Main > Main Forum

All Killer, No Filler MAME Gamelists Directory

<< < (3/23) > >>

Frank Drebin:

--- Quote from: thomas_surles on April 22, 2016, 10:28:31 pm ---no who wants to take the time and do one for the nes, snes, and genesis?
I know it's hit or miss, but there are a lot of games that work great on a cab like battle toads.. and I'm drawing a blank... but others

--- End quote ---
To me most of the games on the classic consoles mentioned above play just fine on arcade controls.  From the Super Marios to the sports games the difference between a two, three or 6 button gamepad or arcade controls doesn't make the games unplayable.  I agree most were intended for the couch/controller but most guests that come over spend most of the time nostaliga-ing over the old cartridge titles, playing them for a few minutes then seeing what else they forgot about.

I would be interested in some of the newer consoles (N64/Dreamcast/GC/PS1) that graduated to the analog sticks - some of these titles play surprisingly well with arcade controls.  ie) Mario Kart 64/Double Dash!!, Mario Tennis, Super Strikers, etc.  A lot of the time there are two buttons that have very little use, maybe to change views for example, and the difference between analog and digital controls is negligible to 99% of the people who will play at the cabinet.

dmckean:

--- Quote from: thomas_surles on April 22, 2016, 10:28:31 pm ---no who wants to take the time and do one for the nes, snes, and genesis?
I know it's hit or miss, but there are a lot of games that work great on a cab like battle toads.. and I'm drawing a blank... but others

--- End quote ---

It would be a huge undertaking and would take at least as long as this list did to put together. With NES it would be rather easy. Between Playchoice 10 and Nintendo VS. you'll already have about 80-90% of the stuff that will work really well in a cabinet.

There's a ton of Genesis games that will work well in a cabinet, probably at least 90. Same thing with the Turbografx 16, there's probably 35 high quality shmups alone.

Once you get to the SNES, they added shoulder buttons and controls can get awkward in an arcade cabinet. They'll work, but you'll spend a lot of time with every game finding the best mappings.

thomas_surles:

--- Quote from: dmckean on April 23, 2016, 05:57:40 pm ---

--- End quote ---

It would be a huge undertaking and would take at least as long as this list did to put together. With NES it would be rather easy. Between Playchoice 10 and Nintendo VS. you'll already have about 80-90% of the stuff that will work really well in a cabinet.

There's a ton of Genesis games that will work well in a cabinet, probably at least 90. Same thing with the Turbografx 16, there's probably 35 high quality shmups alone.

Once you get to the SNES, they added shoulder buttons and controls can get awkward in an arcade cabinet. They'll work, but you'll spend a lot of time with every game finding the best mappings.

--- End quote ---
I wish I could find a better layout for the snes.
Y X L
B A R
that is my current layout. it works good for mortal kombat. but like  super Mario and dk country are akward. to run you have to hold t and jump with b.

yotsuya:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Although I'm not a fan of console games in my arcade cab based on my experience with it, I would concur with Dave that the NES games are fine, but the SNES and above just don't feel right. Damn shoulder buttons.

thomas_surles:

--- Quote from: yotsuya on April 23, 2016, 07:06:15 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Although I'm not a fan of console games in my arcade cab based on my experience with it, I would concur with Dave that the NES games are fine, but the SNES and above just don't feel right. Damn shoulder buttons.

--- End quote ---
maybe I should take the time to do a write up 4 or less button snes games with the perfect layout.
battle toads in battlemaniacs for example is great on a cab.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version