Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Can't seem to hide the seam. Any suggestions?  (Read 3469 times)

Soundwave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2017, 05:13:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Can't seem to hide the seam. Any suggestions?
« on: February 21, 2016, 12:24:57 pm »
I have 2 pieces of wood butted tightly together and I can't seem to remove the visibility of that line. I used bondo and primer but after I sand it down so that both pieces are flat and smooth, that line shows it's ugly head. I'm more worried that it will come through after I paint it. Not really sure what to do about it. If I rub my finger over it, I can still kinda feel it so not sure if this will be a problem when I go to paint or not? It's like I need something that's thinner that could penetrate into the seam better but Primer doesn't seem to be doing it.
The paint won't be anything fancy, I just plan to spray on some premium exterior water based paint but since my arcade cab will be white, I suspect it'll show.

dezmond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2017, 04:12:40 pm
  • Gonna Build Something.......
Re: Can't seem to hide the seam. Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 01:12:11 pm »
Cut a small vgroove in the seem and use bondo.  Make sure you don't just use your hand or fingers on the sandpaper.  Take a good flat block and sand smooth.  After that I would spray some primer on it and see how it looks. 

Worth a shot 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:38:38 am by dezmond »

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 02:30:15 pm »
Make sure you don't just use your hand or fingers on the sandpaper. 

This is so true.  Your hand will press into the paper causing it to sand a divot into filler material.

Soundwave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2017, 05:13:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 05:41:44 pm »
Cut a small vgroove in the seem and use bondo.  Make sure you don't just use your hand or fingers on the sandpaper.  Take a good flat block and sand smooth.  After that I would spray some primer on it and see how it looks. 

Worth a shot

Thanks, that's a really good idea. I use a belt sander, orbital sander and a manual block sander depending on what I'm doing. Maybe next time I should just leave a slight gap in between them and fill it.

dezmond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2017, 04:12:40 pm
  • Gonna Build Something.......
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 07:15:09 pm »
If you are using some sort of manual block sander, when you put some bondo on and sand it, you may see the seam but if you use s good primer/sealer and a couple good coats sprayed on you shouldn't see it anymore. When I laminate wood together and then sand it I always see a seam but after the primer is on and blocked its all good. 

Kier

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2019, 07:40:00 pm
  • !
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 09:34:56 pm »

Worth a shot

The same here. I always cut a small groove, allows for a little error and takes the jarring line out.

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 02:57:28 pm »
It's already been mentioned here, but use a block sander to prevent divot creation and then a good primer, two passes and it won't be seen anymore.

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 09:02:03 am »
If you can see it in the primer you can bet real money you will see it in the final paint coats. Remember to use a sanding block and you may need high build primer or even some more bondo/filler depending on the depth of the line.