Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: gamecube controllers. what are my choices for new ones?  (Read 1945 times)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:40:07 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
gamecube controllers. what are my choices for new ones?
« on: May 15, 2023, 07:10:55 am »

I don't know much about the Switch, am I right in understanding the GC controller was re-released so people could play super smash brothers on the Switch with it? And that it still suited the original GC? If so, what am I looking for exactly? There seems to be a billion controllers out there...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: gamecube controllers. what are my choices for new ones?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 08:59:14 pm »
my kid has one.
i'll ask him when he comes over for the weekend.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:30:48 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 06:33:14 am »
I don't own a Switch, but I did used to own a GameCube. The GameCube pads had a rounded proprietary connector that plugged into the console and as far as I can see the Switch pads are a standard USB A connector. It looks like you need an adapter to get the original GameCube pads working on Switch. It sounds like the controllers re-released for Switch Smash Bros have a standard USB A connector, so they wouldn't work on a regular GameCube (unless there's some kind of USB to GC connector gizmo you can buy)

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 12:22:10 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 10:08:08 am »
I have a Smash branded GC controller. It came in an official Nintendo Switch branded box, has the Smash logo in the middle and it has the standard GC connector as well as an extra long cable. Otherwise, it's functionally identical to the original controllers I have. You do need a 4 player adaptor with 2 usb connectors to use regular GC controllers on the switch.

The annoying part is that the weird GC A button position (central, instead of on the right edge) means that a person who plays Smash with the standard Switch controllers won't have an easy time using the GC controllers and vice versa. In my experience, most younger players I've encountered seem to dislike the GC controllers for that reason. I wouldn't invest in GC controllers unless you're certain that they'll be used. Non-pro players probably aren't going to be able to do all that wave dashing and other advanced techniques anyway.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 06:46:58 pm »
I didn't make it clear in my original post, but what I'm looking for is NIB GC controllers to use on my GameCube 🙂

I've used aftermarket ones and they are bad, and it seems that maybe maybe the best source for new is those re-released for the Switch, provided they still used the GC plug.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 11:43:57 am »
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Controller-Super-Smash-Bros-switch/dp/B07HC2F97Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=9ZT41M6OAAVD&keywords=gamecube+controller&qid=1684510493&sprefix=gamecube+controller%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

That's the one that I got a couple of years ago with US packaging. It's great, 99% as good as original. You'll need the adapter, but that should be less than 20 dollars. If you have a local reseller shop, you might be able to find a good quality original controller. The only problem I've ever had with them is the rubber joystick covers getting worn smooth. I'm not sure what used prices are like, though. Gamecube stuff is getting crazy.

My kids still prefer the Switch Pro controllers over the "old" GC original.  :lol

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 10:38:07 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Controller-Super-Smash-Bros-switch/dp/B07HC2F97Q/ref=sr_1_3?crid=9ZT41M6OAAVD&keywords=gamecube+controller&qid=1684510493&sprefix=gamecube+controller%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

That's the one that I got a couple of years ago with US packaging. It's great, 99% as good as original. You'll need the adapter, but that should be less than 20 dollars. If you have a local reseller shop, you might be able to find a good quality original controller. The only problem I've ever had with them is the rubber joystick covers getting worn smooth. I'm not sure what used prices are like, though. Gamecube stuff is getting crazy.

My kids still prefer the Switch Pro controllers over the "old" GC original.  :lol

So to use this controller on a GameCube, I'll need an adaptor?

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 07:26:06 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 10:03:53 am »

oh.
I missed the part about still wanting to use it on the original console.
i don't think such a beast exists.
switch is entirely wireless controllers.

i did get these for my homebrew wii.
they worked ok for us.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BS5TXBF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 01:48:35 am »

No, the linked controller works natively on a GameCube because it essentially is a GameCube controller with new packaging. You need an adapter to use it on switch.
The adapter isn't too expensive and has 4 GameCube controller ports. It's usb and also has a toggle to use it on PC or WiiU/Switch consoles. I could link the one I use if that's helpful.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2023, 08:28:11 am »
Sounds like what I'm after. Just trying to future proof my collection. I enjoy a couple of GameCube games, and have one genuine controller. The cheap aftermarket ones are pretty bad. Think I'll order one from your link 🙂

Edit: not from that link. I'm down under, the freight kills it. But now I know what to look out for. I sure wish I'd bought one or two when I first thought I saw them in EB games
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 08:36:39 am by danny_galaga »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 01:11:54 am »
I'd imagine that they're more common in Japan, but I don't know anything about shipping to Australia. Maybe Amazon Japan has something. The other option would be just going to a gaming convention or reseller shop.

Good luck with your hunt.