Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What type of hinge will work for my setup?  (Read 2870 times)

bluelight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2016, 11:01:57 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What type of hinge will work for my setup?
« on: February 15, 2016, 01:59:51 am »
So I am trying to figure out the situation with the back door of my bartop I am making. I am using 1/2 inch MDF and will try to explain how it will look.

The back door is recessed into the cabinet by 1/2 inch. The cabinet meets up with the door flush on the top and bottom, so the only part that is recessed is the sides of the MDF.

Now, I know I could use a piano/continuous hinge on the bottom and just open it down but I really want to be able to open the door like a regular door, hinges on the left.. lock on the right.

I realize after buying some regular hinges that it is not possible to use those type at all because of the recess on the sides. So I am thinking I need some sort of hidden hinge like is used on kitchen cabinets etc.

The hinge would be on the inside of the cabinet and attach to the inside of the door. I realize I would at best only be able to open the door 90 degrees.. but its better than nothing I guess.

What type of hinge will work for this guys and gals? I know I want a cabinet hinge of some sort but there are a million of them and I have no clue the differences. In kitchen cabinets, normally the door is either flush with the cabinet or meets up with the outside of it.

In hind site I guess this is a design flaw of mine but its too late to fix that now so hopefully someone can give me an idea to make this work.. worse case I will end up having to open it top down but I won't be happy with that :/

bluelight

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2016, 11:01:57 am
Re: What type of hinge will work for my setup?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:10:35 pm »
After looking at this more.. I think my design is just flawed where I can't have the door open the way I want so I am going to be forced to just use a piano hinge on the bottom and opened from the top.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 01:47:11 am »
Got a pic of the back of your bartop?
If you can't find a hinge why not use a T-nut and screw and unscrew the back on/off.
(Normally don't need open the back unless you're doing some configuring)
Or may I suggest industrial Velcro with a circle/hole to pull off the back.

bdormer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2018, 01:21:55 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 01:53:58 pm »
I know it's been nearly 2 months since your post - but have you looked at all the hinges over at www.rockler.com ?  They pretty much have a hinge for any occasion.  The only catch is the euro hinges need you to drill a flat bottom 35mm hole - so you need to purchase a 35mm Forstner bit.