Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2/3/4 person driving  (Read 4113 times)

CryptKeeper24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2017, 09:08:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
2/3/4 person driving
« on: February 26, 2016, 04:38:09 pm »
I apologize if this is somehow an old question but I didn't find a definitive list in my searches.

Other than Sega Model 2, what are other great multi-player/LAN racing emulators to consider?

thanks,
-CryptKeeper24

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: 2/3/4 person driving
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 05:03:30 pm »
There isn't a definitive list due to various things but....

Mame now has lan support for certain titles. 

Most sega pc games have a lan mode, including outrun 2006. 

Most pc games in general have some sort of online mode.

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:44:13 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:10:59 pm »
I think what you really meant to ask is what kind of experience are you looking for? 

Head to head?  Or just being in the same game at the same time, where you might interact? 

If you want the Daytona (daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyytttooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!) multiplayer experience, you can get that on Sega Model 2.  I know someone here got it all working in a multi player mode.  I think you can get Triforce Mario Kart (2?) working in multiplayer mode too.  (via the Dolphin emulator...)

PC games are more built towards online play - i'm not sure how much direct head to head gameplay you can get setup easily.  (like, direct competition) 

I think I technically have most of the parts in my garage to build a second driving cab, but I haven't come up with a good enough reason yet.  Multiplayer could be that reason, if I could figure out a set of games worthy enough to do it with. 

CryptKeeper24

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2017, 09:08:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 08:29:26 pm »
What does head to head mean exactly?  I guess head-to-head means just two playing against each other?  Versus playing in the same game means two playing against each other PLUS the computer/sim cars?

Actually I should explain a little more.  I've built several arcade machines, mame 1980's classics etc, but never any driving cabs.
I'm getting pretty confident in my woodworking skills.

So I'm wondering what's the most realistic driving multi-player experience, where each would have their own wheel & seat playing against each other (and/or computer drivers).  If I'm going to bother building a dual seat cab I might as well go big!

ant2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 02:52:24 am »
I've been researching and tinkering, as no one has a definitive list or instructions. I built a second rig just for LAN mode.

Take a look at : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,138563.0.html

Hoping to update that thread soon as I've got alot more games set up  now.

Mariokart gp2 cannot be played 2 player as far as i know. Fursphere if you have found a way then let us all know :)

ant2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 03:00:00 am »
There isn't a definitive list due to various things but....

Mame now has lan support for certain titles. 

Most sega pc games have a lan mode, including outrun 2006. 

Most pc games in general have some sort of online mode.

Ho howard, where can i find instructions for setting up mame for lan and the list of racing games supported?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:30:55 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2016, 05:58:22 am »
I've never been able to get the PC version of Sega Rally 2 to link-up in Network mode between my two PC's on a LAN (using the TCP/IP option). I create a team game on one PC try to join it on the other by adding the other PC's IP address, but it never finds any teams to join (even though I'm definitely putting in the correct IP address). Anyone got any suggestions as to what could be the problem, as I know a few people here have got a network running without issue? It's set to go through the firewall on each so it shouldn't be that. One thing I did think of is that maybe it doesn't like doing a link with two copies of the same game? I ran into an issue like this before when trying to set-up Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 over a LAN (using a fix to get the network running on Windows 7) as both versions of the game were installed using the same installation code from when I bought it. I ended up having to un-install one of the versions, looking online for a different install code, reinstalling using the different code and then, magically, the two version of the game could see each other across the network. The only slightly flaw in this plan as far as Sega Rally 2 is concerned is that the version I've got is an ISO I downloaded from an abandonware site ages that's never needed a code to work, I just mount the ISO and Bob's your uncle.

So yeah, any suggestions as to how to get them to see each other gratefully received.

ant2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 03:00:25 pm »
annoyingly I never got Sega Rally 2 (PC Version) to work properly, so I didn't even get this far.
1.)I need to have the resolution set to 1360x768, otherwise every time the game loads I have to wait 30 seconds for the screen to re-sync to the new non native resolution.
I tried hacking the codes as per the post on the model3 forums with a hex editor, but I couldn't ever get it working. - If any one has a solution to this let me know.

2.) I couldn't ever map my wheel so that the controls would work. I might get something working like steering, but the not the pedals. Tried changing to dual pedals etc. My second plugged in joystick was definitely the source of most of those problems, but even after disabling the second joystick it would not work.

I spent combined 4 hours on it and then gave up, as after the first 2 hours I uninstalled it and vowed to never look at it again :)

If there is some easy solution, I could have a look again and probably debug the networking bit.

What i'd do is find out what port  the slave is trying to connect on, then check that the remote machine is actually successfully bound to that port by looking at netstat -rn

If the port is bound on the pc which is the master, but you are unable to see if the slave machine is sending the packet via netstat -a  ,i'd install wireshark on both machines and review the packet capture, to see if it's even trying to send out packets and find out, or  if something is blocking it, software firewall etc

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 04:41:41 pm »
What i'd do is find out what port  the slave is trying to connect on, then check that the remote machine is actually successfully bound to that port by looking at netstat -rn

If the port is bound on the pc which is the master, but you are unable to see if the slave machine is sending the packet via netstat -a  ,i'd install wireshark on both machines and review the packet capture, to see if it's even trying to send out packets and find out, or  if something is blocking it, software firewall etc

Thanks for the advice. (I don't actually understand what any of it means - but hey, that's what Google's for, right?). I'll do a bit of research about the stuff you've mentioned and see if it helps. In the meantime I can cross off my theory about needing different physical copies of the game. I uninstalled my old version from one PC and installed a new version from a freshly downloaded ISO and that didn't make any difference (on the plus side though I can now launch this new version straight into the game from the exe without having to mount the ISO first, so y'know minor improvement). It's bugging me though, I can get Outrun 2k, Model 2 Emu and MAME to all play nice together, so why won't Sega Rally 2 play ball?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 06:55:43 pm »
Ok, so i ran netstart -rn from a cmd prompt, but I haven't got a clue what I'm looking at- how do I find out what port the slave is trying to connect on? I also ran netstat -a and it looked like something was happening, but again, not really sure what I was looking for. If you could break it down a bit more I'd be very appreciate, cheers.

As an addendum (and a last ditch attempt to get it working) I downloaded the demo version of Sega Rally 2 on each PC and tried to link that way but still no dice. I alt-tabbed out of them to see if anything had popped up and there was a prompt from the firewall on one PC saying that Sega Rally 2 was trying to access the network and asking for me to give it permission which I did (so something must be happening) but that still didn't make any difference, neither machine can find the other when I alternate the slave/host set-up.

Edit: Oh, and FWIW, this is on Windows 7 home Premium 64-bit on both PCs.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 06:57:49 pm by MrThunderwing »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 10:45:37 pm »
I'm wondering if someone in our vast talent pool knows anything about game servers.  I would like to restore 2k6's netplay mode along with some other titles but I've never attempted anything like that before.  I'm sure "program x"  sits on a server somewhere and controls all the action, but the only question is how to go about re-creating it. 

ant2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 02:50:16 pm »
Thunderwing,

So when you create the server on the host, under netstat -rn should be a listen statement against the sega rally PID. You can get the pid from task manager.
That will show you what port sega rally is binding on. I presume it will be a tcp port.
Once we get that go to the remote pc and telnet to that port to see if iy opens.

Unless you know the port it's running on already,  then just check it's bound

I.e telnet 192.168.1.1 2000 , if it doesn't time out its connected.

As im typing this im wondering if i should just rdp/team viewer  to your box and i could just debug it pretty quick.

Send me a pm, i may get some time sunday, i believe you are based in the u.k too.
In the meantime try and find out the sega rally ports , then i can go over some troubleshooting.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 04:36:40 pm »
Thanks Ant, I'll give your advice a shot and see what I come up with (and yes, I'm a fellow Brit).