Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Stern Monopoly Pinball issue  (Read 4410 times)

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Stern Monopoly Pinball issue
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:32:05 am »
I have a monopoly pinball (canada) with CPU version 3.03. I'm having an issue with the water works outhole area. this rotating flipper had a change ( in CPU 3.01 to 3.02) that changed the behaviour of this flipper to only rotate counter clockwise. The problem is, I'm having balls get wedged in between the side wall and the tip of the flipper. (not the hole) the programming only allows rotation counter clockwise but it cannot because of the ball being wedged. logic dictates that if the home switch on the flipper isn't detected for X #of seconds it should reverse direction but this never happens. The switch seems to operate and it does seem to actuate when rotating. is there an issue I'm missing here or is this a permanent bug with the new programming?

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Stern Monopoly Pinball issue
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 03:05:20 pm »

I don't know this specific issue but Monopoly is known for having poor software.   :-\

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 01:52:45 pm »

I snapped a pic of the issue. I know there isn't much I can do about it since this is a fault in the software.

it's a bummer since if the ball gets stuck like this, the rubber ring they use to drive the flipper with gets eaten up in no time....and when it's out on location...they'll just leave the machine run.

not only do I have to unjam the ball...I also usually end up replacing the ring too since it'll be chewed all to hell. i've just started throwing a half dozen rings in the bottom of the machine just in case since i don't always have a ring that fits it in my kit.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 02:56:26 pm »
Can you remove a post and bend out that ball guide so that the ball doesn't get trapped as readily there?

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 07:33:39 pm »
the way that area is designed if i bend it out, you can't get the ball in there from the bottom anymore (just the top as the skill shot or randomly from the top) which wrecks part of the gameplay since you can't actually get waterworks from a flipper shot anymore... and if i bend it in towards the inlane, the ball just gets wedged a little further up.

it's almost like i need to build a microcontroller to watch the home switch on the bottom and if I have power to the motor and i haven't got a home switch click in X seconds, then trip the motor in reverse direction until I receive a home switch click. repeat ad nauseum.

...which is absolutely ridiculous since isn't that the whole point of the damn home switch to begin with.  :angry: someone messed with the code and broke it. when they changed the rotation to go only counter clockwise.

Changed waterworks driver to always run the motor in a counter-clockwise
  direction.  This should help games that can't lift the ball out of the
  hole when the flipper rotates clockwise.

MTPPC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 04:28:32 pm »
Take the rubber off that flipper and it will happen much less. And get a shiny new ball and wax it. What I found on the monopoly I recently shopped is that I needed to put the rubber so low it nearly dragged on the table to push the ball out of the saucer. I eneded up using two rubbers on that flipper... one above the other, not on top of the other if that makes sense.

http://pinballmd.com/another-nice-pinball-machine-ready-for-pickup/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:32:35 pm by MTPPC »
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/