Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sound but no image with videos  (Read 3359 times)

big10p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Sound but no image with videos
« on: February 01, 2016, 09:51:21 am »
Videos in MaLa are playing the audio track but not showing the video. I previously solved this by installing the CCCP codec pack, but now this doesn't solve the issue. This is the latest beta of MaLa, running on 64-bit win7. Any ideas? All my vids are MP4, BTW.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 10:04:42 am by big10p »

empardopo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:43:31 am
    • My personal forum
Re: Sound but no image with videos
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:34:48 am »
I think your problem is the codec!

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 01:28:06 pm »
Yeah, I know it's a codec issue. Installing CCCP codecs used to solve it, but now it doesn't work.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 01:35:39 pm »
In the past I've always used the Klite mega codec pack - the codecs cover pretty much all formats and work well together so might try that instead of CCCP.  :dunno

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/k_lite_mega_codec_pack,2.html - been awhile since I used MAjor Geeks for a download and/or installed Klite so be sure to watch for unwanted addins in the download (ie. uncheck any additional program downloads included with the one you wanted !) -- they used to be clean downloads but not sure any more since many sites now include options for additional products that need to be unchecked rather than using the default install - so figured best to warn you first just in case !!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 02:00:26 pm »
can you play the video in windows?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 03:04:05 pm »
I took a risk and just installed this codec pack, before reading the replies here:
http://www.windows7codecs.com/

Seems to have fixed it. MP4 vids now play in MaLa. Still don't play in WMP, but I don't care about that on my cab PC. :)

If anyone else is going to try this pack, just make sure you click the 'Decline' button in the installer, when it asks if you want to install a load of Yahoo junk.

Thanks all.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 06:33:49 am by big10p »

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 06:36:45 am »
Scratch that. I just realized it plays videos at a reduced frame rate. Pac-Man looks like he's jerking along with his mouth stuck open!  :(

I'll give that Klite pack a try JDFan, and report back. Cheers.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2016, 09:24:14 am »
Hmm. Same problem with Klite. Weird thing is, both codec packs I've tried play vids fine in MaLa, on my desktop PC with nVidia GFX. ATI cards have reported bugs with HW decoding so it's advised to turn this off, which I did with the Klite tweak tool, but it didn't help.

I've only been having this on my cab PC since re-installing win7 (64bit) and installing CRT emudriver v2. I'm sure vids were working fine before with an earlier version of CRT emudriver. Can someone with the same setup as me confirm they have videos playing OK (at correct frame rate), please?

My GFX card is an ATI 4350, BTW.

burn_654

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2016, 12:03:44 pm »
I've been having tons of problems with video playback in Mala with a radeon HD4870 running CRT emudriver. My symptoms included (and they varied depending on codec pack) either no playback, only sound playback, or playback of one or two videos (sometimes only a few seconds of the video) before hard-crashing Mala. So I have an interest here in figuring out the best combinations for smooth video playback.

But my setup is on 1.2b on Windows XP 32 bit. I'll be interested in trying to disable HW decoding with Klite, hadn't heard that one.

Do the videos play in the standalone Mala video player? (available in this forum?) in several of my configurations they played fine in there but had problems in actual Mala.
Also see if they will play in your system in Media Player Classic.

Where did you get your videos from - did you compress them to MP4 yourself? If so what tool did you use?

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 03:58:57 pm »
Think I got the vids (all MP4) from emumovies, ages ago. I'll give the standalone MaLa player a go - I see the download page has a link to a codec pack, so will try that, too.

However, I  have a spare win7 PC with an ATI 4350 installed, and videos work fine in MaLa on that, after installing the Klite codecs. This leaves CRT_emudriver as a possible cause for loss of framerate in videos? I don't know, TBH. Especially as vids played fine when I was using an older version of CRT emudriver.