Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: marquees and snaps not showing  (Read 3529 times)

sshaw10

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2021, 12:51:40 am
  • Oops!
marquees and snaps not showing
« on: February 07, 2016, 02:33:06 am »
building a custom layout and the editor and features have been simple to setup.  Everything is good but no matter what I set the marquees and snaps won't show.  I've trolled every post, everything is turned on in mala, triple checked point to correct folder.  debug log shows that it can't find the marquee file but the path it shows it can't find it is exactly where it is, png format and exact rom name.  I downloaded several other layouts from mala site and same thing.  I know it sounds like a beginner question from someone who hasn't spent the time but the debug log saying it can't find the image at the exact path where it is has me stumped.  I tried creating a different folder with same result.

If there's any thoughts I'd be grateful.  So damn close.

Thanks.

may be software problems, tried setting up a default graphic, got an access violation, now snap/title shows a small box in the top left with r g b bars and black and white back.  Tried starting a whole new layout with only a background jpg and marquee, nothing else, same thing.  maybe something is corrupt.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 03:30:47 am by sshaw10 »

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Re: marquees and snaps not showing
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 06:20:16 am »
Does the path to your snaps and marquees have a space in it? Won't work if it does. Possibly other non-standard characters in the path could cause this. Change the path to something simple like C:\mala\images\snaps and it should work.

sshaw10

• Offline Offline
  • Oops!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:52:23 pm »
thanks Big, no spaces and very simple, log says Error: LoadPicture: Error loading C:\mame\marquees\dkong.png and I have that file in c:\mame\marquees.  I've tried taking the standard layout and removed everything except the game list and marquee with no luck, same result.  If there's anything else in the log that would help let me know, I'm mystified.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:26:41 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 04:02:59 pm »
Have you looked into color depth (i.e. 24-bit color vs. 32-bit color) or RGB vs. indexed?

Check out this thread and this post.    :dunno

Scott
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 04:09:32 pm by PL1 »

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 05:16:30 pm »
Yeah, it's got to be a problem with the format of your pings. I just remembered I had a problem a while back trying to get a start game window image to display, that was a png. Just saved the image as a jpeg and it worked fine.

sshaw10

• Offline Offline
  • Oops!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 01:28:49 am »
Brilliant gentlemen, saved PS file to indexed and came right up.  Still png format, just set mode in PS to indexed.  Wow, would never have figured that out, thanks so much.
Snaps are still not showing but I know that's a codec issue I can figure out.

Will post a complete write up of my project Westworld shortly.  Rotating CP with custom ground up cabinet and marquee monitor.  Looking forward to giving back to this board.  Thanks again very much!