Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need router advice on Bartop Arcade build  (Read 2950 times)

bluelight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2016, 11:01:57 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Need router advice on Bartop Arcade build
« on: January 19, 2016, 12:34:58 pm »
Hey guys!

I'm new here and this is my first post of many I am sure to come. I am building a bartop arcade out of 1/2 inch MDF and am almost done cutting my pieces. I have my side pieces already cut and am sanding edges right now. I plan to install t-molding on them and had a question about using a router on the edges. Still need to buy a router and decided based on other peoples posts that using a router attachment with my dremel would not be a good choice to avoid buying a router.

I will need a router for the slot for the t molding but I was thinking this whole time I will also need to use a roundover bit to round out the edges a little. Now I am wondering if that is something that most people even do or not. I assume the T-molding goes from inside edge to outside edge of the MDF so would you even notice if the edges of the MDF were slightly rounded and would rounding them cause issues with the t-molding?

I am not sure what most people do as far as the roundover part of this so would like some advice on it. If a roundover bit is needed, I assume it couldn't be much of one... maybe 1/8 inch depth? If that is the case would it make more sense to just run some 120 or 220 grit sand paper over the edges to just smooth them a little?

Thanks all :)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Need router advice on Bartop Arcade build
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 01:15:43 pm »
Welcome aboard, Bluelight.   ;D

The T-molding provides the rounding.

You don't need or want to use a roundover/chamfer bit unless you add plexi on the CP and use an offset slot that leaves an exposed edge.

Scott

bluelight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 01:23:25 pm »
Ok great! That makes a lot of sense. Any recommendations on where to buy the t-molding?

I figured home depot or lowes would have it but when I looked this morning they didn't so I am guessing I will need to find it online. The only place I found so far is a website called gameroomguys but not sure what is a popular choice among builders. :D

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 01:25:35 pm »
T-molding.com

They also sell the slot cutters and arbors that you will need as well.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 01:27:45 pm »
Lots of arcade vendors carry t-molding.

http://www.t-molding.com/

http://groovygamegear.com/

. . . and many more.

Scott

EDIT: Also free samples at http://www.t-molding.com/free-sample.html.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:31:30 pm by PL1 »

bluelight

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 01:43:35 pm »
Thanks guys! I just wanted to ensure I picked a company that is popular among the other builders here.  :cheers: