Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Simpsons Restoration  (Read 7336 times)

Cobolisdead

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
Simpsons Restoration
« on: January 15, 2016, 11:18:33 am »
So, about a month ago I won(rather bought) a Simpsons arcade machine off of Ebay, and it is going to need a little bit of work. The CPO is just not there at all, the side has a few damaged corners that need to be fix. The side art is peeling off, the marque is peeling off the plexiglass, and it is having some minor graphical issues. This cabinet definitely needs some love.

I took yesterday off to go get this machine. For anyone wondering, No, a Konami 4 player cabinet will not fit into the back of a Prius V. It is about an inch too wide and an inch too deep to fit through the back hatch. So I had to rent a truck and drive it 100 miles back to my house and another 100 back to the rental place. The smallest truck that they had was a 15' truck that felt like I was driving a small semi. That was fun driving on the interstate, as well as backing up hill on my driveway. So I spent all day and night taking care of that, but now the cabinet is in my garage. I will post some pics soon, but they are all on my ipad at the house right now. So instead, I will post some of the pics from the auction.

Initial thoughts.

The side of the cabinet isn't as bad in person. Sure the bottom right side is messed up, but overall, it looks a lot better than I was expecting.

Also, this is the heaviest arcade machine I have moved to date. I almost lost control moving it down the truck's ramp when I got home. Fortunately my body weight stopped it from ramming into the fence.

The Control panel is very very rough. The front left corner needs a lot of work and the box itself is going to need some work too.

The Coin doors look decent but player 1's Mech looks damaged. I will also need to get new locks for this machine as they are missing. Also missing is the back panel and a couple of the leg levelers.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
Re: Simpsons Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 11:23:08 am »
Another restored thread? YES!

A Simpsons restore? YES!

Good opening pictures and description? YES!

You the Man Cobolisdead!  :cheers:
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:29:09 am »
for that side you just cut the damaged part away in a straight line, cut a piece of wood the same side, screw it in black, bondo over the seam. You might can get away with using wood hardener and fiberglass bondo if youre afraid of the wood work, but I cant say how great the results should be.

back door is just cutting a piece of plywood to size, so that's no big deal. And leg levelers? remove what ever is there and get 4 new ones.   My TMNT restore is practically the same cab (except the speaker cut out) so theres a ton of pix there for you to look at.

Im excited to see how this turns out!

I know KLOV suggested using rikitiki, but I'd hit up stpcore for the art first, you can probably get it cheaper from him.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 02:56:10 pm »
Another restored thread? YES!

A Simpsons restore? YES!

Good opening pictures and description? YES!

You the Man Cobolisdead!  :cheers:

Thanks! I have been wanting one of the Konami 4 player games a for a while now! Here's hoping that this one goes well! One day I like to get a TMNT and an X-Men as well.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 03:27:31 pm »
for that side you just cut the damaged part away in a straight line, cut a piece of wood the same side, screw it in black, bondo over the seam. You might can get away with using wood hardener and fiberglass bondo if youre afraid of the wood work, but I cant say how great the results should be.

I am actually looking forward to doing some cabinet work on this restore.  I haven't ever done it before, but that is the fun thing about each restore I do, I get to try something new!

back door is just cutting a piece of plywood to size, so that's no big deal. And leg levelers? remove what ever is there and get 4 new ones.   My TMNT restore is practically the same cab (except the speaker cut out) so theres a ton of pix there for you to look at.

Good idea about the Leg levelers! Might as well just get 4 new ones. Any idea on the back panel size? And your TMNT thread is awesome! Did you ever sell that machine or do you still have it?

Im excited to see how this turns out!

Thanks! I am pretty stoked to get it and get it started!

I know KLOV suggested using rikitiki, but I'd hit up stpcore for the art first, you can probably get it cheaper from him.

I will check with them then. So far everyone wants around $200 for the side art alone!

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 05:32:17 pm »
There's a guy local on the board here, Lucian.  He does great artwork and has a great rep.  He can do the sides, CP, and even marquee.  Here's his thread.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134866.0.html

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 11:20:50 am »
There's a guy local on the board here, Lucian.  He does great artwork and has a great rep.  He can do the sides, CP, and even marquee.  Here's his thread.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134866.0.html
Cool. I sent him an email about a quote.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 12:18:20 am »
Okay. I got the cab reassembled and plugged in. Turns out the monitor is scrolling horizontally now. So I am going to order a cap kit for it as well as play with the pots some to see if I can get it to act right.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 12:03:46 am »
So what kind of sand paper do I need for sanding bondo?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 07:35:37 am »
So what kind of sand paper do I need for sanding bondo?

I use a random orbital sander, I start with 60 grit till I'm working on my finish coat, then I hit that with 100 then 220. Then the painting begins!

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 10:02:21 am »
Awesome! I will pick those up o the way home tonight. I have already picked up the big tub of Bondo, and I have an orbital sander at home, so I should be good to start the bodywork on this cabinet this weekend.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 01:34:47 pm »
So I got some sand paper last night but with the snow last night(In Alabama of all places) the garage is only 51 degrees. I might be able to get it up to 60 degrees by the afternoon, but will that be too cold to work with the bondo?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 02:27:00 pm »
So I got some sand paper last night but with the snow last night(In Alabama of all places) the garage is only 51 degrees. I might be able to get it up to 60 degrees by the afternoon, but will that be too cold to work with the bondo?

it could work, but you should wait till its closer to 70 in there. No point in risking it.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 05:08:33 pm »
Pity. It looks like 60 degrees is as about as warm as it is going to get in there, so I guess I will just have to try to strip the control panel today.

Here is  a question for you, since you have a lot more experience doing this. How exactly do I join the new side piece to the cabinet once I cut out the old part of it? Just attach it to the frame and then bondo the seam?

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 05:28:07 pm »
Pity. It looks like 60 degrees is as about as warm as it is going to get in there, so I guess I will just have to try to strip the control panel today.

Here is  a question for you, since you have a lot more experience doing this. How exactly do I join the new side piece to the cabinet once I cut out the old part of it? Just attach it to the frame and then bondo the seam?

thats the gist of it. I sometimes put another piece of wood along the inside along the back of the seam and screw the old and new into that board, counter sunk of course . Then bondo the seam and take your time to make it nice as smoooooooooth.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 09:08:47 am »

thats the gist of it. I sometimes put another piece of wood along the inside along the back of the seam and screw the old and new into that board, counter sunk of course . Then bondo the seam and take your time to make it nice as smoooooooooth.

Cool! I am actually looking forward to doing this on this project. Well, aside form stripping the sideart, I am looking forward to working on this. I am thinking that I probably should replace the bottom piece as it seems that it might have had some water damage before. What do you think?

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 09:10:04 am »

it could work, but you should wait till its closer to 70 in there. No point in risking it.

It should be in the 60's today and tomorrow, so I am hopeful that with the heater I can get it to 70 in the garage. I can't wait to start working on this restore!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 09:29:37 am »
if the base is structurally sound, then I wouldnt bother replacing it.  If its fuct like my Galaga one, then make a new one. hope you dont mind the thread jack for pix, thought they might help.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 10:55:30 pm »
So, is there a trick to getting these joysticks out? I pulled the pin, and even removed the leaf springs to see if anything inside of there was holding it in place. Still I can't get these things to budge! Anyone have any ideas?

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 09:27:09 am »
So, looking at the new Wicos, it seems that the metal part of the grommet is stuck to the joysticks. Any recommendations on how to fix that?

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 09:28:29 am »
if the base is structurally sound, then I wouldnt bother replacing it.  If its fuct like my Galaga one, then make a new one. hope you dont mind the thread jack for pix, thought they might help.

Well, I don't think that my base is damaged that much, but I haven't checked it that thoroughly yet.  Thanks for the pics though, as that gives me a good notion on what to do to replace mine.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 02:12:19 pm »
Any recommendations for where I can get new joysticks in the right colors for this?

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 02:48:13 pm »
Hit up Joe Szabo at Szabo's Arcades.  He does GREAT printing work and he recently re-did the artwork on his Simpson's cab.

Here's his Youtube video:

Tell him I sent you...  Great guy!

Jason
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 03:35:15 pm »
Yeah, I already talked to him about the artwork. Really everyone wants the same $240 - $300 for the Side art and CPO no matter where you look.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2016, 08:44:30 am »
So I tried a Trumpet Mouthpiece Puller last night to try to remove the joysticks from their grommets but it wouldn't fit. I ended up breaking another grommet trying to get one out. These things are really stuck in there. 

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 07:14:56 pm »
Okay,  I got some help o this. I sprayed WD40 rust remover on the two remaining joysticks, and had my wife hit them with a hammer while I twisted them on the other side. I managed to get those loose and then I took the heat gun and scrapper and removed all of the old junk sitting on the the wood panel. Then I attempted to bondo the Control panel and the Control Panel Box. Results were mixed to say the least, but for a first attempt, it wasn't bad.  I will try tomorrow to get a second coat on it and to sand it some.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2016, 04:02:42 pm »
I plan on getting back to the body work on this this weekend, but in the meantime, does anyone know where I cna find th artwork for the four character arrows that goes on the coin door? I have one that is in great shape but the others, not so much.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 10:00:10 am »
Here are the arrows that I have on my machine right now.

MK3FAN

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2022, 07:07:29 pm
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 05:11:17 pm »
Here's what I did on mine, and here's the file for them if you want to use them...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/njz9xdl626pnncc/Simpsons+control.zip

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 05:17:42 pm by MK3FAN »
Current collection - 28 cabs, 4 pins. (32 machines and not enough room)

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 08:04:24 pm »
That looks awesome! Thanks! :cheers:

MK3FAN

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2022, 07:07:29 pm
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 10:33:48 pm »
That looks awesome! Thanks! :cheers:

You're welcome!
Current collection - 28 cabs, 4 pins. (32 machines and not enough room)

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2016, 10:47:16 am »
Any tips for stripping the side artwork? I am going to try that this weekend.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2016, 11:03:04 am »
Any tips for stripping the side artwork? I am going to try that this weekend.

Heat gun on low with a scraper. Also might want to pick up a snickers bar cuz you ain't going anywhere for a while.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

jtslade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2023, 11:34:45 am
  • Keep it looking originallish!
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2016, 11:55:46 am »
God bless the guy who keeps his Simpsons original. Love the restore, love the stickers love it all..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ms. Pacman Original Cocktail with Non destructive mod to Groovy Arcade Linux with All 4way Vertical Cocktail capable 2 button or less games.

Neo Geo MVS Mame Cab Running Hyperspin, 25" Nanao Arcade Monitor, Mini-pac, ATI Radeon HD 4850 (ATOM-15), IL 8 Way Euro-Sticks from Paradise Arcade, Win XP 64bit, and tons of other junk.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2016, 11:58:03 am »
God bless the guy who keeps his Simpsons original.

+1, Not only is it a cool arcade game, the Simpsons is an iconic piece of pop culture.

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2016, 09:40:23 am »
Ok, the wife is out of town tonight, and  have some time to work on this. What I need to order right now is some new joystick shaft with the right color ball toppers to go in this. I am doubting that I will be able to salvage the original shafts and the balltops. Anyone have any suggestions?

danielm7999

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2017, 02:01:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Daniel Mercer Art
- Daniel Mercer Art

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2016, 03:52:26 pm »
I need to get motivated and get back to work on this project!

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2016, 03:59:21 pm »
I need to get motivated and get back to work on this project!

Does this this help?

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2016, 09:13:12 am »
Wow. How does one even play that?