Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ponyo "fight stick"  (Read 4311 times)

eds1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:43:03 am
  • Rock and Roll!
Ponyo "fight stick"
« on: October 18, 2018, 11:43:08 pm »
Hey everyone. I've been away. My life is not going well. Here's the short version! http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158021.0.html

I'm afraid of power tools since the left side of my body is crippled and clumsy. But I have a dear friend who has a birthday coming up. We dated in our teen years, and it was short. We stayed good friends, until my mental illness infused rage tore us apart. I reached out for help understanding depression during my divorce, and she stopped ignoring me and helped me try to understand.  When we get together, we fire up some emulators and play stupid games. Neither of us are religious but we play this one NES title BIBLE BUFFET. It's awful, don't bother. But it's "our game" and that's what we do. So I decided to make her a fight stick that is USB friendly, so that we can play it and other emulated console games. The theme is Ponyo, a Studio Ghibli movie that means a lot to us.

So I don't have a lot of progress done, but I managed to make a base. It's 3 45 degree pieces of 1x3, and one 1x4 at the back to give it an angle when on a table. The guts are going to be a happ competition I had laying around, and some blue and green comp buttons. All the guts are going into a zero delay encoder I have a pair of, and the top art is likely going to be a picture of the hill the characters in the film live on. I have a toy bucket with the ponyo fish inside that will also be mounted on top.

Art, might make a few tweaks - mostly to the famous kiss. It's style doesn't match the rest so I'll look for a different image to sub in:

Box and panel:

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: Ponyo "fight stick"
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 01:46:52 pm »
Wrapped it up already. I spent a lot longer on it than I should have considering how small and easy a project it is. The power tools are scary and gave me a lot of grief. The biggest pain though was I went to use my router, a big old Makita that is awesome. I got the bit all set up and... nothing. It's not getting power to the motor and I bet it's just a wire inside. I went out that day and picked up a Mastercraft Maximum (Canadian brand) one that was on sale for $99 from $279. It's got both fixed and plunge bases and the fine adjustments are much easier than my Makita. Plus it spins up to speed slowly instead of full on. I like it a lot. I'm going to fix the Makita anyways.

I got the art printed at Staples. They said it was as wide as they can print. They lied. It was as wide as the paper they can print on, and shrunk the image to fit because it doesn't print to the edge. I then got it printed at a company called ArcPrint. They did a great job.

I put a screw up through the MDF and acrylic into the bottom of the Ponyo bucket for a decoration.

Neat wiring job thanks to the zero delay encoder package. For a single joystick these are great. I had it laying around and was $7CAD but now I see them for $4 on ebay. As you can see there wasn't room to put the nuts on the start/select/7/8 buttons. They got a splooge of hot glue. In reality I doubt the 7 or 8 will get used much, and the start and select are also seldom used. The hot glue is probably fine. My Spinal Tap cabinet has very few nuts on the buttons due to the metal control panel damaging the threads of the buttons and it's never been an issue.

The bottom is a piece of 1/8 hardboard. I dropped 4 screws into it to hold in place and added two rubber feet along the front and 2 on the back.

Here it is finished. I was a little shaky with the router and the t-molding slot is a little wide in one area. I filled it with hot glue. I have been playing guitar for 25+ years and have invincible callouses on my left hand fingers. I tried shaping the hot glue with my right hand and burnt it. D'oh.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 02:05:29 pm »
looks great!

I watched that with my wife, and had no idea it was supposed to be a take on the little mermaid. Are you going to make a matching "Howls moving castle" for yourself? :p
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 02:13:44 pm »
Ha! Maybe. I am currently looking to get into a house that isn't a rental but there's some nonsense going on leftover from my divorce that is affecting my ability to move on with my life. I currently don't have anywhere to set up tools and build that isn't a huge hassle and my physical limitations are a bother. Perhaps once I have somewhere to work that isn't such a hassle to set up I will, but for now I'm happy just planning out some projects to do in the future.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 02:21:37 pm »
That looks good. I am glad to see that you are engaging in projects.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 02:32:13 pm »
I am glad to see that you are engaging in projects.

Hey thanks. It's been a rough go for me. I'm always doing SOMETHING neat, but of course not everything falls into being relevant to this site. Some friends of mine got married recently and I have a feeling they'll be asking me for help building an arcade machine for their new home. So perhaps in the spring I'll have another big project to work on.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 03:07:59 pm »
Nice work, No idea wtf Ponyo is but its a cool design.

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 06:13:38 am »
Nice and clean. Great job!

:cheers:

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 09:59:25 am »
I got the art printed at Staples. They said it was as wide as they can print. They lied. It was as wide as the paper they can print on, and shrunk the image to fit because it doesn't print to the edge. I then got it printed at a company called ArcPrint. They did a great job.

Hahaha... yeah.  I've had several of those, "DO NOT RESIZE THE IMAGE, IT IS SET TO THE EXACT DIMENSIONS OF YOUR PAPER" and then you wait an hour and they go, "yeah, so I cropped the edges and made it a little smaller" or, "it was a rectangle so I changed it to a square" or whatever experiences.  Making me real gun-shy about ordering my backglass print online...

Stick looks nice.  Good job.

:cheers:

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 02:34:07 pm »
Nice work, No idea wtf Ponyo is but its a cool design.

If you don't know Ponyo, then I assume you aren't familiar with any of the Studio Ghibli stuff.
Watch Spirited Away. 

It was meant for 10 year old Japanese girls, but is very deep.  ;D
It's one of those movies you can rewatch every few years and pick up on different symbolism or interpretations you hadn't thought of before.

I have a painting of Totoro in my bathroom.  :D
(the bathroom has a forest feel, so it seemed right)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 03:09:32 pm »
Nope never heard of that either :p

Dont really watch much Anime stuff.
And the stuff I do watch tends to be the dark stuff.
I like things like Death Note.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 04:41:39 pm »

so grave of the fireflies then.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 04:45:25 pm »

so grave of the fireflies then.

Not seen that one but looks interesting might check that out :)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 05:57:19 pm »
Actually, Ponyo is kinda dark too. It's basically a darker, Japanese version of The Little Mermaid.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 11:39:39 am »
Nice project! Turned out great!

I'm a fan of all the Miyazaki films (in particular Totoro, Ponyo, and Spirited away.)

If you look at some of his early early films from the 70's you can see some of his modern film characters are influenced by some of this early work. it's a neat progression to see if you have a collection of all his works.