Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Model 2 Emu X axis sensitivity?  (Read 7718 times)

MrThunderwing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
Model 2 Emu X axis sensitivity?
« on: February 24, 2016, 03:56:47 pm »
Has anyone ever come across a way to change the X Axis sensitivity on Model 2 Emu? I normally play with a wheel and I have an additional one for LAN games, but recently I've been a bit with doing Mulitplayer games involving more than two people on a single PC, and for reasons of space and convenience it's easier to just get each player playing with a Joypad. This is fine for , but Daytona is waaay too twitchy with a Joypad. It's playable, but it's far too easy to accidentally oversteer and end up putting the car into a skid which is then equally hard to recover from.

I've been trying to find if there is a way to change the X Axis sensitivity (like you can in Supermodel) but so far I'm drawing a blank. There doesn't seem to be anything in the Model 2 ini that I can see to change the setting and I can't do anything with the input file in the CFG foder. Google doesn't seem to be much use either. Does anyone here know of a way to alter it?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Model 2 Emu X axis sensitivity?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 06:06:22 pm »
Well you can adjust it at the programming level, but my guess is as soon as window focus returns to model 2, the model 2 settings will take over. 

I've been thinking on this one ever since you posted it, I just don't have a good answer for you. 

It might be possible to use one of those apps that makes a standard controller look like a 360 controller, or use one of the virtual controller programs that allow you to adjust sensitivity. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 07:35:09 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions Howard. I'll have a look into virtual controller programs and see if it offers any solution. At present I'm using Motionjoy DS3 tool with three PS3 Dualshock 3 controllers to emulate Xbox 360 pads, I must admit I didn't think to check if the actual program itself lets you change the sensitivity - I'll see if I can make any changes with it.

One workaround I experimented with this afternoon is to go back to a LAN set-up with one of the PCs emulating two versions of Model 2. This PC is also operating in Dual Screen mode, so each player gets a screen of their own (for a three player set-up) which means at least two people will be able to use wheels and only the third will have to put up with a joypad. This 3 way link-up also worked for the latest version of MAME, but that creates even more problems as far as inputs goes, as although you can turn global inputs on in MAME (for multiple versions running on a single system) only the in focus window will support direct input and Xinput, meaning someone's going to have to play using the keyboard (or joy2key, meaning a pad but no analog controls).

Edit: There was indeed an option within DS3 tool to change the X axis sensitivity. I've changed it from it's default value of 12 up to 66 and that's done the job nicely. Daytona handles ok with a pad now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 01:59:39 pm by MrThunderwing »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 02:42:19 pm »
Well maybe you can help me then.  I'm trying to find a DS3-like app that works on regular pc controllers.  You see the Xbox One has a really good app to stream games to the pc but the only catch is you have to use xbox360/xbox one controllers.  People have had success with ds3 to use ps4 gamepads complete with rumble, on the xbox one streaming app. 

You see what I'm getting at here.... if one of these apps can detect a pc wheel, pc rigs could play forza and similar games with minimum effort.

I would have a hard time justifying a xbox one version of the newer wheels since the console isn't selling all that great and there likely won't be many more racing games released on it. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 05:07:44 pm »
What about something like this?

http://www.x360ce.com/

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 06:21:49 pm »
I don't think ce will work.  Xbox one streaming is an integrated metro app, so you can't add or manipulate dlls in the folder.  It needs to be something that makes a virtual joystick and has it show up in windows control panel all the time. 

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 02:34:35 am »
Hi guys. I built a model 2 specific Astro City Cab some time ago and initially loaded it with all the model 2 joystick games. Then to expand the library and for a bit of fun I added Sega rally and Daytona. I also had this problem. My work around was to use joy2key and set the keyboard repeat rate low, this allowed turning without skidding. It took some time to get it right but it worked fine. Good luck

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 07:42:47 pm »
Thanks Vandale. I think the DS3 solution should be enough for Daytona, but that Joy2Key solution could be just the thing for Virtua Racing for the players using the two halves of the keyboard.

orangepink

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 03:56:46 am »
I've been wondering about Daytona's sensitivity for years. Can people play this with a controller? I find it impossible.

x360ce has shown me that it's possible to change the calibration of the Xbox 360 Controller but I still can't seem to make it handle better on Daytona. There's Anti-Dead Zone, Dead Zone and Sensitivity, which is already on 0. The car comes out of turns badly and is difficult to keep smooth, unlike Sega Rally or Manx TT etc.

One thing it helped with though, was disabling the vibration in Sega Rally. I didn't even have Force Feedback settings enabled in the emulator yet it would still vibrate. So it fixed that, though I can't get it back on now, even if I wanted. Weird. But cheers.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:51:33 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 04:49:09 am »
Keep in mind that x360ce introduces a noticeble lag on your xinput pad (experienced on my driving cabinet, 360 pad hack): so, even if you solve the sensitivity problem, you will need to face this new issue then...

orangepink

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 04:54:43 am »
You're right, I guess it will but I didn't notice.

Has anyone played Daytona with a NeGcon? The twist in that looks quite large compared to a thumbstick where you're going from central to full steering in a short push so I wonder if that would help..

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 06:09:12 am »
The DS3 solution I recommended seemed to work pretty well, although I guess that only really helps if you're using a Dualshock 3 pad...

I imagine playing with a NeGcon could work, but could be challenging in a different way. I used to own a JogCon for Ridge Racer Type 4 way back in the PS1 days and whilst it was a fun little peripheral, I can't say it ever improved my driving in any way. I do regret selling it all those years ago now though.

orangepink

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 02:23:24 pm »
Oh, I forgot to say that I was hoping that DS3 would work with my Dual Shock 2 controller but it didn't detect it. It's an option on the front page of the program but I don't know what went wrong. It's found in emulators no problem.

The JogCon looks like it makes things more difficult, but it's a nice idea. The pro drivers seem to use the NegCon so I guess it works well.