Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mala layout problems  (Read 4297 times)

Duhjoker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2016, 08:03:00 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Mala layout problems
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:08:25 pm »
  I've been playing around with mala for a couple weeks now it seems, and I'm really liking the ease of use but I'm having trouble with getting a layout per emu set up. I've been reading the tutorials and have tried several different things but nothing works.

When I open the mala config window and choose GUI I point the path to the folder with the layouts in it. I have tried a few different ways to make the folders including.............

One folder named layouts with the .mll file in and the artwork

One folder named layouts with the .mll files in it and the artwork in a folder named after the layout.

One folder named layouts with every thing files named after the emu

One folder named layouts with everything named after the emu and subfolders and artwork in them all named after the emu.

If try to use the auto layout switches the layout list goes grey. If go ahead and press ok and leave the menu the screen goes black but the lists show up in the place they are supposed to be.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also is here a way to add snaps to the games in the games list when using mala tree?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:

Just downloaded installed and configured both the previous version to 1.7.4 and the beta 1.8 still no luck

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:31:20 am by Duhjoker »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 08:21:52 pm
Re: Mala layout problems
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:24:02 am »
If try to use the auto layout switches the layout list goes grey. If go ahead and press ok and leave the menu the screen goes black but the lists show up in the place they are supposed to be.

For the umpteenth time, the list supposed to go grey if using either of the auto-switching options because you're not selecting a layout.
Mala is automatically selecting which layout to use based on either the emulator name or gamelist name.

I have a folder named "Layout".  The path to the layout files in mala is set to my "Layout" folder.
In that folder are ALL the .mll files which have the exact name which I gave the emulator when I added it to mala under "other emus"
Also in that folder there is one folder for each of the .mll files.  The folder has the exact same name as the .mll file, but the mll file is not inside the folder.
What goes in those folders is the background artwork which also has the exact name of the .mll files
EVERYTHING needs to have the same exact name as the name you gave the emulator when you set it up.

My old Mala setup switched based on emulator and all of this worked perfectly fine.
My new Mala setup switches based on gamelist and it works perfectly fine.

If the gamelist is showing up, but the background is not then your background image might not be formatted properly (if you made it yourself).
IIRC if it's a PNG, it needs to be 24 bit depth, but most artwork programs default to 32-bit.
Search the mala subforum for more info.

Duhjoker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 05:13:52 pm »
Ummmmmm i think we are in the mala subforum.

Sorry didnt mean to upset you but nothing is working. I can choose one layout at a time for all my emus and the backgrounds show up. If i check the emulator box or anything else then exit i get nothing but black screen for each emu layout.

I now have five or six layout folders with my layouts in them, each done in a different way but they just dont work together unless you the mala tree but then no game snaps appear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok hold up. You said.....

EVERYTHING needs to have the same exact name as the name you gave the emulator when you set it up.

So when i set up my other emus in config, the names im giving for example if named an emu SNES for super nintendo then the layout files need to be called snes too?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 05:21:50 pm by Duhjoker »

Duhjoker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 07:45:00 pm »
Ok took the time and made another folder with subfolders named after the emulator name I typed in when setting up the emu, with artwork with in them named after the name I named the emu. The .mll file is named after the name I gave the emu. The artwork and layouts were downloaded straight from Mala layouts. They all work in the mala tree and they all work of I choose them one at a time. I've clicked all possible combinations with in that menu.

Still goes black.

Duhjoker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 03:54:08 am »
    Ok Mala tree is soooooo much easier and easier to control. I have a main menu layout and different layout for each emulator. And now almost every game has a snap. Guess i can use the mala screenshot hot key to fill in the rest. But it looks nice and almost proffessional.

I think i need to edit the layouts the lists and screen shots, the lists and screens are off. I looked at a couple already using the editor and everything looks right. I guess ill have to experiment.

I dont suppose anybody would have the command line that i can type into the mala CL that will allow psxfin to open up in full screen? Could you share?

I know its something -f. I tried the front end for the emu but nothing happens when i check the switches.

Duhjoker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 12:54:32 am »
When in front end mode on a list of i choose to remove from the list stuff like the bios, it just deletes from the showing list right. Is it gonna effect my game play?

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 06:17:02 am »
Anything you delete from a MaLa list is just removed from that list - no actual ROM files get deleted.