Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RGB NES?  (Read 2984 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
RGB NES?
« on: January 21, 2016, 07:11:40 pm »
This should be legal because the patent for the NES/famicom expired in 2005. 

There is a company making a full RGB nes

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/DIY-8-Bit-2-NEW-8-BIT-machine-Outputs-VGA-RGB-S-VIDEO-AV-With-scanlines/138988_32583513153.html

They also make an add-on kit, but I'm unsure if it's for the famicom or the nes.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/AV-Module-for-your-8-Bit-system-89-91-version/138988_32585712677.html

I'm trying to find info on these so any help would be appreciated.  Yeah 150 bucks for a famiclone is kind of steep, but it has built in rgb and s-video as well as a scan line generator and a line doubler so it can work on modern monitors.  At that point it's fairly reasonable. 

The 30 dollar add-on kit is more than reasonable in price, but again, it's unclear if it's for the famicom, the nes, or both.  It's also unclear exactly what you have to do to install it. 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:55:20 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: RGB NES?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 02:32:34 pm »
interesting. the UA6527 is the IC that acts like a CPU in many famiclones so it's no surprise it's on that board....but that Altera Cyclone FPGA??? ... it looks like it's doing some pretty heavy lifting here. I wonder why they didn't just do it all in the cyclone? I'm sure it's more than capable enough.

anyways... the 6527 i known for being incorrect in it's sound. some issue with the sound byte ports being mapped wrong.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 03:18:05 pm »
Well that was my initial impression of it as well....... mis-matched parts cobbled together, but I'm not very familiar with the NES innards so I wasn't sure one way or another. 

I'm just interested in the fact that after all these years it's difficult or costly (or both) to make a nes from scratch.  I know the PPU's were proprietary, but I thought everything else on the console was off-the-shelf parts.  Surely since the NES is fully emulated someone could make a PPU alternative that doesn't cost a fortune. 

I don't count NOAC's btw....  they are about as accurate as those atgames genesis systems. 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:55:20 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 04:20:16 pm »
the NES is a pretty simple machine to begin with.

Basically the core is a CPU, some 74 series logic to handle the ROM interface and a PPU handles the memory IO. that is about it.

there is a pile of schematics here: http://atariusa.com/Famicom_Schematics/

should you feel so inclined to compare  :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 02:00:34 am »
I'm a novice at the hardware end of things so I only understood about half of those schematics but it was an interesting read.  Ideally it'd be cool to see a clone that uses all the original chips (or modern equivelents) except for the ppu, which could be a fpga that simulates either the nes av ppu, or the playchoice one with an adjusted palette. 

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 07:56:06 am »
Have you heard of this guys website?

http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php

the NES RGB kit is a little expensive, but it's pretty easy to install and the results are awesome. His SCART to Jamma adapter is also worth picking up.
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.