Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Curved cuts on the side panels  (Read 3261 times)

cigardude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2017, 01:29:48 pm
Curved cuts on the side panels
« on: February 09, 2016, 01:19:52 pm »
I've built a full size cab about 15 years ago and it was full of straight lines. I've since had to get rid of it but now I am planning on making a new one. This one will has some nice curves in it similar to a Galaga or PacMan or DK cab. I am looking for some techniques that would help me cut the curves somewhat accurately. I have access to a router, circular saw and jig saws. I can probably get close to the outlines with a jig saw but actually getting a nice curve following the line is somewhat of a challenge. Amy advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:58:46 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Curved cuts on the side panels
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 05:32:00 pm »
Depending on the radius of the curve, you can make a jig like one of these.

You can also use a flexible router template like this or this to make a wood template that you can clamp to your cab-side and use a flush-cut router bit.

For small radius corners, you can make some templates like these.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:36:31 pm by PL1 »

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:01:06 pm »
PL1 has some good suggestions.  To expand I would say that the radius of the curve would influence my suggestion.  Probably the easiest thing to do, however, is cut out the curve in scrap wood with your jigsaw.  Then sand the curve to whatever final shape you want.  A flexible sanding strip is fantastic here by the way.  Finally rough cut the curve in the final product with the jigsaw again and attach the template to the final product, double stick tape or screws.  Then use a router flush trim bit to make the final product match the template exactly. 

Flexible sanding strip video:

These are pretty fantastic for sanding curves.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 11:29:48 pm »
    To take that even further....Jennifer would plot/cut the curve from existing cab /plans on vinyl , and use as a template for the jigs. No point in reinventing the wheel, right?

cigardude

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:25:33 am »
These are some pretty great ideas and techniques, I knew I came to the right place. Thanks for all of your help with this.

cigardude

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 12:18:43 pm »
I was watching some of the videos for the CMT Flexible Template and it looks like everyone is using a routing table. I was thinking of flipping the wood so my hand router is on the piece to be cut with the flexible template on the bottom. Is there any reason why that setup would not work?

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 03:40:58 pm »
You can do that but you want to make sure your work is securely held, if it slips while routing that could be very dangerous. 

cigardude

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 04:19:58 pm »
You can do that but you want to make sure your work is securely held, if it slips while routing that could be very dangerous.

Indeed a very good point.