Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Web of Wonder  (Read 32416 times)

JudgeRob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 10:55:50 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149265.120.html
Re: Web of Wonder
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2016, 08:14:02 pm »
Repaint of the control panel.  It's no "OND" mirror finish, but about as good as it gets coming out of my workshop!

Got some steel bars to hold the sticks in place:

Painted them white and installed with threaded inserts:

The leaf switch converters from Paradise need a little notch cut out for the LED wires.  Which is kind of odd since the buttons, leds and switches all came from Paradise. Anyway, this dremel attachment works perfect:

Wired up the control and power switch.  This plate is going on the top of the cabinet:

Had a partial strip of these 12v leds left over from another project.  I'm going to try and use them in the marquee and behind the speakers.  They are "soft" white, so I hope they work OK and aren't too yellowish.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2016, 10:42:40 pm »
I got the coin door all straightened out and put back together.  As I described in the first post, the third middle slot is the Spidey Sense Game Select System  ;D.  I have only set up a couple of the RFID coins so far for test purposes.  I should be able to expand it to around 50 or so without too much work. 

Here's a short video of the system in action.  It has no real "front end" at this point, so it's kind of raw.  But, of course, the whole point is to avoid the use of a front end.

http://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&feature=vm&video_id=pfXv2DhGA4Y

The video shows me alternating the coins between TopGunner to SuperTank and back to TopGunner.  The first thing it does is exit out of the current MAME instance and then launches the new one.  I built in some pauses to ensure things do not happen too fast.  I will gradually reduce these to an acceptable amount.  I also built in a 5 second "lockout" between coins because trying to exit out of MAME before the startup sequence is complete was giving me some trouble.  I might need to make it 10 seconds or more.

I'm ordering some custom decals for the coins, so I can't wait to get that.  I'll post some more pics when those puppies come in!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:06:53 pm by JudgeRob »

Scotty_C

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 02:54:51 pm
  • The addiction is strong!!
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2016, 09:53:16 am »
Okay now that is bad ass! Great job! :applaud:

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: August 28, 2016, 11:33:32 pm »
Here's a little sneak peek of some coins to show what a badass job SlammedNiss did on them.  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130477.0.html

Unfortunately, I misplaced the order of blank coins.  So now I have to wait for an order from China to come in to finish the rest.  :banghead:

Irfdude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2022, 02:45:57 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2016, 06:33:03 am »
Absolutely love the Token scenario. I've been looking to make a cab for a primary school I work for, but was struggling with how to make it a reward. The potential to use this makes me giddy.
Any chance of pointers towards where you got your ideas or instructions for it?
Love the build to date. Keep it up.

BigCurtis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2018, 05:11:38 pm
  • Life is Game.
    • Angry Cat Entertainment
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2016, 09:11:32 pm »
For artwork, especially if you return to SM + WW, consider an art split like the Ms. Pac/Galaga reunion machine. Left side art Spidey, righ side art The Amazon. Do a cool custom split for marquee, cpo, and bezel (kickplate if you go there as well). Could be quite cool. A Marvel/D.C. crossover I'd read/watch. Also as others have said, stick to the comic styling.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2016, 12:17:56 am »
Any chance of pointers towards where you got your ideas or instructions for it?

Absolutely.  I was just trying to think of ways to make the cab more approachable to kids and technologically challenged adults.  Plus I'm not sure about putting labels on my buttons.  So navigating the menus of a front end is a little challenging, even if you have LEDBlinky showing the controls.  I figured RFID tags would make it a snap.  There are a lot of ways to implement.  You could have a hole and put RFID nails into it, a slot for cards or even just a sleeve for the coins.  I just happened to get hooked on the coin slot method because I thought it integrated more easily.  I initially tried to add the reader onto an existing coin slot (like P1 or P2) but I couldn't get the mechs to work correctly with the light weight plastic tokens.  I had something going with ceramic/glass tokens but they used a different communication protocol and wouldn't work with my reader.  Eventually, it was just easier to add the third slot.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have.  There are a lot of possibilities, especially if you have coding skills (unlike me!).  :D

Left side art Spidey, righ side art The Amazon. Do a cool custom split for marquee, cpo, and bezel (kickplate if you go there as well). Could be quite cool. A Marvel/D.C. crossover I'd read/watch. Also as others have said, stick to the comic styling.

Yeah, I'm going with Spiderman right side, Spiderwoman left side.  I have some new pics I need to get posted....

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2016, 12:43:08 am »
Wires wires wires

Side art.  Brad printed these out for me.  I used the "tuck" technique where the vinyl is tucked under the t-molding.  Gotta use a heat gun and press it down.

And with the control panel and t-molding in:

Lotta red on this puppy!  :D

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2016, 12:20:06 am »

Shipment of tokens in from China.  Woot.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2017, 11:34:39 pm »
Hi guys.  So, I committed the sin of getting 95% complete and moving it in and starting to play on it and neglecting some finishing touches.  Life got in the way too, so I'm going to finish this puppy up now. 

I was hoping to get some feedback about marquee lighting.  I used a bunch of cool white LEDs to light up my marquee, but it seems like I either have too much light or I need a warmer color spectrum.  The blacks look too purple and washed out to me.  It also seems too bright overall compared to the rest of the cab. 

Don't a lot of cabs use florescent bulbs with a cooler color?  I guess my dilemma is do I cut the number of cool LEDs that I have in there or switch to a strand of "warm" white LEDs?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2017, 05:05:15 am »
Are the LED's directed straight at the marquee?
If so you want to difuse the light and reflect it back.

I made my diffuser like so:

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2017, 09:36:33 pm »
Yeah, I pointed them toward it and used like 6 strands back and forth.  I'm thinking maybe I went overkill on the number of LEDs...

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2017, 10:20:08 am »
WOW awesome build.  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2017, 10:26:38 pm »
Thanks bud.

I opened up the marquee section and the LED strips had collapsed into a big mess:

I switched over to a "warm" LED strand for comparision:

Looking at the pictures, I like the warm LEDs better, but in real life I thought the whites looked too yellow.  So, I decided to go back to the cool white LEDs.  But... I cut about 3 feet off of the strand.  I also cleaned up most of the light bleed out of the sides.  I'm happy with the results now. 

I also ran some red LEDs behind the speakers since they were a sort of diffused white cones anyway.  They look kind of orange in the pics, but they're a deeper red in person.  The back light sort of makes the spider grills stand out.  :)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2017, 06:38:42 am »
Yeah way to many LEDs there to start LOL

Nice job with the grills they look awesome!!

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2017, 08:04:03 pm »
Yeah way to many LEDs there to start LOL

Nice job with the grills they look awesome!!
I did the same with my build at first!  Ended up cutting off ~4ft because they were so bright!

Gotta say, I love the cab design/name.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2017, 01:13:22 am »
SPIDEY SENSE SYSTEM COMPLETE!

So with the help of BadMouth and a tool by “kasty”, I was able to clean up and finalize the Spidey Sense anti-front-end system.  Calling it a front-end is kind of a misnomer since you really never see any kind of menu screen except when the system first launches.  The whole point was to do away with the typical front-end, menu-driven experience and substitute it with a tactile, physical experience.  Here it is in a nutshell. 

At the initial power on, the Spidey Sense system boots up (through Windows) and the user is greeted with a sort of splash screen.  I have a generic Spiderman pic for now, but I’ll probably swap it for something else. 

The user then grabs a game token.  Here is a pile of various tokens. 

I struggled with a way to store and access the tokens.  I went with a binder using display sheets for coin collectors. 

Each page has labels for easy reading.

I have to say, I am not totally satisfied with this approach.  The tokens are not very easy to remove if you have fat adult-sized thumbs (but the kids seem to have an easier time with it).  They also slip out too easily if the binder is turned upside down.  Still waiting for that perfect approach to come to me after a few beers.

I also have what I call the “Rotating Handle” page.  This gives me 20 tokens to rotate in and out and assign a temporary slot to see what we like.  I’ve loaded it with a lot of sports games at the moment to play around with. 

I’ll probably trick out the list with some marquee graphics when I get some time.

Once the user picks a token, the execution is easy as pie.  Just stick it in the special middle yellow glowy slot and after a delay of about a second, the game fires up.  The token passes right through and back out the coin return.  Best practice is to immediately take it out and put it away.  :)

Here’s kind of a lame picture of the RFID reader mounted to the coin mech. 

When the user wants to switch games, there is no need to back out or press any keystrokes.  Badmouth helped me modify MAME to accept directinput, so the software can execute the keystroke to exit.  All you have to do is put the next game token in and the system does the rest!  There’s a brief flash of the windows screen and then the next game starts up.  It’s great for kids and random adults.  The best part is, at parties I don’t get nagged every 10 minutes to change the game.  It’s so simple an ape can operate it.  With LEDblinky lighting up the buttons to use, the system is just about as basic as a multi-game system can get!

Honestly, I find myself just using the tokens most of the time for my favorite games.  I have a Hyperspin install as well which I use to browse the library for new games.  You don’t get previews or other fancy stuff with this anti-frontend setup, but hey, previews only tell you so much about payability anyway.  :P  It’s kind of nice how someone else can browse the catalog while others are playing...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2017, 03:15:18 am »
Awesome to see you got this going properly :)

Great job!

reptileink

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 11:30:55 am
  • An 8 bit hero
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2017, 10:30:16 am »
Thought of this build the other day. The local drive in (yes, there are still some floating around). Has Spiderman playing back to back with Wonder Woman....lol.

Love this build, looking great!   :applaud:

~Building Arcade Cabinets are like raising children, you always mess up your first~

Scotty_C

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 02:54:51 pm
  • The addiction is strong!!
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2017, 11:40:31 am »
Very nice!! We need a final walk through vid  :P

Tried to think of a way to store the tokens but man...that is difficult. I think the card sleeve approach is probably the best if you want to see everything all laid out like that.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2017, 09:50:39 pm »
Working on a little video.  :)

I wish I had painted the tokens gold before I put the decals on.   :-[

I'll probably make some entirely unnecessarily glorified way to push a button to select the coin, have it roll down a chute, activate a laser and then start the game.   :P

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2017, 05:00:02 pm »
Sweet! I love your idea of the spider sense game selection! Another 1st, I think?
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

n3wt0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2024, 05:03:38 pm
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2017, 10:34:50 am »
This is a very cool cab with an out of the box way of selecting games. I am super impressed by the end result. Congrats!  :cheers:

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2017, 10:46:20 pm »
Thanks guys.  Here's a quick and dirty video.  Hopefully it is easier to see it in action how the RFID system works. 

RFID Launch System:

! No longer available

I thought we used to have embedded video tags?  Oh well, the link above should work.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 10:52:48 pm by JudgeRob »

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 11:41:19 pm
« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2017, 11:54:07 pm »
Nice work!  I like the color scheme' lighting and the RFID token game activate is novel.  You may end up finding a coin tray easier to pick tokens from than the plastic sleeves but all in all a great idea!  :cheers:

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2017, 05:40:11 pm »
Thanks OND.  I hope I have lived up to the vision you had for the cabinet design you put out there all those years ago.  Credit to you for all of the work you shared with us so generously.  :)

I even thought about those little quarter donation cards they have at checkout stands.  I'm close to something, I can almost sense a solution at the edge of my consciousness...

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2017, 12:00:12 am »
I am excited to start in on the next element of this.  Plans are in the works for a magic token (name TBD).  This will be a token which will launch a random game within a predefined list.  I think I just have to create an array of the games and then select randomly from within.

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2017, 12:53:25 am »
Test run looks good!  I'm thinking of random genre sets of special tokens based on BadMouth's "All Killer" sets.   http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149708.0.html    It's going to kind of suck cutting and pasting the names in one at a time, but the lists aren't too long so it shouldn't take me all that long.  It'll be a fun way to explore  some new games or set up a challenge where the players don't know exactly what is going to come up.  I might make some mini-random 5-game ones to add to the revolving handle.

I envisioned the ebony token as a token to take me into the dark depths of the entire MAME library, but it's just too labor intensive and probably not very desirable anyway with all the slots and other ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- that doesn't even work.   :dunno

They key will be something like this:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:56:31 am by JudgeRob »

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2017, 12:21:48 am »
Stooooked!  Got random tokens working for Badmouth's "Classics" and "Sports" sets.  It's not as labor intensive as I thought it would be to enter in each name.  Mostly because the lists aren't really too long.  I've had a lot of fun popping in one of the randomized tokens and seeing what comes up. 

Even better, by going through the process of creating the arrays of games, I had to come up with a more feasible way to execute the launch sequence.  For the regular tokens, I had a separate .bat file to launch each one.  I can't even remember why I did it that way, but it was a PITA to make a file for each game.  Well... I ditched that crappy method and did away with the .bat files altogether.  Not only is it a ten times easier to add a game now, it also completely does away with the cmd prompts that used to pop up on the splash screen as it switched games.  Now you just see the splash screen!  Stoked!   :laugh:

Next up SHMUPS!

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2017, 10:16:37 pm »
I've been playing around with dressing up the tokens a bit.  I've been trying to get them to resemble something other than white plastic wafers or something you would put on someone's tongue in church.   :D

Here's the first one.  I weathered it a little to make it more interesting.  The numbers are obviously backward so I'll have to fix that.  If you can't tell, the imprint is two crossed pistols.  I'll probably assign it to be a random game from the "RUN 'N GUN" category.

Peace and have a great week!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2017, 11:19:53 pm »
Yeah, but can you play Galaga?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2017, 04:41:45 pm »
Lol, ain't that the truth?  I know a lady that screams "Galaga???!?" every time the subject of an arcade comes up.  I had a friend over the other day say "WOOOW, I didn't know that thing could play Dig-Dug!"

Now that you mention it, I think I'll make a tricked out Galaga token and dangle it from a string off the marquee.  :D

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: April 17, 2018, 10:52:06 pm »
Finally found a token display solution that I like.  Makes it super easy to view, grab and replace them.  Plexi square with some slots cut into it. Did some test runs with some mini saw blades I found on Amazon.  I did a lot of trial and error.  It was hard to come up with a process to cut little angled notches into the plexi.  Especially without a table saw.  I thought cutting a groove straight across would work, but I have no table saw and I thought individual cut-outs would look better too.  Doing it by hand was...  well, you can imagine!  So I came up with this, where I angled the drill press bed and then just swung the entire bed back and forth.  Not super precise, but good enough.

Blades were a little too thin so I jammed a piece of plastic in the collar to make it wobble a little and cut a wider slot. 

Here's the results:

I'm up in the air about how to frame it out.  In the above, I tried some L corner pieces, but I'm not hot on the look.  Makes it look like a tray.  For some reason I feel like it needs some kind of frame out, but I can't decide how or if I should paint it, etc.  I kind of like it sans frame like this:

I like it all clear.  But... I kind of need something across the front to hold the LED strip in place.   :dunno

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:15:03 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2018, 08:51:31 am »
I would try using 4 l-shaped pieces of aluminum to make a sort of flat frame. Cut off the upper corners at a 45 degree angle, use the lower parts to press the led tape against the plexi and doubletape the upper parts to the top of the plexi.

Other than aluminum, you could use thin metal/plastic and spraypaint it (either the color the leds give off or the color of the shelf the thing sits on).

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2018, 12:53:44 pm »
I've got some aluminum, but without any bare metal on the cabinet, it wouldn't really match the style (although it would look cool riveted into the plexi).  I've got some metallic red spray paint.  Maybe I'll give that a test run...

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2018, 12:07:20 am »
I decided to go with no borders at all.  Sort of.  I found some copper tape in one of my drawers which happened to be the exact same width as the thickness of the plexi.  Since I needed a way to run power from the LED strip in the front to the back, it seemed like a perfect marriage!  The LED strip has a copper like back to it anyway, so it sort of matches.  It also gives it a pretty clean look and sharp corners. 

From there, I just soldered the + around one way and the - around the other.

And then a little piggy tail wire in off the back side:

I was stressing (unnecessarily) over the shelving to put the little display on (glass, metal...) .  Then I remembered I had some extra T-molding left over from the cab and figured I would just make a little shelf out of the same ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. 

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2018, 12:15:40 am »
Here it is next to the cab:

Sadly, I am not too fond of the red LEDs for the token display.  I might swap it for white....  :(
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 12:19:10 am by JudgeRob »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2018, 09:15:27 am »
2 questions.

What if you have a guest that wants to  play a game you don't have a token for. Is there a "manual selector" or do you have to make a token to load the game.

Did you make a "Random" token yet?
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2018, 10:07:59 am »
I had not seen this thread until today - very nice work!!
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2018, 12:40:12 pm »
Thanks Perkins

What if you have a guest that wants to  play a game you don't have a token for. Is there a "manual selector" or do you have to make a token to load the game.

Making new tokens is not necessarily difficult, but it still does take a few minutes.  Mostly finding the ROM name to assign to the RFID takes the most time.  I have the Rotating Handle of 20 which works well if have a certain game we are really into that month but not a permanent favorite.  If it is a situation where a guest requests a specific game outside of the token library, I can back out of the token front end and get into Hyperspin with a couple button presses.  It's the only way to tackle the entire arcade library.

Did you make a "Random" token yet?

A few.  The question on these is the scope.  I'm probably not going to do a true random of every game in the system.  I do have some random genre ones done.  So far I have SHMUPS, Run N Gun, Classics, Sports and I also have one that randomly selects from the token bank.  I'm planning for a few more genres and then a Random of All Random token.  That will be the closest to a universal random token, pulling from a few hundred games.  Finishing these random tokens is something I need to finish off once the display is finished.  I like them; it's pretty fun having a surprise pop up that you wouldn't normally seek out to intentionally play.