Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival  (Read 17538 times)

shadowgangs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2021, 04:06:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Shadow Gangs
(Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival
« on: February 07, 2016, 08:44:22 pm »
Hello everyone;

I am excited to announce that the Shadow Gangs Kickstarter is now live here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1858040208/shadow-gangs-80s-ninja-arcade-action-revival

Please share the news! and thank you!

The kickstarter date is now set, it's the 25th of June 2016

I am happy to announce that the Shadow Gangs demo is now available in the downloads section here.

A new video has been uploaded here:

I've been told by one Mameworld member that you may be interested in a new game in the making.
I have been posting about it at Mameworld, but here is the latest news regarding it:

Product is near finished, a new great soundtrack is in the works, the musician sent me a new extract of it and it sounds fabulous. I'll put it for download as soon as I get it.

Here is some pictures of the game running the latest build and hope you like it.

This game is arcade lovers, this sums it up!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:51:52 pm by shadowgangs »

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
Re: Introducing "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 06:32:22 am »
Looks like a blatent Shinobi rip,  Which could be fun...

However, for the love of God... please take that horrible blinding flash bomb out of the street lamps!

Please see Real sources of actual lamps, to compare brightness and effect.. rather than copy other peoples ignorant flash-bomb bloom.

I look forward to trying it... but if theres flash bomb lighting effects in there... you will have to count me out.

See my recent gripe example post here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149436.0.html

---

Also, a few other suggestions graphically:

If a building bricks in its windows.. it usually does not do so in an alternating fashion like you show.   Maybe they might close off a lower level floor window set.. and keep the upper levels with glass.

Also the pillar deco that is next to the bricked windows,  should be further out from them... meaning.. there should be a shadow on the bricking,  that shows that the bricking is set deeper into the windowframe.  (similar to your blue door shadow)

The glass explosion is a bit over-kill.   Maybe 1/4th as many pieces needed.   And try to animate them just as you would a real piece of glass fracturing.  From the center outwards.   

Note about glass:  If its plate glass (older buildings).. those Ninjas are getting sent to the ER.   Plate glass tends to break into larger chuncks of razor sharp pieces.     If its Tempered glass, typical on new buildings... tempered glass explodes instantly into uniform sized pieces about a quarter of an inch squared.   You can see this by looking up pinball glass shattering videos.

Furthermore, there probably are slow-mo captures of glass breaking... to get nice animation captures and or ideas on how it really looks.

Crates do not quite look right.  No joinery realism.  But more so... the wood grain should not be the same for the diagonal brace... because its a completely different piece of wood,  and at a completely different angle.

The Hero's Tats... look more like veins.   It doesnt quite work.

You probably should adjust the baddies to be behind the hero.. and or make their blades separate, so that when they hit the player... it looks like it passes through them.

The baddie crouching on the crates...  should not be allowed to be half-on the crate like that.   One of his supporting feet are in mid air... and as a result... hes overlapping the baddie behind him.

The Neon could use a little tweaking.  More hot orange in the center of the red... and more diffused glow spreading to the background.
The yellow neon appears too fat.. and needs shading.    Unless its thin neon, outlining a thick backer board reflector.   In that case, you still need the outlines to show.  Also,  the lady is too large a piece to sit there without any structural supports.  One good wind gust,  and she would shatter to pieces.   Neon also tends to be one continious long tube of glass.  Certain parts are coiled up and or painted black to hide the connections.  Or the connections are hid behind a backer board (less often than the former)

All these are fairly minor, and can be overlooked ... except for the lamps.

---

Edit2:

I dont really care for the Hero at all.   He looks completely out of place in the "80s",  and in against Ninjas with swords.
IMO, Shinobi is a lot more on-par...   a Ninja against a bunch of other Ninjas.   Although,  I always felt Joe should have been in full garb, in all of his adventures.

Finally,  I dont think anyone would hold a star like that.   They would probably be on a belt clip,  and flung from the hip outwards horizontally in rapidfire succession.   And or held in the one hand in a stack,  and whipped out the same way.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:58:16 am by Xiaou2 »

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 08:40:33 am »
Looks like a blatent Shinobi rip,  Which could be fun...

However, for the love of God... please take that horrible blinding flash bomb out of the street lamps!

Please see Real sources of actual lamps, to compare brightness and effect.. rather than copy other peoples ignorant flash-bomb bloom.

I look forward to trying it... but if theres flash bomb lighting effects in there... you will have to count me out.

See my recent gripe example post here:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149436.0.html

---

Also, a few other suggestions graphically:

If a building bricks in its windows.. it usually does not do so in an alternating fashion like you show.   Maybe they might close off a lower level floor window set.. and keep the upper levels with glass.

Also the pillar deco that is next to the bricked windows,  should be further out from them... meaning.. there should be a shadow on the bricking,  that shows that the bricking is set deeper into the windowframe.  (similar to your blue door shadow)

The glass explosion is a bit over-kill.   Maybe 1/4th as many pieces needed.   And try to animate them just as you would a real piece of glass fracturing.  From the center outwards.   

Note about glass:  If its plate glass (older buildings).. those Ninjas are getting sent to the ER.   Plate glass tends to break into larger chuncks of razor sharp pieces.     If its Tempered glass, typical on new buildings... tempered glass explodes instantly into uniform sized pieces about a quarter of an inch squared.   You can see this by looking up pinball glass shattering videos.

Furthermore, there probably are slow-mo captures of glass breaking... to get nice animation captures and or ideas on how it really looks.

Crates do not quite look right.  No joinery realism.  But more so... the wood grain should not be the same for the diagonal brace... because its a completely different piece of wood,  and at a completely different angle.

The Hero's Tats... look more like veins.   It doesnt quite work.

You probably should adjust the baddies to be behind the hero.. and or make their blades separate, so that when they hit the player... it looks like it passes through them.

The baddie crouching on the crates...  should not be allowed to be half-on the crate like that.   One of his supporting feet are in mid air... and as a result... hes overlapping the baddie behind him.

The Neon could use a little tweaking.  More hot orange in the center of the red... and more diffused glow spreading to the background.
The yellow neon appears too fat.. and needs shading.    Unless its thin neon, outlining a thick backer board reflector.   In that case, you still need the outlines to show.  Also,  the lady is too large a piece to sit there without any structural supports.  One good wind gust,  and she would shatter to pieces.   Neon also tends to be one continious long tube of glass.  Certain parts are coiled up and or painted black to hide the connections.  Or the connections are hid behind a backer board (less often than the former)

All these are fairly minor, and can be overlooked ... except for the lamps.

---

Edit2:

I dont really care for the Hero at all.   He looks completely out of place in the "80s",  and in against Ninjas with swords.
IMO, Shinobi is a lot more on-par...   a Ninja against a bunch of other Ninjas.   Although,  I always felt Joe should have been in full garb, in all of his adventures.

Finally,  I dont think anyone would hold a star like that.   They would probably be on a belt clip,  and flung from the hip outwards horizontally in rapidfire succession.   And or held in the one hand in a stack,  and whipped out the same way.

Thanks for the long and detailed reply.
I am not the artist, but I'll make sure he is aware of it.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 10:16:40 am »
I appreciate the lady on the wall, ala Crime Fighters, but it seems a little out of place on a brick wall at least in Crime Fighters she was on a billboard.

I also agree with X2's comments about the hero being a bit out of place (he looks more likely to ride in the Tour de France than kick Ninja ass)

However, I do appreciate the effort that went into making a retro inspired game, thanks for sharing! cheers  :cheers:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:20:30 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 11:16:04 am »
Please dont quote X2 cause then his walls of text are no longer hidden from me. He is keeping up with his modus operandi and trying to apply real world physics and what not into an arcade game.

Hero just needs some tweaking, pants would go a long way. The idea of a white belt kicking all these ninaj's asses is also pretty funny.  The crate isnt terrible, I mocked one up but its just a proof of concept 5 second photoshop job to give you an idea of what a crate should look like. I like the concept, I *LOVE* the guy with 1 foot on a crate defying gravity off of it, makes me think of Bad Dudes, Rolling Thunder, etc.

I'd honestly have to see the glass in motion before I made a judgement one way or the other. Windows breaking into a bajillion pieces is a staple of the old arcade games. Gotta admit, I really dont like the Kim Kardashian reference ; I mean I get it but I dont like it.   Wall should be covered in graffiti in places people can reach , not a giant stripper motif. Im sur ethe games a blast and I look forward to trying it!

Crate:

plugged into the screenie:

If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 03:20:44 pm »
Please dont quote X2 cause then his walls of text are no longer hidden from me. He is keeping up with his modus operandi and trying to apply real world physics and what not into an arcade game.

Hero just needs some tweaking, pants would go a long way. The idea of a white belt kicking all these ninaj's asses is also pretty funny.  The crate isnt terrible, I mocked one up but its just a proof of concept 5 second photoshop job to give you an idea of what a crate should look like. I like the concept, I *LOVE* the guy with 1 foot on a crate defying gravity off of it, makes me think of Bad Dudes, Rolling Thunder, etc.

I'd honestly have to see the glass in motion before I made a judgement one way or the other. Windows breaking into a bajillion pieces is a staple of the old arcade games. Gotta admit, I really dont like the Kim Kardashian reference ; I mean I get it but I dont like it.   Wall should be covered in graffiti in places people can reach , not a giant stripper motif. Im sur ethe games a blast and I look forward to trying it!

Crate:

plugged into the screenie:

Thanks for your comments.
This game is not trying to replicate real life or real physics, it aims to be a great fun exciting game to play (with great music) that is the aim of Shadow Gangs.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 03:21:39 pm »
I think it's awesome. Good for you for working on something new. Idea men are a dime a dozen.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 09:06:52 pm »
Your game looks fun and I would like to try it.  Please update this thread when it is available for download.

I apologize on behalf of the rest of BYOAC for the behavior of the other posters.

:cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 09:18:56 pm »
+1

Just ignore him... everybody else does. 

I really like it, and please don't take this as an insult, because it kind of looks awkward.  It reminds me very much of the old Data East  games (Bad Dudes, ect.) because of the way the posing is kind of wrong and everything looks a little flat.  If you fire up Bad Dudes you'll see the very worst walk animation in the history of video games and it stands out and sticks in a person's memory for that very reason.  I always liked Data East's art style... it seemed like the video game equivalent of outsider art, so I would suggest you change nothing.  Well maybe the main character needs a bit of a re-design... he looks very Johnny Cage-ish, and nobody wants that ---meecrob--- to star in his own video game.  ;)

Anyway, keep up the good work.  Let us know when it's done... ect....

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 01:07:58 am »
I really like the fresh look of the game and the fun modern backgrounds.  :applaud:

Hope the gameplay is good too (as that is still the most important). Looks like you were inspired by 1987 game The Ninja Warriors? I would love to give it a spin. Make sure the inputs are either configurable or at least "MAME compatible" so you can easily run it on an arcade machine.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 06:49:14 am »
Looks awesome! Front page news posted :)

--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 07:42:03 am »
Your game looks fun and I would like to try it.  Please update this thread when it is available for download.

I apologize on behalf of the rest of BYOAC for the behavior of the other posters.

Thanks, no need to apologize.
I'll post here when I have important updates share. In the meantime, for regular updates you can check the game website: http://www.shadowgangs.com

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 07:48:26 am »
Hope the gameplay is good too (as that is still the most important). Looks like you were inspired by 1987 game The Ninja Warriors?
Gameplay is priority N1.

Ninja Warriors for the music, yes.
Great music is important and I'll make sure Shadow Gangs will have it from start to finish.

Quote from: EMDB
I would love to give it a spin. Make sure the inputs are either configurable or at least "MAME compatible" so you can easily run it on an arcade machine.
Input configuration is already in (altough I think it's keyboard only), but full support for controllers etc... will be handled in the full version.

I want to say that the demo will be coming soon and free, but the eventual full game will be a crowd funded project.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 07:49:38 am »
Thank you!
This game will need all the publicity it can get.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 11:30:25 am »
Thank you!
This game will need all the publicity it can get.
Yes... Yes it will.

This may be the "Deadly Premonition" of 2D beat-em-ups. Keep us updated!
NO MORE!!

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 05:03:20 pm »
I'm glad to see a beat em up that's not open bor. Its not right?
I also love the name. Its the kinda name where you already know what kind of game it is. my suggestion would be comedy. If it were me I would put a lot of humor in there and not make it too serious. But that's just me. Either way I will still play it. good luck.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 08:03:25 am »
I'm glad to see a beat em up that's not open bor. Its not right?
Didn't understand what you meant by open bor, so I googled it up.
No, the game is not using openbor or any other framework.

Quote from: thomas
I also love the name. Its the kinda name where you already know what kind of game it is. my suggestion would be comedy. If it were me I would put a lot of humor in there and not make it too serious. But that's just me. Either way I will still play it. good luck.
In the full game, there will be some humor for sure.
In the demo, look at the hostage face icon when he is freed :)

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 05:01:03 pm »

Come on, how many of us even go there? :lol

Demon-Seed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 09:51:02 am
    • DemonCade (WORKING URL!)
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 11:46:16 am »
Looks very cool, Cant wait to try it.. what about adding blood?
Life is like a video game, a good one never dies..

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 03:41:21 pm »
Looks very cool, Cant wait to try it.. what about adding blood?
Thank you, no blood for the demo (apart for the main player), but might be added for the full version if it will make the game look better.

Demon-Seed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2022, 09:51:02 am
    • DemonCade (WORKING URL!)
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 07:36:28 pm »
when will a demo be avail?
Life is like a video game, a good one never dies..

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2016, 07:04:15 am »
when will a demo be avail?
The demo and video will be available soon. Before the end of March.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 02:08:04 am »

Come on, how many of us even go there? :lol

I kept my bookmark to the main page for YEARS.  I finally gave up and changed it to the forums and about a month later he quietly starts posting on it again.  I'm pretty sure Saint somehow knew and did it just to mess with me.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 05:42:08 pm »
Hi Everyone;

I would like to share with you some good news, this month's last weekend I will meet the game background artist Toni Galvez, and we'll be making videos of the game.
So an actual game video will be available before the end of this month.

Another great news, I received Shadow Gangs's second and final music track for the demo.

Please find it here, it manages to be even better than the first track, I kept listening to it the whole day and still do now.

It is an exciting prospect to imagine the whole game having music of this quality from start to finish, which was my objective but I feel lucky to work with such a talented artist.

For you guys that wanted a ninja instead of Dan, Dan will transform to a ninja (you'll still play Dan for those that like him the way he is now, but he will transform to a ninja mid level (so he can use the sword and other ninja powers)).

Here an image showing Dan in ninja suit, as well as the first mission boss:

More detail on the news section of game website.

Hope you like it!

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2016, 07:29:13 pm »
Hi Everyone;

Just a quick update, I received the final version of both Shadow Gangs music tracks.
Find them here:
Burning Fist
Shadow Gangs Theme

The video is of course coming this weekend!

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2016, 07:40:31 pm »
Post link to demo or get out.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2016, 09:54:34 am »
Post link to demo or get out.

Shut up and get out.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
Re: (Video) "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2016, 08:18:44 pm »
Hi everyone,
Shadow Gangs video is now available here:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2016, 09:49:50 pm »
He needs to do something when you aren't moving.

There should be a better way to attack the guys laying down.

Where is link to demo?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 04:00:35 am »
It's clear that this is a shinobi clone, so maybe it could be out of your scopes to add new features, but it would be nice if those guys you unchain become active against enemies or give you some upgrades (like in metal slug).
Anyway, I like it as it is too ;)

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 05:48:42 am »
He needs to do something when you aren't moving.

There should be a better way to attack the guys laying down.

Where is link to demo?

The full game should have some movement when idle.

For the guys lying down, attacking them by jumping on top is a gameplay elements and is on purpose.

The demo is coming soon, I just need to package the files.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 05:50:37 am »
It's clear that this is a shinobi clone, so maybe it could be out of your scopes to add new features, but it would be nice if those guys you unchain become active against enemies or give you some upgrades (like in metal slug).
Anyway, I like it as it is too ;)
The eventual final game will be much more diversified, with more enemies and level than Shinobi (and better music).
There is still room for some new gameplay elements, I am thinking to add one from Dragon Ninja.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2016, 07:06:49 am »
A two player mode would be awesome ;)

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2016, 12:18:03 pm »
A two player mode would be awesome ;)
Dragon Ninja had a 2 players mode.
I will do the 2 players mode as a stretch goal. (I can see that it will nice to have it, with more enemies on screen for this particular mode).

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2016, 02:41:37 pm »
Hi everyone,
Shadow Gangs video is now available here:

It seems a bit (too) polished. How does it look on a lowrez CRT or LCD with scanlines?

Make sure it is fully controllable with just the arcade (MAME) set of buttons (coin 1, 1 player, directions and button1 - button6)

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2016, 05:30:26 pm »
It seems a bit (too) polished. How does it look on a lowrez CRT or LCD with scanlines?
I am not sure how it would look, but the game will run on any supported resolution the graphics card have. (mine supports 320*240 up to 1080p)
The game native resolution is 1280*896.

It still looks good on my LCD screen at 640*480, and I think it would look better on a CRT at that resolution.
What is the CRT possible resolution?

Make sure it is fully controllable with just the arcade (MAME) set of buttons (coin 1, 1 player, directions and button1 - button6)
Just like arcade games :), I guess it's nice to have this kind of input.
I'll do it for you and this forum if we get to do the full game. (and dip switches button too, for the options menu? :)).

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 03:23:05 pm »
hi shadowgangs i enjoyed watching the demo video (i watched it in 720p 60fps so that the video animation ran smoothly)

did you know in the original game shinobi it had a nice bonus feature:  if you can finish a round without throwing any ninja stars/projectiles (so, you can only use punches, kicks, sword) you got a big bonus at the end of that round
maybe that could be something fun to add (eg. award an extra life if somebody can achieve that) .. unless the rounds in your game seem like this would be impossible (eg. too many bad guys etc)

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 03:53:27 pm »
did you know in the original game shinobi it had a nice bonus feature:  if you can finish a round without throwing any ninja stars/projectiles (so, you can only use punches, kicks, sword) you got a big bonus at the end of that round
maybe that could be something fun to add (eg. award an extra life if somebody can achieve that) .. unless the rounds in your game seem like this would be impossible (eg. too many bad guys etc)
The eventual full will not be released without at least one type of bonus stages. (between missions).
I am trying to think of a bonus stage that will be better than the original Shinobi, the problem is that this is a very difficult thing to come up with because in my opinion Shinobi had the best bonus stage ever made.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 08:04:52 pm »
Demo video looked pretty good.

- The kick options are nice.
 - The low kick however.. does not look realistic at all.  Needs work.
 - Punching through boxes, without them being 'opened' .. seems ridiculous.

If he does possess Ninja training / skills...  then he should be able to pick up other weapons, such as:

- bow?
 - grenades - (Houroku-hiya)
 - grappling hook - (kaginawa)   - for climbing, swinging, reaching high places
 - sword (constant use until killed)
 - Nunchaku?  Tonfa? Staff?

Enemy ninjas could use other weapons...such as:

- blowgun
 - sickle, chain, and a weight  (Kusarigama)
 - fire arrows - Ohkuni-hiya
 - exploding smoke bombs - (Torinoko)

http://www.ninjaencyclopedia.com/weapon/

A ninja clothed hero variant, is still desired.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 08:31:16 pm »
The eventual full will not be released without at least one type of bonus stages. (between missions).
I am trying to think of a bonus stage that will be better than the original Shinobi, the problem is that this is a very difficult thing to come up with because in my opinion Shinobi had the best bonus stage ever made.

Bonus Stage Idea:

You could make a sort of mechanical shooting gallery, as a skill challenge.
 Pop up Ninjas,  as well as moving chain driven target ninjas, that run from bush to bush... or scale walls vertically.

You could also have a level where you use a bow and arrow... trying to get bulls-eyes,  as well as the use of moving targets.

Climbing Challenge - Use clawed hands to scale a vertical wall..  while avoiding rocks and enemy attacks.

Jump Challenge - Jump from pole to pole accurately.. without falling into a pit of spikes below. (possibly while under attack)

Sword / Weapons challenges -  Such as objects (apples?) being hurled at you from multiple vectors.. and you have to swat them down.

Combat Timing challenge - Like weapon challenge, but only use of hands, feet, jumping, ducking..etc.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2016, 09:13:37 pm »
Heres a snap of the original shinobi low kick.

The post leg is bent 90 degrees at the knee, behind him.   

In your version, his post leg is fully extended on the ground... and does not allow the attacker to enter without stepping on his leg.

In Shinobi, the move is also performed from a crouch.. allowing quicker time to return to your feet.

If you were to do a fully laying down kick.. you should at least pull back the guys post leg at the knee.

The foot should be horizontal as well, like a blade.

Some of the other kicks also have issue as well..  not performed anywhere near correct.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2016, 08:43:44 am »
Demo video looked pretty good.
Thank you.

Quote from: Xiaou2
- The kick options are nice.
Still more gameplay elements will be added for the full game.

- The low kick however.. does not look realistic at all.  Needs work.
The game is not trying to be realistic, but we'll talk about it more in reply to your more detailled post.

- Punching through boxes, without them being 'opened' .. seems ridiculous.
Shinobi also had it, enemies too can slash the hero with sword and knifes through boxes and other one tile blocking elements.
I think it's fun to let it this way.

If he does possess Ninja training / skills...  then he should be able to pick up other weapons, such as:

- bow?
 - grenades - (Houroku-hiya)
 - grappling hook - (kaginawa)   - for climbing, swinging, reaching high places
 - sword (constant use until killed)
I would like to add new weapons, but I dread the gameplay takes a hit from this.
I want 100% pure action, like an arcade game. Adding weapons will add rpg elements to the game, and make people have of choice of weapon and then we have one weapon better to use than another one and this will kill the game balance.
This will need proper thinking and judgement, I really want the player experience to be the same at every run of the game.

The hero will transform to a ninja and get the sword which will dispatch enemies faster, as well as deadlier types of shurikens.

Enemy ninjas could use other weapons...such as:

- blowgun
 - sickle, chain, and a weight  (Kusarigama)
 - fire arrows - Ohkuni-hiya
 - exploding smoke bombs - (Torinoko)

http://www.ninjaencyclopedia.com/weapon/
I agree with you on this, and it is very desirable for the other ninja enemy types that will make it in the full game.
I noted this.

A ninja clothed hero variant, is still desired.
This is something that will 100% happen.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2016, 08:50:30 am »
Heres a snap of the original shinobi low kick.

The post leg is bent 90 degrees at the knee, behind him.   

In your version, his post leg is fully extended on the ground... and does not allow the attacker to enter without stepping on his leg.
If the attacker overlap with the extended leg, he will not step on it, he will get a hit and bump back or die.

In Shinobi, the move is also performed from a crouch.. allowing quicker time to return to your feet.
Here too, this attack is from crouch, and you get to crouch position in not time after the attack.

If you were to do a fully laying down kick.. you should at least pull back the guys post leg at the knee.

The foot should be horizontal as well, like a blade.
The kick will not be full laying down, as it need to reach enemies up to one tile high from ground (which corresponds to about half the enemies height).

Some of the other kicks also have issue as well..  not performed anywhere near correct.
But Shadow Gangs is not aiming to be realistic.

I would like to propose to you one thing, what are the areas you can contribute if you wanted for this game (programming or arts)? and are you interested in joining the team behind this game?

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2016, 09:36:15 am »
I call dibs on a free download code when the full game is released.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2016, 05:43:11 pm »
I thought I'll give a new Shadow Gangs update.

The game is being updated every day, the new backgrounds are under way and they will look nothing like the originals. They will be very detailed and will have an extra parallax layer that will add a lot of atmosphere to the game.

is now my inspiration in relation to the backgrounds  variations  and amount of static object, so expect a completely different and better looking backgrounds.

Other fixes are related to engine fixes, 3 checkpoints instead of 1, new knifeman with a new flying attack type, better AI, fixed camera, some prone guys will now stand up when Dan is near (not all will stand up!) and many fixes and new features have gone in.

I leave you with Dan in ninja form, hope you like it:

and the end boss of one of the games mission (yes, Freddy!):

Development is still going on, stay tuned!

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2016, 06:59:53 pm »
Hi Everyone;

Finally I am proud to present the new Shadow Gangs, with new backgrounds (pictures bellow), and many more fixes and enhancements that pictures can't convey.

I am also excited to announce that the Shadow Gangs demo, and the new and final pre Kickstarter video will be both available at the same time at the end of next week, Saturday or Sunday, most probably Sunday 22nd of May.

Aside from preparing the demo, I will now prepare for the kickstarter campaign. To this end, I am going to dress up in big detail what

Shadow Gangs is about, what enemies are there, what levels, what new weapons can Dan and his ninja form use, how they can use it, and what

the ninja form add to Dan capability wise.

Rendez-vous at the end of next week, the demo will be available then for download (pc version), and a new video and final video will be uploaded, and I will also announce the kickstarter date!

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
Re: (Demo) "Shadow Gangs", 80's arcade inspired ninja game
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2016, 06:33:31 am »
I am happy to announce that the Shadow Gangs demo is now available in the downloads section here.

It's the PC version, it should run fine on a 1ghz PC with Intel graphics, but let me know if you have any issues running it.
You may need to install Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable here if the Demo won't start, I didn't need to but just in case.

A new video has been uploaded here:

A new music track is also available, here or in the downloads section. It's included in the demo and can be heard if you finish the demo.

The kickstarter date is now set, it's the 25th of June 2016. If you liked the demo and want this game to materialise, please contribute to the crowdfunding.

These kind of games like Shadow Gangs won't be brought back by big game companies, or the likes of Sega, Capcom etc...., they all seem to have moved to 3D and other new fancy gameplay styles etc..., so don't wait for them to release something like Shadow Gangs.

Also feedback on the game all over the internet, here and friends has been very important, and this new demo is showing that. Apart from the new backgrounds, many enhancements and fixes have gone in.

I really hope you enjoy it!

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2016, 05:48:32 pm »
Just to say that I received enough feedback about the difficulty being too hard even in easy mode, so I added 3 more checkpoints on all difficulty modes, and lessened the number of dangerous situations in easy mode.

It should be an easy ride now.
(In easy, other modes are still challenging).

New demo version available at the same place here.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2016, 10:20:08 am »
I think this looks incredible. I get the retro feel when I look at it. I get the Bad Dudes feel (as mentioned above) and I see the Shinobi.
All of which are AWESOME!

I love the look, I like the new take on retro gold. The music, the colors, the artwork, I think this looks A++++.

Awesome job !

I agree to play this on my arcade cabinet would be awesome.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2016, 12:28:50 pm »
I think this looks incredible. I get the retro feel when I look at it. I get the Bad Dudes feel (as mentioned above) and I see the Shinobi.
All of which are AWESOME!

I love the look, I like the new take on retro gold. The music, the colors, the artwork, I think this looks A++++.

Awesome job !

I agree to play this on my arcade cabinet would be awesome.
Thank you.
About Bad Dudes, there will be more influence from it going forward, especially some enemy behaviour (like the ninja that throws stars on the ground, and you have to kick the stars out (or jump past them to progress). And some more things especially the scenery, like Bad Dudes level 2 (but this time in China, on top of a train in the Gobi desert), more details soon as I am preparing the Kickstarter.

I will definitly make a version of Shadow Gangs tailored for the arcade cabinet needs. I think I remember there is need to have similar insert coin, push start button (5 and 1) like in Mame, this control type will be provided for easy integration for people that would like it on an arcade cabinet.

And of course, an arcade cabinet is really the best place for Shadow Gangs to reside :)

I will make a good scoring system, with highscores and competitive score beating, some secrets and some easter eggs thrown in here and there.

Another thing I wanted to say, is about Dan in Ninja form. I decided to give him an assault rifle as weapon (instead of magic shuriken or fire shuriken or any kind of super shuriken).

And also about platform versions, there will be Kickstarter goals for Dreamcast, PS4,  PS vita, Xbox one.

And the last goal will be the 6th mission, a bonus mission with no relation with the Shadow Gangs "story", this mission will be in ancient Greece, over 4 levels, with Zeus as final boss.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2016, 01:14:59 pm »
If you will go the arcade cabinet way, use a non interlaced resolution or it will look not "right" on standard resolution monitors ;)

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2016, 02:23:12 pm »
If you will go the arcade cabinet way, use a non interlaced resolution or it will look not "right" on standard resolution monitors ;)
The game will support all the resolutions that the graphic card provide. (the demo actually has it).
For example, on my laptop I get from 320*240 up to 1920*1080.
It looks ugly in 320, but start to look good at 640, with really good at 800*600.
Is this a good resolution for an arcade cabinet? is it non interlaced? (or does non interlaced display need some kind of specific programming?)

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2016, 04:15:31 pm »
320x240 is not a resolution a lcd can handle, at least at a refresh rate of 60Hz.
In an arcade cabinet you have CRT's, not lcd's, and you must force the videocard output to low res with programs like soft15khz or calamity's CRT emudrivers. Both developers are here around, so it would not be difficult to obtain valuable info from them on this regard.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2016, 05:36:26 pm »
320x240 is not a resolution a lcd can handle, at least at a refresh rate of 60Hz.
In an arcade cabinet you have CRT's, not lcd's, and you must force the videocard output to low res with programs like soft15khz or calamity's CRT emudrivers. Both developers are here around, so it would not be difficult to obtain valuable info from them on this regard.
Ok, thank you. I'll make sure to ask for help here when I get to the the implementation phase of this feature.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2016, 08:04:29 pm »
Hi everyone;

I uploaded a new video of me playing in hard mode with melee only (mostly, one miss near the end), and no deaths.

The game also had a speed increase for Dan (and some enemies to keep the balance), as well as sharper melee attacks.
I think it plays much better than before.
Many other fixes has gone in.

In relation to the kickstarter, Dan in ninja form will have an assault rifle as projectile weapon, I think it's much better this way than having some kind of fire shuriken or super shuriken or the like which was my original intention.

Here is the video that I wanted to do before the kickstarter to show the game potential more:

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2016, 08:40:31 am »
tell me theres an unlockable Pink Gi for Dan.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2016, 07:31:01 am »
tell me theres an unlockable Pink Gi for Dan.

I would like to, but I don't think it will happen.
The reason is the sprite are hand drawn, changing palette colours is fine, but drawing new clothes is a heavy operation :(

Still having him in pink style suit both in ninja and fighter form is fine, not sure if this will do?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2016, 08:03:03 am »
Still having him in pink style suit both in ninja and fighter form is fine, not sure if this will do?
Dan is my fave guy from Street Fighter /Puzzle Fighter, and he wears pink so I thought it was funny :)

This is just a QUICK mock up, since I dont have source files:

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2016, 12:50:49 pm »
Dan is my fave guy from Street Fighter /Puzzle Fighter, and he wears pink so I thought it was funny :)

This is just a QUICK mock up, since I dont have source files:

Ok, we'll add it. And in fighter form too, pink suit :)

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
Re: (Kickstarter) Shadow Gangs: 80's ninja arcade action revival
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2016, 03:52:17 pm »
Hi everyone;

I am excited to announce that the Shadow Gangs Kickstarter is now live here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1858040208/shadow-gangs-80s-ninja-arcade-action-revival

Please share the news! and thank you!

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2016, 07:39:35 am »
Hi Everyone;

The Shadow Gangs kickstarter is in it's final hours, and I would like to let anyone who is interested but hesitated for some reasons about
the enhancements and changes that the full version will have:

-If the graphic style is an issue, there will be filters available to add scanlines or any other full screen shader effects that are
available already for emulators like Mame, Winuae etc...

-Also concerning the graphics, all the characters will be drawn by the same artist who did Dan and the ninajs, this will ensure coherent
art and of higher quality.

-The animations frames will be double or tripled in some animation types (dying animation and others).

-A lot of special effects will be added, some using shaders or with added shaders. Blood, bullet trails, better bullet effects, hit effets,
smoke etc...these will make the screen busier.

-If you didn't like the game because of lack of diversity, there will be a lot more interactions, Dan will have an inventory to store
sepcial weapons and sepcial attacks (magic), there will be elements of search, recovering money, freeying all types of hostages, some
elements of adventure/exploration too like using the ninja double jump to get to secret areas.

-The ninja form will allow Dan to take one hit without dying (but will cause him to revert to his fighter form). Also the ninja form will be available at about 10 to 15% of the level start.
 This will put the difficult a lot down.

-And many many more enhancements and fixes. A full list is in the Kickstarter page.

I would like also to ask you to actually play the current demo, to get a real feel of the game and see it actually on your screen not just on videos.

Bellow is the new Dan as ninja which is being done now by the sprite artist, and the first frames of the attack drone.

Also, if the game succeeds the Kickstarter, all backers without exceptions will get regular milestone builds.

Many thanks!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2016, 03:05:40 pm »
Looks like this got cancelled:

Says they're coming back with even more features, but I have a feeling that won't make either.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2016, 05:09:20 pm »
I got $5 in hand when this is finished.

:dunno

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2016, 06:00:04 pm »
I got $5 in hand when this is finished.

:dunno
See, I think if the dude sold it directly to the public instead of Kickstarting it, he could make SOMETHING from it.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2016, 03:40:01 pm »
Free public release. Charge for part 2.

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2016, 08:56:26 pm »
update:

http://www.shadowgangs.com/

"The new Shadow Gangs will be what Street Fighter 2 was to Street Fighter 1. A complete new different game, with explorations, items, hidden places, many effects etc... (but, Shadow Gangs will always retain the core fundamentals of it's gameplay).

Stay tuned!"

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2016, 10:23:58 am »
update:

http://www.shadowgangs.com/

"The new Shadow Gangs will be what Street Fighter 2 was to Street Fighter 1. A complete new different game, with explorations, items, hidden places, many effects etc... (but, Shadow Gangs will always retain the core fundamentals of it's gameplay).

Stay tuned!"

Bummer. I like side scrolling fighters so much better. Hd graphics isnt really 80's and throws it off, but if it can do 240p that would have been neat.

shadowgangs

• Offline Offline
    • Shadow Gangs
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2017, 05:50:32 pm »
I wanted to share a WIP of Shadow Gangs, showing here boss Freddy.

Still not polished, very buggy, no proper sounds or effects, and many sprites of Dan here will be changed (walk animation and anything which doesn't look good).
Also Video quality is not great, I made it with an underpowered laptop.

But I wanted to share with you this to show this game is progressing.

Hope you like it!.

! No longer available

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2017, 06:56:19 pm »
You leave Freddy Mercury alone!