Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Atari Vault on Steam  (Read 14288 times)

Phreakwars

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:52:39 pm
  • Waka-Waka
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146325.0.html
    • My Facebook Page
Atari Vault on Steam
« on: January 22, 2016, 05:24:00 pm »
Atari will release 100 of its classic games in a single package for Steam, called Atari Vault, this spring, it said today. So far, it promises to include Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, Tempest, and Warlords in the package, with online multiplayer and Steam leaderboard support.

In addition, Atari’s press release promises “precision control” via the Steam Controller, which could be quite appealing if done correctly. Many classic Atari games like Centipede originally used a trackball controller, which few PC users today have access to. But the Steam Controller’s unique touch pads can mimic the feel of a trackball quite well, so they could be excellent for playing these classics.

Atari did not say which versions of the games (arcade? home? remakes?) would be included in Atari Vault, but it will show the game off at PAX South later this month in San Antonio.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Atari Vault on Steam
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 03:31:48 pm »
Hopefully they don't do these like they did the Pac Man Museum release - with a hard set resolution and extra large bezel artwork around the game screen so that when playing on a 4:3 monitor over half the monitor was wasted space !!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 12:09:40 am »
Honestly, I'm not super optimistic about this one.  Remember that Atari isn't really Atari anymore.  The last time they "re-released" some of their games they were actually cruddy flash ports.  Here's hoping they get it right this time. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 01:10:02 pm »
Hopefully they don't do these like they did the Pac Man Museum release - with a hard set resolution and extra large bezel artwork around the game screen so that when playing on a 4:3 monitor over half the monitor was wasted space !!

I'd be willing to be this is how they do it.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 03:39:12 pm »
I'm thinking since it's the 2600 games, they will run in a 4:3 ratio in a 16:9 window with extra stuff on the sides you can optionally hide or stretch. That would make the most sense.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 11:08:27 am »
I'm thinking since it's the 2600 games, they will run in a 4:3 ratio in a 16:9 window with extra stuff on the sides you can optionally hide or stretch. That would make the most sense.

IT would make the most sense but they don't always do the sensible thing !!! For example the Pac Man Museum release on Steam is locked to 16:9 format and no stretch or hide on 4:3 monitors so as shown in the screen below on my 21.3" monitor out of the 17" x 13" screen space I get an actual game screen of 6" x 8" and wasted screen space of 11" x 5" !! (pic shown in Photoshop with rulers and guide lines to show actual dimensions in inches)

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 07:33:14 am »
A little of topic, but did anyone notice the mobile humble bundle has a bunch of PAC on it?

Phreakwars

• Offline Offline
  • Waka-Waka
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 02:22:57 am »
No Donkey Kong, no Pac-Man, no Q-Bert, and many other awesome 2600 titles missing... NO THANKS.