Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Hacking Hydro Thunder..err Offroad Thunder (Updated)  (Read 41968 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Hacking Hydro Thunder..err Offroad Thunder (Updated)
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2016, 09:23:22 pm »
Ok here we go guys:

https://www.mediafire.com/?8ead0hhe7ashjzf

No force feedback yet, but xinput rumble works and I think I've covered everything else.  Remember that I've taken full control of the game, so you have to setup all of your controls within the fxtconfig exe.   

This unfortunately might be my swan song.  I said things in EE that I can't take back and honestly, after milling it around in my head for a day I've realized I don't want to take it back.  The tone I took was unfortunate, but the things I presented were no less true.  I thought I could compartmentalize this and just stick to arcade stuff on these forums but someone always has to open their big mouth.  Posting a video of somebody getting killed was appalling enough on it's own, but the following comments and the fact that nobody said anything... that's just too much for me. 

So we'll see.  Maybe after a night's sleep I'll change my mind, but I honestly don't know at this point. 

adder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2016, 09:56:21 pm »
hey HC, don't worry about that crap...

how about some quotes from The Enchiridion by Epictetus:

- Men are disturbed not by things, but by the view which they take of them.

- Don't demand or expect that events happen as you would wish them do. Accept events as they actually happen. That way, peace is possible.

- Freedom and happiness are won by disregarding things that lie beyond our control.

- Keep your attention focused entirely on what is truly your own concern and be clear that what belongs to others is their business, and not yours.

- It is not external events themselves that cause us distress, but they way in which
  we think about them, our interpretation of their significance. It is our attitudes and reactions that give us trouble.

- We cannot choose our external circumstances, but we can always choose how we respond to them.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2016, 11:10:13 pm »
Ok here we go guys:

https://www.mediafire.com/?8ead0hhe7ashjzf

No force feedback yet, but xinput rumble works and I think I've covered everything else.  Remember that I've taken full control of the game, so you have to setup all of your controls within the fxtconfig exe.   

This unfortunately might be my swan song.  I said things in EE that I can't take back and honestly, after milling it around in my head for a day I've realized I don't want to take it back.  The tone I took was unfortunate, but the things I presented were no less true.  I thought I could compartmentalize this and just stick to arcade stuff on these forums but someone always has to open their big mouth.  Posting a video of somebody getting killed was appalling enough on it's own, but the following comments and the fact that nobody said anything... that's just too much for me. 

So we'll see.  Maybe after a night's sleep I'll change my mind, but I honestly don't know at this point.

I must have missed something, sounds serious. Maybe I don't want to know. Anyway, thanks Howard for all the hard work.

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2016, 11:33:36 pm »

uh what?

I have no idea what happened Howard but I hope you do reconsider. If some --missioncontrol-- was posting videos of someone getting killed on a arcade forum then what the hell is happening in this world

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2016, 03:37:36 am »
I lurk only some main forum boards, so I lost the thing. Howard, please, stay: whatever happened, you have tons of arcade enthusiasts waiting for your posts here

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2016, 08:20:02 am »
.....but anyway

This will probably make me get off ---my bottom--- and get a driving cab put back together.
Also looking forward to trying out Dirt Devils on more recent Supermodel SVN releases.
There is a big hole in my gamelist as long as these type games aren't emulated.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2016, 09:45:12 am »
Howard, thanks for the release! I'm on vacation away from home this week but it'll be a top priority to try it out once I'm back!

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2016, 02:27:51 pm »
Just gave it a try and it works great on windows 10! Thanks Howard and your right, surprisingly fun. Never had a chance to play it before...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2016, 03:46:43 pm »
I'm glad it's working.  I'll try to get a final release once I install it on my cab and I can craft some sort of FF.  It's interesting, because the game already comes with a ffe file and it's mentioned in the source around the gamecube comments. 

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2016, 06:53:41 am »
Posting a video of somebody getting killed was appalling enough on it's own, but the following comments and the fact that nobody said anything... that's just too much for me. 

Don't let the outliers win. The thread was reported and post-helled as soon as we got the report. That stuff is not welcomed here.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2016, 08:14:09 am »
Posting a video of somebody getting killed was appalling enough on it's own, but the following comments and the fact that nobody said anything... that's just too much for me. 

Don't let the outliers win. The thread was reported and post-helled as soon as we got the report. That stuff is not welcomed here.
I agree with Saint. Don't let stupid stuff like that get you down.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one, but I reported that thread once I saw it. Stupid political crap aside, there's no reason to post ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- like that here.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2016, 05:07:04 pm »
and... it's been posted again.  By the original poster... and he can't figure out why it's inappropriate.  This is why I'm contemplating leaving... we've got some sick people on this forum anymore and their b.s.  is loud enough to drown out the good ones. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2016, 05:39:45 pm »
and... it's been posted again.  By the original poster... and he can't figure out why it's inappropriate.  This is why I'm contemplating leaving... we've got some sick people on this forum anymore and their b.s.  is loud enough to drown out the good ones.
Are you sure? I'm not seeing it anywhere.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2016, 10:03:39 pm »
It's the post with the person asking why they can't see a post that's been sent to post hell. 

*edit*

Looks like that part of the conversation has been removed.  The mods are doing their job, so I can't put it on them, it's just some people are so darn hard-headed.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:10:11 pm by Howard_Casto »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #134 on: November 17, 2016, 11:54:49 pm »
Back on topic. 

I got a minute or two to try the released build on my cab.  It has a couple of issues BUT, it appears that the issue in outrun about the wrapper crashing if any joystick other than 1 is selected is now fixed, so I can apply those changes to outrun and that's one more bug squashed.  I did notice that the Nitro lamp isn't working like it should, so I'll release a fix later. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2016, 09:25:51 pm »
Getting an unexpected error.  Running a build of TinyXP64.  Unpacked everything into MOT3 where my pcoffroad.exe is located.  Ensured I had everything required installed.  Ran as admin, ran backwards compatibility for 95.  Getting unexpected errors on everything. 

Fully acknowledge I'm running a nonstandard OS so if that's going to be a deal breaker for this then I understand, however, if you can work some magic and get me going I'd appreciate it to no end man.   

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2016, 12:54:30 am »
95 compatibility is going to make things worse, so set that back. 

An unexpected error isn't enough info.  What happens?  What do you mean you are getting unexpected errors on everything?

If the wrapper crashes and that's it then it is probably on my end, but if, just as an example, the config program also crashes, then you are missing some windows files.  I've only ever managed to get it to crash if I bind the inputs to the wrong joystick (like one that doesn't exist). 

It should be noted that I don't run XP on anything anymore, so I'm unsure if there are any xp specific issues.  TinyXP probably makes troubleshooting even harder. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2016, 09:21:35 am »
So the text box that opens when I attempt to execute anything just says, "an unexpected error has occurred" , I click okay and it closes out.  So not a lot to go on there.  The config program is crashing like that, ditto the wrapper.  I'll reinstall the window files and give that a shot, see if I get any results.  Is there anything else required beyond what was listed in the readme?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2016, 12:31:36 pm »
Afaik vb can't even throw that error (all errors are handled and given a number), so it's something missing in windows.

Make sure the visual studio 6 runtime files are installed and directx 8.  In addition, I make use of comctrl32.dll, but it's optional.

Accroding to dependency walker (which is sometimes inaccurate) the wrapper makes calls to:

msvbvm60.dll
kernel32.dll
ntdll.dll
kernelbase.dll
user32.dll
win32u.dll
gdi32.dll
advapi32.dll
msvcrt.dll
sechost.dll
rpcrt4.dll
sspicli.dll
cryptbase.dll
bcryptprimitives.dll
ole32.dll
combase.dll
oleaut32.dll
msvcp_win.dll

It should be noted that I don't run XP on anything anymore, so I suppose it could be an xp issue as well, but I doubt it.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2016, 02:21:16 pm »
^ thanks for the rundown.  I'm sure it's something specific to the barebones xp version I'm running.  I'll recheck all this stuff over the holiday and see what gets it running.   

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: November 28, 2016, 01:29:44 pm »
Whats weird is the first time I ran it it worked flawlessly. Now its very glitchy the sound is jumping around and it seems like its running at too high an FPS because the gameplay is super jittery.

Wierd.

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 08:16:45 pm
« Reply #141 on: December 14, 2016, 07:26:51 pm »
Just going back to Hydro Thunder for a sec; the standalone Eurocom version works fine via dgVoodoo's DirectX dlls, meaning you can run it in HD resolutions (1440x1080 for example). It looks awesome!

The MAT3 versions do some weird rendering tricks, so dgVoodoo won't work with them.

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2.html

I'm currently grabbing screenshots of old racing games up-rezzed to HD. Some really look good (Colin McRae Rally 1 for example: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/47401/colin-mcrae-rally-1-in-hd).

Here's Hydro Thunder (Eurocom port, not MAT3DE version) in HD 1440x1080, looks tasty, although 30fps hurts (compared to Hydro Thunder Hurricane):

p.s. the MAT3DE versions I think use DirectX9+ perhaps, as dgvoodoo2 only supports up to DX8, so that might be why they don't work in high-res.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:28:47 pm by VirtuaIceMan »
Check out my racing game videos, including every PC F1 and Rally game ever, over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtuaIceMan/

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2016, 03:08:22 am »
It looks really good man.  Have you tried contacting the author?  It appears that the project is still active and he is trying to add games on a case by case basis.

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: December 15, 2016, 04:55:13 am »
Oh yeah you can follow the project on VOGONS http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34931

Many, many games work on dgvoodoo2, I did a big screenshots selection of racing games, but it's only on a forum that not many people see, I may post it elsewhere soon...
Check out my racing game videos, including every PC F1 and Rally game ever, over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtuaIceMan/

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #144 on: December 15, 2016, 06:36:15 am »
Oh yeah you can follow the project on VOGONS http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=34931

Many, many games work on dgvoodoo2, I did a big screenshots selection of racing games, but it's only on a forum that not many people see, I may post it elsewhere soon...
Thanks for posting that.  Once upon a time, I had SF Rush the Rock looking sweet with this.  But at some point I lost it and when I started messing with the game again, I couldn't find the same glide wrapper.  I knew I was missing a lot with nglide.

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: December 17, 2016, 11:11:56 am »

Thanks for posting that.  Once upon a time, I had SF Rush the Rock looking sweet with this.  But at some point I lost it and when I started messing with the game again, I couldn't find the same glide wrapper.  I knew I was missing a lot with nglide.

If you mean the Quantum3D version (rather than the MAT3DE version), then I use nGlide Glide wrapper for that, with the launch command on the shortcut of Rush640.exe -U (640x480 res then nGlide can be set to upscale it), the -U unlocks frame rate, as it's really jerky by default.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 07:22:01 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #146 on: December 17, 2016, 07:32:15 pm »
That HD Hydro Thunder picture looks awesome.

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2016, 04:57:14 am »
That HD Hydro Thunder picture looks awesome.

I'll repost all the other upscaled old racing games images here a bit later on, in case anyone's interested? Basically I took a collection of older D3D racing games that ran at around 640x480 to 1024x768 and upscaled them to 1440x1080!

POOTERMAN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2021, 05:08:30 pm
    • My PC Desktop Icon Atwork
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2018, 06:43:51 pm »
Can't believe I totally missed this topic somehow! Anyway, wanted to have a game of Offroad Thunder and remembered it was on the Midway Treasures 3 pack so loaded it up tonight with Howard's loader. The loader works great (Big thanks Howard) but the game launches in a very small window on my 32" 4k monitor:( Has anyone had any luck in trying to get this game to launch in full screen mode (not a maximised window) or do any of the DirectX/Glide wrappers dgvoodoo/nGlide etc work on Offroad Thunder in order to get it to run at a higher resolution?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2018, 08:53:47 pm »
Umm FXTConfig.exe.... uncheck "windowed".  If it is still running in windowed mode then something is messed up on your end.  For the record, no, the game is rendered natively at 640x480 and while I can get the resolution to increase via hacking, the render size is still 640x480, just stretched.

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: April 10, 2019, 08:18:42 am »
Might be worth noting that the Midway Arcade Treasures games can be upscaled with dgVoodoo2 now, as it supports DirectX9, some work okay, some less so.

Also, I just noticed this Hydro Thunder knockoff coming to Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1029530/Aqua_Rally/

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2019, 02:50:03 pm »
Oh man, I was getting all excited by the phrase 'Hydro Thunder Knockoff', but Jebus, that looks awful...

POOTERMAN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2021, 05:08:30 pm
    • My PC Desktop Icon Atwork
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2019, 06:47:15 pm »
I think Awful is being far too kind mate :(

I was only thinking today that H2Overdrive could be closer to being emulated now that old PC Linux based games will be a lot easier to emulate now in the Teknoparrot emulator.

Never give up hope eh!

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: April 11, 2019, 11:17:10 am »
Ha, that was literally the first thing that went through my mind when I'd read Reaver's announcement about the Elf file emulator thingamabob. Fingers crossed!

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: April 21, 2019, 11:51:59 am »
I would definitely recommend anyone who's yearning for something to plug the H2Overdrive shaped hole in their game collection to check out Riptide GP Renegade. I've plugged this game on here before, but I don't think the videos I'd uploaded (using the PS4's internal capture) really did it justice stuck at 30fps and 720p. I've uploaded a couple of new videos using my external capture device, which shows what the game SHOULD look like, running at 60 fps and then further upscaled to 4K to stop YouTube compressing the video and turning it into a horrible pixelated mess. It looks awesome and is really solid budget priced aquatic arcade racer:

Tropico Bay:

Firewater:

Hydreigon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2023, 09:57:11 pm
« Reply #155 on: April 21, 2019, 01:08:15 pm »
Quite a nice looking game but I can't say much about budget games like this. I have an interesting Hydro Thunder related question.

I wonder if anyone has gotten the arcade version of Hydro, Offroad and Arctic Thunder to load on pc? The following applies to all these games.
  • PC based hardware (obviously).
  • All of them use an additional board for controls. Their purpose differs depending on the game.
  • Hydro Thunder uses a Deigo board for security between the video card and hard drive. There has been ways to bypass the security (this is needed to replace a failing hard drive or video card). I don't know if this security if just for Hydro Thunder?
  • Off Road and Arctic Thunder use a Magicbus board though there isn't as much security involved compared to Hydro Thuner
  • Hydro and Offroad Thunder require the additional board to convert the display output from VGA to EGA.
  • There do exist "virgin" drives for replacing a dead hard drive on these games but I don't know much on that.

I'm thinking vmware with security implementation/bypass is the only way to run these games but I could be wrong.

killerinstinct

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2021, 11:24:17 am
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2019, 02:09:31 pm »
Hello,

Just installed Hydro thunder pc version on my racing cabinet., but I just can't set the controls for my steering wheel,

I can only steer left and right but can't set the gas and brake??

The wheel I use is logitech g27
Verstuurd vanaf mijn POT-LX1 met Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 04:15:21 pm by killerinstinct »

SteelRush

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2023, 02:17:52 pm
« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2019, 10:14:28 pm »
 I am curious why we aren’t looking at running the arcade version.  If I remember correctly, it is a x86 CPU running on an embedded version of Windows.  Since it hasn’t been done, I’m sure things are more complicated than they seem.

killerinstinct

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2021, 11:24:17 am
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2019, 01:13:23 pm »
Hello,

Just installed Hydro thunder pc version on my racing cabinet., but I just can't set the controls for my steering wheel,

I can only steer left and right but can't set the gas and brake??

The wheel I use is logitech g27
No one who can help?

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2019, 08:23:25 am »
Assuming you mean the Eurocom port, pressing F keys may get you to somewhere you can define controls. Not sure if it supports wheels or not, as not tried myself.