Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Afterburner Climax Emulator!!! (Oh it also emulates the PS3)  (Read 11134 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Afterburner Climax Emulator!!! (Oh it also emulates the PS3)
« on: February 03, 2016, 02:01:11 am »
Due to all the Sega fanatics on this forum it strangely seemed to make more sense to post it here.

http://kotaku.com/heres-a-ps3-game-emulated-and-running-on-a-pc-1756697682

I don't care if ABC is a low end game or how insanely powerful the pc is, that's a damn impressive framerate.  Also note how it drops really low, like 20fps according to the title bar and yet the game is still smooth and playable.  Frame skipping that actually allows you to play the game!  Imagine that!

Boomslang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Afterburner Climax Emulator!!! (Oh it also emulates the PS3)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 04:11:41 am »
very cool

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 10:29:04 am »
I definitely wouldn't mind having that on my cab.

....c'mon Outrun Online Arcade!

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 03:42:05 pm »
I'm kind of surprised to see a site like Kotaku do a feature on emulation, I thought they were only interested in mainstream stuff like the new CODs and FIFAs.

That being said, I'm amazed how quickly RPCS3 is developing, I only fairly recently saw a video of AB Climax running on it that looked pretty broken and I thought that was good progress. The fact it's running so faultlessly now is incredible.

Edit: Following a link in one of the comments of the actual YouTube vid leads to an interesting (if you're into that sort thing anyway) explanation from JayFoxRox about how come his Lindebergh Emulator has never been publicly released:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/3ijjcw/xqemu_xbox_emulator_crusty_demons_ingame/cuirlje
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 05:07:01 pm by MrThunderwing »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:14:16 am »
Yeah I was more or less aware of the Lindberg situation.  The Linux thing is a deal breaker regardless.  Would I be willing to have a Linux partition just to play Outrun and Afterburner?  Sure.  Would most people?  Probably not.   

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 04:42:39 pm »
Cool. But I'll *REALLY* blow my top the day I see RR7 running on PC  :dizzy:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 06:17:17 pm »
I think RR2 running fully upscaled and anti-aliased on PPSSPP looks almost as good as the actual PS3 version of RR7 as it is.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:01:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:33:46 am »
Kotaku has some pretty weird lines in the sand when it comes to hacks and emulation.  I'm not sure what their secret deals are with the advertisers, but there's clearly something at play.  No other explanation for why we got all those "flawed masterpiece" articles about Destiny long after the rest of the world had moved on.  (they've even run articles saying they aren't being paid to run articles about Destiny :lol)

Nice to see some solid work on PS3 emulation.  There's a lot of fun stuff on that system but it was never fully hacked into a seamless interface that would be suitable for a cabinet.

rvs0002

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2017, 03:13:50 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 12:07:48 pm »
If the way my life usually goes is any indication of the future, PS3 emulation will probably take a massive leap after this weekend, as that is when I'm hardwiring my PS3 into my driving cab, thereby making all my work (and extra parts) unnecessary.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 02:57:30 am »
I think RR2 running fully upscaled and anti-aliased on PPSSPP looks almost as good as the actual PS3 version of RR7 as it is.

Wow I thought I was the only one that thought this! You're 100% correct, RR2 PSP upscaled looks PHENOMENAL and even better than RR7. It's not just from a technical standpoint either...,  the art design of those re-mastered tracks is second to none. Still, I'd love to play 7 with proper FFB support(the *ONLY* PS3 game at the time that supported a wheel btw).

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 03:19:23 am »
Kotaku has some pretty weird lines in the sand when it comes to hacks and emulation.  I'm not sure what their secret deals are with the advertisers, but there's clearly something at play.  No other explanation for why we got all those "flawed masterpiece" articles about Destiny long after the rest of the world had moved on.  (they've even run articles saying they aren't being paid to run articles about Destiny :lol)

Nice to see some solid work on PS3 emulation.  There's a lot of fun stuff on that system but it was never fully hacked into a seamless interface that would be suitable for a cabinet.

Kotaku doesn't have any lines in the sand unless you count the lines of pee from where they wrote their name in it.  Most of the staff consists of spoiled children/man childs that just write whatever the hell they want and sell their opinions to the highest bidder.  You know, a typical game "journalism" site.  ;) 

If I thought I could figure out how to do it I'd make my own video game related media hub, but I'd go out of business soon since 90% of the games out there are mediocre at best and I have no reservations about telling people. 

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 06:26:53 am »
Wow I thought I was the only one that thought this! You're 100% correct, RR2 PSP upscaled looks PHENOMENAL and even better than RR7. It's not just from a technical standpoint either...,  the art design of those re-mastered tracks is second to none. Still, I'd love to play 7 with proper FFB support(the *ONLY* PS3 game at the time that supported a wheel btw).

I absolutely love the re-mastered Ridge Racer Type 4 tracks. RRT4 was one of my favourite ever PS1 era racing games and getting to experience those tracks again with such gorgeous visuals was a real treat (and getting to hear it's amazingly sublime soundtrack again too). FWIW, I actually made a small video comparison some time back of the Rave City (great name) track from Ridge Racer's 7 and 2 running on PS3 and PPSSPP to see just how similar they looked - it's pretty damn close.

jackiabu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 02:55:25 pm
    • http://jackiabu.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 10:09:22 am »
This is the game missing in my cab  :cheers:  great news :applaud:

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 05:30:32 pm »
I'm hoping the Progress in RPCS3 will soon be duplicated in some sort of PS VIta emulator - I mean it's less powerful than a PS3, right? So presumably should take less CPU horsepower...? Then I can finally get to play some big screen Wipeout 2048. The stupid thing is, if only Sony had added Wipeout 2048 to the list of compatible PS Vita TV games I would've happily throw my cash-monies at them and bought one, but nope, they were going to be ---Deutsche Frankfurters--- about it, so no money from me to you Sony...

(I'm quite interested to try that Daytona USA hornet DLC for Ridge Racer Vita also, even though I've not heard brilliant things about the game itself)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 06:41:54 pm »
Emulation progress doesn't make sense like that unfortunately.  The original xbox ran on a modified windows 2000 kernel using a standardish GeForce video chip so you'd think that would have been emulated right away.  Nope, virtually no progress in 15 years.  Meanwhile the Gamecube and Wii which developers agreed was "odd" both got emulated right away. 

I think the ps3 was emulated quickly due to the rabid fanbase and the fact that it's os is supposedly *nix based. 

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:32:01 pm
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 11:27:31 pm »
Emulation progress doesn't make sense like that unfortunately.  The original xbox ran on a modified windows 2000 kernel using a standardish GeForce video chip so you'd think that would have been emulated right away.  Nope, virtually no progress in 15 years.  Meanwhile the Gamecube and Wii which developers agreed was "odd" both got emulated right away. 

I think the ps3 was emulated quickly due to the rabid fanbase and the fact that it's os is supposedly *nix based.

Was there even a standalone GameCube emulator?   I've been following Dolphin for years - and its basically a Nintendo Wii emulator - that the original system had Gamecube support from day 1.  So it was kind of a "2 for 1" deal when it came to emulating the Wii.  Do it right and you'll get Gamecube at the same time.  (i'm not sure the Wii was really any different from the Gamecube anyway, besides all the motion control stuff)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 02:13:32 am »
Dolphin was a gamecube emulator long before that... it's just that it came out (in a public, useable state) towards the end of the NGC's run and naturally transitioned to the wii, which was a gamecube on steroids. 

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 03:01:09 am »
Watching footage of the game..  I have to say that it has no soul compared to the Original.

The music is not even half as profound,  and the voice and sound effects are annoying as heck,  as well
as down out the poor backing music.

There is also not much improvement in the mechanics.   No lessons learned.. such as moving/angling  the camera at angles that
allow the player to see whats in front of them.

It also seems that there is less use of speed control needed,  for success.  In the original,  use of quick shifting of speeds, and the afterburner,  were critical to good survival.

Id guess that the original devs were not involved.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 09:27:12 am »
Watching footage of the game..  I have to say that it has no soul compared to the Original.

The music is not even half as profound,  and the voice and sound effects are annoying as heck,  as well
as down out the poor backing music.

There is also not much improvement in the mechanics.   No lessons learned.. such as moving/angling  the camera at angles that
allow the player to see whats in front of them.

It also seems that there is less use of speed control needed,  for success.  In the original,  use of quick shifting of speeds, and the afterburner,  were critical to good survival.

Id guess that the original devs were not involved.

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis? Afterburner Climax is chuffin' awesome. It does exactly what I want from a modern day (and I realise when I say modern day I'm actually talking about a Lindebergh game that is now already 10 years old) sequel to a beloved game from my childhood - gives it a fresh coat of very nice looking current gen graphics and keeps the gameplay intact with some minor changes (such as the Climax mode). The use of the Afterburner itself and changing speed is still just as essential. I guess the new BGMs are down to personal taste, but I personally think they're very good. I particularly like and. But if you don't like them there's a option to play the original game's soundtrack instead. I'll grant you though that the radio chatter can get a bit annoying, but when I'm fully engrossed in the game it doesn't really register that much. Both the original and Climax were made by Sega AM2 and Yu Suzuki was still head of department back in 2006 when this came out. As with so many instances of new vs old games, I'd previously made a video comparing
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 09:30:14 am by MrThunderwing »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2016, 06:17:13 am »
Sorry mr thunder...

Id love to love it...but I cant.   The over use of blinding white and blue light, flashes, and extreme sun blinding..   as well as the wretchedly over-the-top  radio...  just blow the experience the bits.

I guess it really doesnt matter if Yu Suzuki was or was not involved.. because he made quite a lot of bombs, after the sprite years.

Kinda like Lucus with Starwars.

It takes a great team to put something special together..  and while the leaders often get the credit... they themselves are not fully responsible for the magic.  And even at times, when they are... it can be a  "Happy Accident",  that often never gets repeated, in their entire careers.

---

Heres a pic that says it all.   People whom do not understand art, reality, shading, lighting...etc..  do crap like this:

(Nothing but supersaturated light bloom, that looks unrealistic, awful, and annoying too boot.   Compare to Actual reality... as they should have)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2016, 07:44:36 am »
One of my gripes with modern racing games is that they are so drab.  The skies are always grey.  I love those beautiful blue skies Sega is known for.  This isn't a sim.  Nothing is lost and a lot is gained by making it pretty.  Look at the original Afterburner I & II.  Look at Daytona USA, Scud Race, Sonic the Hedgehog.  Beautiful blue skies, puffy white clouds, and lush green landscapes all around.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:37:56 am by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 10:18:22 am »
You guys are wasting your breath.  He said the same thing about outrun 2. 

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2016, 11:53:01 am »
You guys are wasting your breath.  He said the same thing about outrun 2.

So you are saying you think its great that in the captured image I posted... there are over 4 giant blobs of white?   No details, nothing but white and or blue BLOBS!   Thats basically how a 4 year old might paint something...   ::)

As for Outrun 2.. it got some decent looks..  but it plays baby stupid.   Unlike Ridge Racer,  which has a dynamic reason and skill to its use of power sliding... OR2  allows you to slide for like 2 minutes at a time.   The original Out Run is far more challenging than it, even on its easiest settings.   OR1 also has better sense of speed... as its not limited by a set locked 3d framework.

I love great driving games... especially Daytona USA, and Ridge Racer.   The Original Outrun has limits on what it does... but what it does.. it does with a sense of artistry, some realism, and with great challenging playability.   That just cant be said for the cheese factory that is OR2.

However... if you like games that have zero challenge... then I can see you Loving OR2.
Its pretty much a Kiddie Ride, without the Motion.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2016, 12:16:20 pm »
Here:

After Burner II (3DAges~Sega - PS2 - 2004)

The look on this version, is 1000x better than Climax.
Sadly, reviewer says it controls like butt... but..  It does show a far better done look, than white blobs all over the place.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 03:49:49 pm »
You cannot. Be serious.

You're saying, with a perfectly straight face, that a game that looks like this:

Is the benchmark that a game that looks like this -

- should aspire to?

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2016, 08:14:08 pm »
I guess you didnt click on the Picture I posted... which shows more than 3/4 ths of the screen as WHITE BLOBS!

Yup.. almost the entire game of AB Climax... is nothing but Retina burning BLOBS.   You dont get to SEE those shots you posted... for more than a fraction of a second.

Furthermore,  the "Sun"  blob,  and the blue blob,  are STILL in the pic you posted.

Its absolute and utter stupidity, and GARBAGE.

Then we add the Horrible mouth-diarrhea Radio,  which any Airforce person would tell you isnt realistic in the least... let alone Tolerable.
AND.. its Louder than the music... so any feeling you are SUPPOSED to get from the music... is totally lost Period.

And finish it off with easier difficulty,  worse music,  horrible flash-bomb and supernova-sun pans,  and stupid pinging  "achievement"  sounds... and you have witnessed the reason why Sega is barely alive today... even as a fractional, low-quality, software developer.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 09:25:40 pm »
I mean this in the nicest way.  Nobody cares. 

I posted some news about a ps3 emulator.  The bashing of the game doesn't add to the conversation in any way.  If you don't like the game then obviously the news doesn't pertain to you and you can ignore the post.  Please take your critiques elsewhere.

charliew

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2020, 08:31:12 pm
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 01:57:49 pm »
Here is a video of some guy running Outrun OA on it. A long way to go it seems. 5 fps on that monster computer.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 08:02:36 am »

Hey, bit of a necro bump here but... Isamu, prepare to blow your top:

! No longer available

It's still got a long way to go, but this is pretty good progress.

(Also, seems like a good opportunity to quickly plug my most recent related video)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:04:07 am by MrThunderwing »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 03:04:31 pm »
I never got afterburner to run.  I think it's the iso I was trying I dunno.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2017, 04:02:15 pm »
I think BYOAC forum member SegaOutrun managed to successfully get AB Climax running in Rpcs3, might be worth giving him a shout.

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2017, 05:41:42 am »

Hey, bit of a necro bump here but... Isamu, prepare to blow your top:

! No longer available

It's still got a long way to go, but this is pretty good progress.

(Also, seems like a good opportunity to quickly plug my most recent related video)

Yes I saw this too recently!!! We're getting there bro!  :cheers: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2017, 05:03:20 pm »
I'm hoping the Progress in RPCS3 will soon be duplicated in some sort of PS VIta emulator - I mean it's less powerful than a PS3, right? So presumably should take less CPU horsepower...? Then I can finally get to play some big screen Wipeout 2048. The stupid thing is, if only Sony had added Wipeout 2048 to the list of compatible PS Vita TV games I would've happily throw my cash-monies at them and bought one, but nope, they were going to be ---Deutsche Frankfurters--- about it, so no money from me to you Sony...

(I'm quite interested to try that Daytona USA hornet DLC for Ridge Racer Vita also, even though I've not heard brilliant things about the game itself)

You can play 2048 on the Vita TV if you do the whitelist hack... Also RR for Vita is a perfectly fine RR game the problem was they broke the game up into a million pieces of DLC and tried to sell it all to you on top of the base game, it was ridiculous.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 12:54:24 pm »

You can play 2048 on the Vita TV if you do the whitelist hack... Also RR for Vita is a perfectly fine RR game the problem was they broke the game up into a million pieces of DLC and tried to sell it all to you on top of the base game, it was ridiculous.

Yeah, I posted a thread about the Vita TV hack here a little while ago (ha, weirdly it links back in with AB Climax again). Unfortunately Sony patched out the exploit in their next firmware update as soon as the hack was discovered and I've no idea if new Vita TVs come with the old compatible firmware or not. My other plan is to give a it few years and then get a PS4 when they eventually come right down in price and get that Wipeout Omega Pack that's coming out.