Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rowe AMI Mute Wiring.  (Read 3305 times)

Smithie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2016, 08:32:06 am
  • Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Rowe AMI Mute Wiring.
« on: February 02, 2016, 06:10:15 am »
Hello all, before I ask any questions/pick your brains, I'll just quickly introduce myself. My name is Mark, I have a Rowe AMI R-82 that I am slowly breathing life back into and at the same time giving it a custom look (it was a woodhue...Yeah dark brown and fake wood look!!!!) It's the first Jukebox I've owned and I though it would be the best way to enjoy listing to the 45's I had been hoarding unlisted to for may years :-) I'll post some pics of it as I go, (if there is a relevant place here to do so) I think mostly of the outside and changes I'm making as I expect you have all seen enough photos of the inside of a jukebox.

OK,  I would like some advice on how to connect the mute, I have a 125 watt amp #6-07438-02 3 wires to the round molex plug, orange, black, red,. black wire is cut and go's nowhere. On the wiring loom I have 3 wires orange, black and white with spaced out red bands. So my question is, what wires connect and should the black in the amp connect to something?  Thanks, Mark (Smithie)

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
Re: Rowe AMI Mute Wiring.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 05:49:32 am »
Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

Your R-82 Woodhue, would originally have had the 64 watt amplifier fitted rather than the 125 watt, the mute and phono speakers plugs and sockets are identical.

The mute plug wiring should be as follows:-

Pin1 White/Red
Pin2 Black
Pin3 Orange

I suggest that you connect the black/white to the black on the mute plug and white/red to the red.

The 125 watt amplifier needs the cartridge to wired different to how it was wired for the 64 watt amp amp.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Smithie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:46:25 am »
Hi Alan, 

thanks for the fast reply and the helpful info. Mute wire colours sorted thanks but the problem is on the amp side.
The black wire is cut at the plug and goes nowhere, I have no wiring diagram so don't know where it should go? Can you help? And regarding the cartridge wires, the 2 lower offset pins marked RG and LG have black wires and the top 2 pins L and R have red wires on them. I believe this is correct for the amp I have? If I'm wrong then please call me an idiot and let me know the correct placing.

Many thanks for you help, Mark

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 11:05:52 am »
Hi Mark,

The black to the mute plug is basically one of the grounds in the jukebox loom.

I suggest that you purchase the correct manual for the jukebox.

The wiring of the cartridge you discribe is correct for the 125 watt amplifier, this is because that the cartidge is wired in phase, the 125 watt output is wired out of phase so the effect is enhanced bass.

On the 64 watt amplifier one of the lower pins would be red with the black from within the same screen above it, the other pin would be black with the red within the same screen above it.

I have been to all so many jukeboxes where the cartridge has been wired incorrectly and the overall sound has been very poor, people are amazed that their jukebox sounds so good and wonder why they have been putting up with poor sound for so many years.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Smithie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 04:44:50 pm »
Well after some fun and games the mute is now working!!!!! I got hold of the manual for the R-82 but it didn't really cover the amp I much detail at all, eventuality I located the wiring diagrams for the amp and plumbed it in, for anyone interested in how/what I did or has a similar problem please read on.

So I connected the mute wiring as it looked like it should be, turned on the jukebox and plugged in the mute...... F@*k me what a horrendous buzz through the speakers!!! (made me Jump is an understatement) and one of the overload lights came on. After various configurations and heart stopping buzzing effects, the one that actuality works is ??? Orange to Orange only, the other 2 wires in the round Molex plug are disconnected and now it works fine, happy days.

Thanks for the advice Alan, getting a manual is a must if you want to keep your jukebox alive.

Now I need to sort the noisy power supply It's humming like a swarm of bees, any help on where to start would be nice.  :-)

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 11:08:36 am »
Hi Mark,

Which country do you live in?
If you were in Europe youcould remove the powere supply and send it to me for testing/repair.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK