Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project Friday the 13th  (Read 12551 times)

Montani

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2024, 08:59:37 pm
  • You and your friends are dead. Game Over
Re: Project Friday the 13th
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 07:15:34 pm »
I will send you 10 bucks via PAYPAL If you want to start over on that. I think you got good ideas, and now that you know a bit more, it's time to start over.

Haha...I knew that was coming.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 07:17:02 pm »
Yotsome!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 07:17:50 pm »
Seriously, you took the feedback like a man, and you're trying to fix the issue. To me, that's worthy. If you're on a budget, I'd be happy to help out.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 07:21:00 pm »
I will send you 10 bucks via PAYPAL If you want to start over on that. I think you got good ideas, and now that you know a bit more, it's time to start over.

And you are 100% correct. Time to lick my wounds and start over. I won't be happy with flaws, and the control panel is the most critical piece. I'll keep updating on my progress.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 07:24:25 pm »
Seriously, you took the feedback like a man, and you're trying to fix the issue. To me, that's worthy. If you're on a budget, I'd be happy to help out.

Just keep dishing the feedback. I want a quality build that I can be proud of.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2016, 07:26:46 pm »
Moving forward. How many admin buttons do you guys actually use for a hyperspin setup? Should I add left and right mouse click buttons?

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 07:38:29 pm »
Should I add left and right mouse click buttons?

No.  Just map R/L mouse to P1 button 1&2.  Or player 1/2 start.  Or something like that.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2016, 11:37:43 pm »
Not sure about hyperspin, but right mouse click can open settings in some front-ends and emulators.

If you give guests or children any way to screw up your cab, they will find it.
It doesn't matter if it requires a combination of simultaneously pressed buttons or using a hidden shift button,
someone will accidentally do it and proceed to screw up your settings.

Your goal should be to make it impossible to make any changes to the setup without using a wireless keyboard and/or mouse.
Also make sure the power button is hidden.

I like only having Exit and maybe Pause.  That's usually it.
I have two extra arrows on mine that switch between genre based gamelists because all the arcade games on my setup are divided up by genre (using Mala as a front-end)

Since you've got the extra spaces, you could do volume up/down, maybe even mute.  Sorry if I missed what interface you are using, but I think the Ipac can be mapped for this just like the volume buttons on a media keyboard.

You could do save and load, but then MAME will ask you to press another key to choose the save slot.  Also not all emulators support save states.  (experiment with it first to see how it works)

You could do dedicated navigation buttons like Prev/Next Emulator

That's all I can think of at the moment.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:50:53 pm by BadMouth »

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2016, 11:45:16 pm »
It doesn't matter if it requires a combination of simultaneously pressed buttons or using a hidden shift button,

When I built my first MAME cabinet, the first time I let people come over and play unsupervised, they crippled the damn thing using hidden functions. I had to make a change immediately.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2016, 12:17:20 am »

When I built my first MAME cabinet, the first time I let people come over and play unsupervised, they crippled the damn thing using hidden functions. I had to make a change immediately.

Lol. I heard that. To this day I'm still trying to figure out how my 3yr old managed to crowbar one of my Mame machines in a matter of seconds. Take Badmouth's good advice.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:09:01 pm by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2016, 11:42:20 am »
Solid advice. Escape and pause is what I'm am going with.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2016, 12:40:56 pm »
I always wire the mouse buttons to a pair of buttons that won't ever get used outside of Mame, like coin buttons or the buttons that go to a 4-way stick or something.

Should I add left and right mouse click buttons?

No.  Just map R/L mouse to P1 button 1&2.  Or player 1/2 start.  Or something like that.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Brizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2017, 07:13:27 pm
  • I love designing custom graphics. Need some?
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2016, 09:28:00 am »
My own setup.... I have a trackball with left and right mouse buttons, but the mouse buttons are not necessary once your front end and emulators are setup (I prefer GameEx, though I have Hyperspin as well that I have yet to learn).  I DEFINITELY have Pause and Exit, though I have it set to have to press pause and Exit at the same time (helps with "Oops"s)  ha ha. 

I agree, you took the feedback like a champ.  And I agree with you.  If you keep the CP you cut, you'll always see, or know, the improvement you could have made... so yeah, just redo it so you can feel pride for the project, and pride for what you've learned from these great people, which only helps make the experience better.  I have very limited time to work on arcade stuff these days, but that's all the more reason to redo something instead of allowing myself to feel bad about any mistake I made.  I sold an arcade I cut corners on because I wasn't proud of it.  Do it .. DO IT!

:)

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2016, 02:35:01 pm »
My own setup.... I have a trackball with left and right mouse buttons, but the mouse buttons are not necessary once your front end and emulators are setup (I prefer GameEx, though I have Hyperspin as well that I have yet to learn).  I DEFINITELY have Pause and Exit, though I have it set to have to press pause and Exit at the same time (helps with "Oops"s)  ha ha. 

I agree, you took the feedback like a champ.  And I agree with you.  If you keep the CP you cut, you'll always see, or know, the improvement you could have made... so yeah, just redo it so you can feel pride for the project, and pride for what you've learned from these great people, which only helps make the experience better.  I have very limited time to work on arcade stuff these days, but that's all the more reason to redo something instead of allowing myself to feel bad about any mistake I made.  I sold an arcade I cut corners on because I wasn't proud of it.  Do it .. DO IT!

:)
Thanks brother. I'm married so I'm used to taking a beating :) Do I need an "Enter" button to be able to select hyperspin games?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2016, 02:44:54 pm »
At least in my experience people instinctively use the first button on P1 controls.
I originally used P1 start to launch games, but it was always the 2nd button people tried.
I'd often forget and press the first button on P1 controls also.   :lol

If there was a button labeled "start game" though, I'm sure people would notice and use it instead.

Personally I'd rather use the first button of P1 controls.
My hands are already resting there while I'm scrolling through the games.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2016, 02:57:08 pm »
At least in my experience people instinctively use the first button on P1 controls.
I originally used P1 start to launch games, but it was always the 2nd button people tried.

If there was a button labeled "start game" though, I'm sure people would notice and use it instead.

That's strange. I have a test bench setup for my hyperspin. P1 button one doesn't select the games. I have to hit enter on my keyboard. I must have something messed up.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2016, 03:02:34 pm »

That's strange. I have a test bench setup for my hyperspin. P1 button one doesn't select the games. I have to hit enter on my keyboard. I must have something messed up.

Check your keyboard or joystick mappings under the "controls" tab in HyperHQ
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2016, 03:08:12 pm »

I'm speaking in general terms.  I'm not using Hyperspin.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2016, 04:01:47 pm »
What interface are you using for the controls?

I might regret opening this can of worms since it seems you're extremely new to setting this stuff up, but forewarned is forearmed and all that.

If you're early in the process and haven't mapped too much yet, I recommend ditching the first four default MAME keys (CTRL, Shift, ALT, Spacebar).
They cause annoying things to happen in windows until you disable windows hotkeys and more importantly aren't compatible with some other emulators that you'll probably want to set up down the road.  (press CTRL+ALT+arrow key...there's a good chance your screen will rotate)

By ditch, I mean replace them with different keys. If you're using an Ipac, you can reprogram it to post some other keys in their place.
If you're using some other keyboard encoder, then just use the different connections on the encoder that post other keys.   I use V,B,N,M.
You could still get away with using those special keys for coin inputs, since those usually aren't needed for console emulators and won't be pressed in combination with other controls.

If you don't plan on running anything but MAME or are going to use an interface that shows up as gamepads, then disregard.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:07:01 pm by BadMouth »

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2016, 04:14:07 pm »
What interface are you using for the controls?

I might regret opening this can of worms since it seems you're extremely new to setting this stuff up, but forewarned is forearmed and all that.

If you're early in the process and haven't mapped too much yet, I recommend ditching the first four default MAME keys (CTRL, Shift, ALT, Spacebar).
They cause annoying things to happen in windows until you disable windows hotkeys and more importantly aren't compatible with some other emulators that you'll probably want to set up down the road.  (press CTRL+ALT+arrow key...there's a good chance your screen will rotate)

By ditch, I mean replace them with different keys. If you're using an Ipac, you can reprogram it to post some other keys in their place.
If you're using some other keyboard encoder, then just use the different connections on the encoder that post other keys.   I use V,B,N,M.
You could still get away with using those special keys for coin inputs, since those usually aren't needed for console emulators and won't be pressed in combination with other controls.

If you don't plan on running anything but MAME or are going to use an interface that shows up as gamepads, then disregard.
Using Ipac 4. I figured out how to not need an enter button. I changed a setting in hyperspin to match my P1 button. I haven't really begun mapping. I just got my hyperspin running with my emulators. Mapping is coming soon. Thanks for the advice

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2016, 07:27:04 pm »
I made a graphic for the front of my control panel. I have 30.5" x 4.875" of blank space on my control panel front face I would like to fill. This was my first idea. Should I add counselor names underneath the pictures or change anything?

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2016, 07:42:00 pm »
I've never played the game, but I know the movies...  Maybe stamp a big red circle/slash over each face pic, like a kill counter?

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2016, 07:53:20 pm »
Round 2!

Hello everyone! I've been slowly chipping away at my control panel. I just wanted to give a quick update of my progress. I started completely over. My joysticks have been corrected with this build. I still need to trim the graphic a little, but it is close. I have the control panel box assembled. I am still finishing the paint on it. I will update when I have the control panel attached and begin wiring. Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2016, 07:46:50 pm »
Gawdy 80's glory. Pedestal section is under-works. Long way to go.

Brizzle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2017, 07:13:27 pm
  • I love designing custom graphics. Need some?
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2016, 09:30:14 am »
Great job!  It may be tough to see the benefit of starting over to "correct" the joystick orientation, but you would have disliked it had you kept it that way (maybe this has already been mentioned). 

I think you're doing great and that it looks sweet!  I personally hated that game... not because it wasn't likable, but because it was nearly impossible (watch YouTube videos).  I love that you went with the 8-bit theme, and I really like the buttons on the front corners :) 

Good work!

Montani

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2016, 03:30:28 pm »
Great job!  It may be tough to see the benefit of starting over to "correct" the joystick orientation, but you would have disliked it had you kept it that way (maybe this has already been mentioned). 

I think you're doing great and that it looks sweet!  I personally hated that game... not because it wasn't likable, but because it was nearly impossible (watch YouTube videos).  I love that you went with the 8-bit theme, and I really like the buttons on the front corners :) 

Good work!
Thanks man. Re-doing it was a must for sure. I'm glad I did. The theme certainly isn't for everyone, but it is totally what I was going for. I got my hyperspin pretty well setup. 17000 games audit on 5TB of space. Now that my control panel is together I should be able to begin mapping some buttons. I still need to get some light guns and a coin door, but I am happy with the progress.

Wyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 09:22:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2016, 05:39:15 am »
DUDE! That looks awesome!!!!  :applaud: