Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What does this Photo/Error Mean on the MSG boards??  (Read 2837 times)

Demon-Seed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 09:51:02 am
    • DemonCade (WORKING URL!)
What does this Photo/Error Mean on the MSG boards??
« on: August 10, 2017, 03:43:18 pm »
Hey
I have recently returned to the boards and noticed many postings display do not display the photo's placed in the messages.  Can someone clarify how to fix this? I checked my account settings on BYOAC however I did not see anything for this option..

Life is like a video game, a good one never dies..

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: What does this Photo/Error Mean on the MSG boards??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 03:55:44 pm »
photobucket being ---meecrobs--- and not allowing embedding or 3rd party linking.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 04:23:20 pm »
It's not your error it is the person that made the posts error from photobucket site - so nothing can be done by you to fix it !

Photobucket decided they wanted everyone that was posting images to other websites from their "Free" photobucket account like they have been for the past 5+ years - to start paying $39.99 a month if they want to keep those photos viewable on all of those sites - Until you pay up and continue to pay every month all of your old links to photos on their site now show that pic instead. So you'll be seeing those all over the place as the only way to get rid of them is if every person that has used Photobucket either pays up and continues to pay every month or goes back and reuploads all those pics to another site and updates all of the links in every post made on any site that used a pic on. (not likely to happen since the main reason everyone used them was because it was free and many sites will not let you update 5 year old posts with new links) - So you'll see broken photo links all over the net now because Photobucket decided to try and make some $$.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:31:24 pm by JDFan »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 04:58:14 pm »
Can someone clarify how to fix this?

The person who made the post would have to upload their pics here:http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149895.640.html
and update the links.

A lot of great build pics have been lost because people forgot about the free account where they were being hosted and let it expire.

Crazy Cooter

• Senator Cooter was heard today telling the entire congressional body to STFU...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 08:58:02 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 05:56:47 pm »
It's not your error it is the person that made the posts error from photobucket site - so nothing can be done by you to fix it !
This.

Basically billions of images going back to 2003 are no longer available.  It has a made some of my car/truck forums worthless because of key members hosting pics there for tutorials on identifying parts, how to orientate parts, etc.  basically all the important pics are gone and some members have died so there's no way to get them.  There's a lot of information that just got flushed.

This should be a lesson to all forums (including here) that pics should be local only.

Demon-Seed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 09:51:02 am
    • DemonCade (WORKING URL!)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 06:26:36 pm »
thank you! So dumb....
Life is like a video game, a good one never dies..

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 07:46:08 pm »
consider using imgur.

after you upload a pic it actually has BB code you click to copy and paste right into your messages already formatted and everything.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 06:04:43 am »
I've used postimage.org for a few years now. Clean, simple, fast. Of course, there's no guarantee any of these 'free' hosts won't 'pull a photobucket' at some point.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 06:18:05 am »
consider using imgur.

after you upload a pic it actually has BB code you click to copy and paste right into your messages already formatted and everything.
Until they do exactly the same as Photobucket.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 10:25:33 am »
consider using imgur.

short of hosing it yourself, no guarantees anywhere.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 11:35:25 am »
consider using imgur.

short of hosting it yourself, no guarantees anywhere.

Which is why more Forums should do like Saint has here and have a photo repository for their site -- so members can post their pics directly to the site - So as long as the site remains the pics remain and you don't wind up with all the broken links while the thread is still live.

Only good thing to come out of this is that it makes some people aware of the inherent problem with relying on storing things in the cloud -- you never know when it will vanish even if you are paying someone else to store it -- so always better to keep at least one copy stored where you have physical access.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:41:17 am by JDFan »