do is probably just install Hyperspin, and play around a bit with the options.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:31:51 pm by coldcoffeecup »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 03:08:54 pm »

I can't recommend Mala since it's not being developed and hasn't been updated to work with the newest version of MAME, BUT....

An underutilized feature is the ability to use marquee images for the gamelist instead of text.
They don't have to be the marquee images, any folder of properly named images will work. 

I wanted to do a Mala layout using the Hyperspin wheel images just for the sake of seeing if it would work, but I never got around to it.
(even though it's as simple as checking a box and specifying a path)

I agree about not wanting the front-end to look like Windows Media Center. 
I don't care for it looking like Ultracade either though.  :lol

« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:11:52 pm by BadMouth »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 03:11:41 pm »

I can't recommend Mala since it's not being developed and hasn't been updated to work with the newest version of MAME, BUT....

An underutilized feature is the ability to use marquee images for the gamelist instead of text.
They don't have to be the marquee images, any folder of properly named images will work. 

I wanted to do a Mala layout using the Hyperspin wheel images just for the sake of seeing if it would work, but I never got around to it.
Yeah, see, that's cool. I've only every used those HS and Atomic, but whatever I use, it has to support imagelists.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 03:12:48 pm »
I'd rather it look like Ultracade than Plex for Arcades, myself.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 07:22:23 pm »
I'd look into Attract Mode. It's being very actively developed and it doesn't require you to use 10 different programs to get it to work properly.  It is also compatible with Mala (and to a lesser extent) Hyperspin layouts. I switched to it after getting frustrated with HS and never really looked back.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

tim258

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2017, 08:49:05 pm
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 03:18:06 pm »
Yeah hyperspin is real tough for new users I'm still trying to wrap my head around getting this thing set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tim258

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 03:19:49 pm »
I guess I'm used to the new style programs were you drag-and-drop and it searches for files and get them set up and like plex or XBMC

tim258

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 03:20:16 pm »
I really wish hyperspin would be more user-friendly in that matter

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 03:42:18 pm »
I'm another Attractmode convert.  You can make that think do about whatever you want. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 03:45:25 pm »
I'm another Attractmode convert.  You can make that think do about whatever you want.
Do you have to buy it dinner first?

s_busby_uk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2017, 02:28:51 pm
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2016, 09:11:40 am »

Appreciate this is an old forum post but figured I'd point out for anyone else who comes across this thread while researching forum opinions on Launchbox that the Big Box mode now appears to allow for game logos in place of the text, ala Hyperspin. See the top video here:

https://www.launchbox-app.com/big-box

dalehitchy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2016, 02:56:37 pm
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 05:53:17 pm »
Launchbox / big box is my favourite front end. It's so simple to use. It uses a wizard when importing your games.... Asking you which platform you want to import and what emulator to use. It then parses with emu movies and various other sources and asks you what kind of media you want to import. Its so easy my mum could do it.

I presume the comments about text message is old as they've had this since I got launch box early this year. Loads of themes becoming more available now. Mine is simple which I prefer.... But other themes show box art and game descriptions if you require.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2016, 10:01:28 pm »
Anything is better than hyperspin. You need to read and reread tutorials to figure out how to set it up.

I use attractmode. There is a few otger good front ends as well. ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, steam is better than hyperspin.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2016, 11:34:12 pm »
Anything is better than hyperspin. You need to read and reread tutorials to figure out how to set it up.

I use attractmode. There is a few otger good front ends as well. ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, steam is better than hyperspin.
I'm going to disagree with this. Hyperspin is just fine. The hard work is worth the reward.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2016, 02:54:42 am »
Well it's just fine if you like the way it looks.  If you don't then you are doing an awful lot of work to make it like other front-ends that are a lot easier to setup.  It really boils down to if you like the wheel and the bombardment of flash animations. 

lisowskikevin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:49:55 pm
  • If you take shortcuts, you get cut short.
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2016, 05:33:21 pm »
Hyperspin isn't easy to setup, i spent sooooo much time watching and reading tutorials but man, what a beautiful clean front end. I put some custom music to certain game themes like when i scroll to afterburner the song "danger zone" pumps through my cab's speakers lol

When I have people over they are blown away at the interface, it really is a nice finishing touch on your cab that you've spent so much time on. I hate hate hate the idea of it looking like a computer list. Hyper spin is too busy for some people but like others have said you can adjust that.

That being said everyone has an opinion but man I'm glad I took the long road because in reality once I set it up, that's it! Shouldn't need to do it again unless I build another cab.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2016, 05:41:30 pm »
once I set it up, that's it! Shouldn't need to do it again unless I build another cab.

HS doesn't need much setup on a 2nd machine. It's self-contained in its own folder. Just copy the folder to your 2nd build, tweak your controls and away you go. Easy peasy.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2016, 06:05:13 pm »
once I set it up, that's it! Shouldn't need to do it again unless I build another cab.

HS doesn't need much setup on a 2nd machine. It's self-contained in its own folder. Just copy the folder to your 2nd build, tweak your controls and away you go. Easy peasy.
Exactly. I have a build of Hyperspin I set up in 2011 that I've never needed to update. I just copy the folder over to the project I'm working on. Having said that, I have worked with a newer versions of it, and yes, there is a curve curve, but in the end I think your hard work pays off.

I agree there are other front ends that are easier to use. I just hate seeing Hyperspin get such a bad rap by people who tried setting it up once and gave up frustrated, while there are others out there like me who definitely think it's worth the reward.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2016, 06:17:55 pm »

Hyperspin isn't easy to setup, i spent sooooo much time watching and reading tutorials but man, what a beautiful clean front end. I put some custom music to certain game themes like when i scroll to afterburner the song "danger zone" pumps through my cab's speakers lol

When I have people over they are blown away at the interface, it really is a nice finishing touch on your cab that you've spent so much time on. I hate hate hate the idea of it looking like a computer list. Hyper spin is too busy for some people but like others have said you can adjust that.

Exactly, all I need are the nice-looking wheels. I have themes running on mine, but if I didn't, the wheels would more than enough make up for it.

I mean, I build an arcade cabinet, not at home theater PC Circa 2007, which is what the lists remind me of. Even the home theater PC software of today that's a hell of a lot more graphical , and uses less lists of text.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 03:53:07 am »
I used to use Maximus when I first started which is so easy to set up but lacks customisation and is no longer updated or supported.

The lack of support and the urge for something nicer caused me to move to HS and I am happy I did.

It is not that user friendly to set up IMO it was a steep learning curve and it took me about 2 days to set it up properly and get my art packs etc for around 5 emulators.

But as Yotsuya says I think its worth the effort once its set up and running the way you want it looks smart and flows well.

Also as said as long as you keep all path names the same you can just copy everything over to reinstall on another machine.

I have everything backed up to a external HDD and in the event i need to i copy it all back to C: and it works.

So yeah I would say its short term pain for a long term gain.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 11:46:39 am »
I'm an avid Hyperspin user. It isn't that hard to setup, check out Simply Austin's tutorials on YouTube to get started.

I love how customizable the interface is, the theming app is a bit tricky at first but very powerful, you can control just about every aspect. You can even change the animated components with a little Adobe Flash knowledge.

Notice the console wheels in my custom theme below are very plain and simple without any animated transition, videos etc. You can make it as plain as you like.

Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

Guywiththegun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2020, 12:00:21 pm
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2016, 01:45:37 pm »
Can you get rid of the "wheel" in Hyperspin. I'm deciding on which FE to use now. Launchbox looks good but I don't want to spend $20 on something before I can even try it.

I'd be into Hyperspin if you could make the wheel a regular list. Wouldn't mind doing some tweaking to not make it so busy (another reason I never went with Hyperspin . . I don't want my cab to be more FE than Arcade).

s_busby_uk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2017, 02:28:51 pm
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2016, 02:01:11 pm »
To be fair, you can use Launchbox without paying for it, you just can't use Big Box mode (and a handful of other features). Granted, Big Box is the front-end you'd be using for your cab, but you still need Launchbox behind it so you can at least get a feel for the program and how easy it is to add emulators/games before deciding if you want to hand over any cash.

Launchbox is constantly being updated so it feels like something approximating a professional product - part of the reason why I felt justified in paying for a Premium licence.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2016, 08:09:58 pm »
Can you get rid of the "wheel" in Hyperspin. I'm deciding on which FE to use now. Launchbox looks good but I don't want to spend $20 on something before I can even try it.

I'd be into Hyperspin if you could make the wheel a regular list. Wouldn't mind doing some tweaking to not make it so busy (another reason I never went with Hyperspin . . I don't want my cab to be more FE than Arcade).
The main point of Hyperspin is to use the wheel.  If you want an HTPC look, there are plenty of FEs out there - why bother with HS?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2016, 11:24:38 pm »
One thing that launchbox is great for and it's something that I've been doing....  If you make a free account you can build a database of your physical games on the site.  It's great for collecting. 

I think we can all agree that the main reason to use hyperspin is the look of it.  So it just boils down to aesthetic taste.  Where I used to make FEs I went through all the stages of bells and whistles.  One unreleased build of Lazarus basically rendered and auto-played a game of gradius I went so far down the rabbit hole.  After you come out the other side, you realize that all you need is a list that displays as many games on the screen as possible and shows some good previews of the game.  Game Launcher got it right nearly 20 years ago.  There is nothing wrong with hyperspin at all.... it's a quality front end, and some of the animations are beautiful, but it isn't exactly practical.  Try scrolling through a list with hundreds of games and you will see what I mean. 

ArcadeBliss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2023, 11:47:26 pm
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2016, 01:55:16 am »
One thing that launchbox is great for and it's something that I've been doing....  If you make a free account you can build a database of your physical games on the site.  It's great for collecting. 

I think we can all agree that the main reason to use hyperspin is the look of it.  So it just boils down to aesthetic taste.  Where I used to make FEs I went through all the stages of bells and whistles.  One unreleased build of Lazarus basically rendered and auto-played a game of gradius I went so far down the rabbit hole.  After you come out the other side, you realize that all you need is a list that displays as many games on the screen as possible and shows some good previews of the game.  Game Launcher got it right nearly 20 years ago.  There is nothing wrong with hyperspin at all.... it's a quality front end, and some of the animations are beautiful, but it isn't exactly practical.  Try scrolling through a list with hundreds of games and you will see what I mean.
Yup been there done that.  That's the reason i switched to Attract-Mode especially with the ability to generate and filter game list on the fly.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Haloman800

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2020, 12:40:00 am
  • Awfully Awesome
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2016, 05:56:48 am »
As others have said, Hyperspin IMO is the most feature rich and does what I want, but is such a pain to set up. Even cloning my HDD from a 2012 build, I had to devote considerable time getting everything just right.

In the end, it's worth it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2017, 12:18:07 pm »
Thanks for this guys.  I am looking for a front end.  Definitely a good read and valued opinions.