Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: NES/Famicom Multicarts  (Read 5115 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
NES/Famicom Multicarts
« on: January 09, 2016, 11:23:13 pm »
So some vendors are starting to get in nes multicarts and apparently they don't suck.

It used to be they only sold famicom multi carts... that you would need to buy a 30 dollar adaptor to play.  That made them so costly that it kind of defeated the purpose... you were getting in the price range where it's just cheaper to buy a flash cart.  Now they are starting to do NES versions.

Found one that has all the rock mans (mega man), all the Marios, a few rare games, Castlevania, ect...  There aren't any repeats to my knowledge... it's legitimately 150 games.  It's only 16 bucks as well.  That's 74 dollars cheaper than the cheapest nes flash cart!

There are other ones as well, 198 in 1, 400 in 1, ect. but a lot of those have repeats... the 400 in 1 counts all it's hacks (for cheat codes) as games.  If you want to just try them all I believe there is a combo set where you can buy all 4 of the ones currently available for under 60 dollars.

Some of the auctions show pics of what is inside the shells.... it's the original famicom versions with a 72 pin adaptor stuck on the end.  So free adaptor for imports... bonus!  This also means you can buy multi-carts and bootlegs of famicom games, which are often much cheaper than their nes counterparts.

There are a few issues commonly associated with these carts... some of the Nintendo games have had their title screens altered to avoid copyright, some of the games are inexplicably the EU versions, ect.... For the price though it's pretty good from what I've been told.

I'm interested in hacking these but I'm unsure where to start.  Apparently people have examined the games and even though there are repeats, the 400 in 1 legitimately has room for 400 games.  It's be nice to load proper, unmutilated roms onto a couple of these.   The chips appear to be surface mount, which makes me think they would have to be programmed after they are installed by a serial connection.  Maybe there are pins on the pcb?

So anyway I was just curious if you guys are interested in them, or if you've bought any in the past, ect.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • If you build it they will come (they never showed)
Re: NES/Famicom Multicarts
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 04:03:40 am »
I haven't tried one but that was a good read. It would be interesting if you could hack it with a programmer or something and pick which particular rom you want to load on it rather than being stuck with the pre sets. Like make it into a cart with just homebrew titles or your favorites list.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 04:47:29 am »
Yeah.  There's a bootlegs wiki on the net (not sure if I can link to it) and it goes into as much detail as possible in regards to the carts and their game lists and tech. 

I think the largest one ever made is only around 32mb, but that's a fifth of the NES library right there.  If you made a list of games that you like, I doubt it'd be much bigger than that.  What interests me is the fact that these multi-carts use solid state proms to store that games.  Not only is it much cheaper, but since that's that same type of storage real nes carts used, there isn't any of this dumping a rom from a sd card to prom nonsense.  So no waiting. 

I'm waiting for my xmas bills to come in so they can be taken care of, and then I'm going to order one and immediately rip it apart.  ;)

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 07:08:35 am »
keep us posted. I'm interested in seeing what you can find. hopefully there isn't. a lot of tiny desoldering involved. I wish it could be as simple as dumping a chip on a programmer. I don't really what goes into programming a nes game on a cart, but they get them on there somehow right?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 11:48:57 pm »
Well they are really tiny chips, but obviously they had to be programmed somehow.  I'm hoping it's post-assembly.  There's one particular 150 in 1 variant I'm really interested in.  It allows for a full-color thumbnail of each game, which if you've ever used a text only game list, REALLY helps. 

I figure even if I manage to hack one, it's going to be really crude... like having to replace games with ones of the same size, ect.  That shouldn't be an issue though because some of the larger games are already on these carts. 

I'm also curious about expanding the audio.  Like I said, these carts are famicom with an adaptor, so the extra pins can be exposed and exploited.  I know the castlevania games have the extra audio processor right on the cart and you can just tap the pin and mix it in via standard rca connectors.  I'm fairly confident in at least pulling that off. 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 12:18:18 am »
if there is a size limit like what you are talking about, where it needs to be the same size. you might be able to pull this off with dummy files. I mean that's what they do with some of the console iso when they have to be the full dvd size.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:27:16 am by thomas_surles »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 01:14:45 pm »
It shouldn't be an issue.  In general at least all nes games were the same size, until a better chip came out and then the max size was upped ect.....  The game logic doesn't care if extra bits contain garbage, or anything really. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 04:43:01 am »
Just an update/clarification.  Even though there are pics of these with a pin adaptor in place, apparently that was older versions of the multicarts with crappier gamelists.  The newest version with the rock mans most likely doesn't come with an adaptor. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 11:08:08 am »
Bust out the credit card, Howard.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 12:46:20 am »
I had to get some stuff squared away first, but I ordered one just a few min ago.  I've noticed a few of the carts have a note in their description where they will fill custom orders with custom gamelists for bulk orders.  If hacking doesn't pan out, perhaps we could get them to make a blank cart with means for us to burn our own roms?

Btw off topic, but in regards to that other stuff I had to get squared away..... if you have an amazon store card (not a visa, the store card) I suggest you cancel that pos right now. 

[rant]
I signed up for it a year ago just to get a gift card and I finally decided to use it to separate some gifts for xmas (I'm the computer guy in the family so apparently I have to order everyone elses' stuff).  I went to check the card and it wouldn't let me log in.  Well it turns out the card wasn't activated... and yet it allowed me to charge around 200 bucks on it.  So I activated it, signed in and there wasn't a way to set a payment date...... Turns out you have to link with a bank account to pay it manually and if you want to send in a check, you have to write the company by hand and send in a check.  I finally found an option to send me a statement.... it never came....They send me an email today saying that they can't send me a statement because there isn't a balance.  Not true.... if I sign in I can clearly see the balance yet for due date and amount due it says "none n/a".  There's no way to contact them either other than writing a letter....in 2016.  Turns out they are trying to get me to NOT pay the balance because it's one of those deals where it's no interest for 12 months but if you don't pay the balance in full within that 12 months you have to pay a years worth of interest at a rate of 26 percent.  So I gave up and paid the balance via a check routing number.  I'm going to cancel the card next month.  I mean maybe I'm just too dumb to understand but it seemed extremely shadie compared to my chase amazon card which I can't say enough good things about.  [/rant]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 12:48:20 am by Howard_Casto »

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 01:29:55 am »
I'd be very interested with a multi-cart at a great price with a great selection of games !

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 04:47:26 pm »
Well with any luck mine will arrive by spring.  It's the only bad thing about ordering stuff from China. 

I've been researching them online in the meantime and I think getting the manufacturers to make us a custom cart might be the best bet.  It's not that I think it's impossible to hack them, it's just those traces look awfully small in the pictures.  Maybe we could do a kickstarter or something. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 07:11:01 am »
This sounds like fun. Keep us posted.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 06:37:36 pm »
Well I've been reading up on the concept of a nes multicart and it's rather fascinating.  It might be a bit above my pay grade, I could certainly use help on a few areas, but I don't think it would be that hard to make a custom one. 

The menu itself is the hardest thing, you've basically got to make a nes game, only it's just a menu.  There are a few open source examples floating around the interwebs though. 

Basically for the games themselves you split the rom into the program rom and graphic rom and add them, in order to rather large memory chips that are big enough to hold multiple carts.  You put the graphics and logic for the menu in the first slot.  The menu will do a soft reset and boot the selected rom, which reads relative memory positions instead of absolute ones, so the game thinks it's a regular cart. 

The only issue is the memory mapper chips (MMCs).  They are proprietary Nintendo chips and while you can mimic their function via a field programmable gate array (FPGA), you are beginning to blur the line between playing the game on a real NES and simulating components.  Also most multi-carts only support games that run on one particular MMC, or similar MMCs for that very reason.    There are lots of advantages though, namely cost and load time.  A multi-cart game loads instantly.... no need to dump it from a sd onto a chip.  Sure you can't fit a full library on a multi-cart, but they are so cheap you can buy 5 for the going rate of a flash cart with a case, which allows 800+ games.  So it's about the same difference if you are going for a full set. 

I'm just spit-balling here, maybe nothing will come from it, but I'm willing to explore our options as I'm not super fond of some of these flash carts.  They get the job done mind you, but a non-graphical list is kind of archaic. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 03:56:12 pm »
So my cart finally came in.  I haven't tried it yet but I have taken it apart (yeah I'm weird, I know).  The build quality is rather impressive considering the low cost.  I inspected the board and there are some exposed traces but most of them I've already identified as those solder-point dip switches found on nes carts.... like the horizontal/vertical rom ordering dip, ect.....  I'll keep at it. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 04:04:21 pm »
Pull the potato out of your pocket and snap a few pics.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 09:23:28 pm »
I'm really bad at taking pics of pcbs, but I'll try here in a minute. 

So I tried the cart..... the first thing that becomes apparent is that I need a better upscaler.... my eyes are toast. 

The games all work fine though and the list is rather impressive.  Sure there are some oddball ones missing like the zeldas, punch out, kid Icarus and Metroid, but for the most part this is a list of all the best games on the system.  One oddity is that all of the river city ransom games are on there, by that I mean all those games that use the character sprites based on that manga.  Mind you most of them are good, but they aren't particularly popular here in the west and it takes up like 10-15 slots.  The little thumbnail system works pretty well... it looks like they allocated 4 sprites and 4 background tiles per game to make up a preview image, which is small, but it's enough in most cases.  I obviously haven't tried them all, but I tried some of the ones that would be likely to give issue.  Bayou Billy's wavy title screen still works.  The only two that I noticed having issues were oddly enough SMB 2 and SMB 3.  2 Plays it's music too fast.  I think it's the pal rom and with these carts pressing reset a few times often puts the game in pal mode.  SMB 3 doesn't have a title at the title screen.  I'm pretty sure every US household was issued a copy of smb 1-3 though, so no big deal. 

The boards look very similar to a small website that makes repro carts, so I'll throw some pics up and maybe we can figure out what is going on. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2016, 04:47:47 pm »
Well I tried for about a half an hour on a couple of cameras and I couldn't get a good pic.  I'd just scan it with my scanner, but there are sharp parts and I don't want scratches on the glass.  Anyway I'll try my best. 

The first pic is just so we are all on the same page in regards to what multicart I'm talking about.  I was actually surprised at the quality of the shell.  Aside from the red color it's identical to the official nes ones.  It even has the benzene warning on the back. 

The next two pics are the front and back respectively.  As you can see there are many contact points on both sides.... some are obviously for extra chips, some are dip switches and others... well I don't know. 

Since the pics aren't real great I'll take an afternoon and write the chip names on all the pics as well as any other text I can find. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:59:17 pm by Howard_Casto »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 06:21:30 pm »
Ok on the battery side the chip says:

HSRM20255LM10
F31M 271
Japan

The text in the upper left corner says "Pocket games" which seems to be the brand name of these boards.

As you can see there is what looks like a place to connect a chip as well as a few dip points.  The one on the right hand side of the battery is closed.  The one next to the chip looks like a solid blob in my cruddy pic, but it's actually 3, and the top two are closed together.  It's labeled "j8". 

---------------------------------------
The back of the pcb:

It says UNION at the top... it appears to be the pcb manufacturer.  The serial on the upper right reads: SMD157D-72  (72 most likely stands for 72 pin as there is a famicom version of this cart).  The large white text in the lower right says SMD151212. 

On the top left hand side there are solder points for what looks like a diode, a dip and another diode respectively labeled D1 R1 and D2.  Since it's labeled R1 maybe the dip is actually a spot for a resistor?

There is a blank spot for a chip on the left labeled  U6 and a chip labeled U9 below it. 

The large chip to the left is labeled U3 and reads:
MXIC 81325
29GL256EHMC-90Q
3P060800
TAIWAN

The square chip in the center is labeled U1 and reads:

SMD132

The solder pads (for a dip) to the left of that chip are labeled 5/6K.  The one below and to the right is labeled H/V (the rom order dip).  The rest of the dip pads on this side of the pcb are unlabeled.

As for the rest of the chips on this side, they are frikkin small and I'm an old man so cut me some slack.  Once I find my magnifying glass I'll add them. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 02:16:41 am »
Well I knew it was a good idea to look at the inside of the cart before I started playing.  I've spent all day playing Little Samson.  That game is surprisingly good considering it's rarity (a rare nes game usually equates to a crappy nes game). 

So anyway, after looking over the cart, the traces are just too darn small to even think of replacing the chips, ect.  I'm thinking that the best route might be to contact the manufacturer directly and see about getting a blank cart made that we can program with an Arduino or something.  I know the language barrier is going to make that hard though. 

Anybody want to help me out phrasing a message?

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2016, 12:49:11 pm »
I had been really hoping this thing would have USB headers on the board. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 02:54:32 pm »
Well there are some contact points on the back, but without a spec sheet I'm not exactly sure how I could figure out their function. 

They offer to make custom runs so I've got to think that there is a way to program them. 

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2016, 11:15:54 am »
Hey Howard,

as is, just ordering that cart online, you think it's worth it ?
I'm really craving retro game play as of late and wanted to go out today and pick up a RetroN1 ($30 locally).
I was hoping a cart like this would work.

Thanks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 12:43:23 pm »
For 15 bucks... sure it's worth it.  Just keep one thing in mind.  The games it seems to give top billing, the Rockman games, are in Japanese.  So if you want to read the dialog in the games (not much of it) you are SOL.   There doesn't seem to be any rhyme nor reason as to which ones are Japanese either, although most have English text. 

Oh something I ran across last night.... the most horrible port of Altered Beast is included in the cart.  Gameplay wise it's pretty perfect, but there is next to no sound and the sprites are so small that only the top half of the screen is used.  It looks like ports of Toki and possibly Bonk are on there as well.  I haven't had time to try them all. 

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2016, 10:36:36 pm »
$15 ? WOW !

I saw these for $60 or so, I gotta find your source!
I'm in Canada, so it will be a little more, but from $15 to $60 is a HUGE leap.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 10:23:40 pm »
I also noticed they're selling single game cartridges for $20.  Pcb looks almost identical to yours...

:dunno

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 02:02:26 pm »
I placed my order, I'm excited for this to come in.
Should be any day now I suspect.
Looking forward to having some retro fun.

Its motivated me to source out other multicarts or EverDrive type devices.

Super excited ! Thanks again Howard

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 01:15:53 pm »

This mult-cart FINALLY came in on Friday.
I've been too busy to pop it into the Retron.
(yep, for simplicity I went out and bought one!) 
This week I hope to partake in some 8 bit goodness. 

I'd actually like to build a collection and get a few of these, I'm sure I'll get a ton of repeat games, but for the price they can't be beat.

fahlim003

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2016, 12:37:17 pm »
Just joined to add my experience.

I recently bought a Mega Man 6 in 1 multi-cart and had a chance to test it today.

The circuit is the SMD157D-72 with the UNION label obverse Pocket Games reverse.

Everything looks in good order and with that I tested it. First I ran it on a clone system, specifically the Tri-Star Super 8 piggy-back system that goes on a Super Nintendo. Notably, MM2, 3, & 6 all failed to work or locked up very early on. MM1 & 2 had sound issues and was rather garbled.

I then go to my original Toaster NES and the issues with MM2, 3, & 6 go away and everything runs/loads. However, the music in 1 & 2 still sounds poor and as such I opened the cart up to see if there are any issues. Everything looks clean and proper even upon close inspection so it may be the romset that was initially used, or the mapper set.

I've consulted with the seller and am awaiting to hear back and once I do I'll see if this is an isolated problem or a widespread issue.

[Vendorname and link removed per Rule 5 -- Scott]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 04:25:58 pm by PL1 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 02:44:40 pm »
I had some issues with sound, but resetting it a few times made it go away.  You'll have to ask the vendor, but I believe resetting X number of times switches from ntsc to pal. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 04:35:21 pm »
So how soon until someone starts taking the single game PCBs and selling them on E-bay as originals?  Those hipsters will never know the difference.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 07:54:50 pm »
We are probably still a ways off on that.  They are selling these multi-carts for 15-20 bucks a pop and for the majority of the nes library, the originals don't cost that much.  I mean sure if you buy them on eBay or Amazon......

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2016, 03:18:02 pm »
I saw some sellers selling custom individual games, you pick the game and the shell color and for $15/20 your set.
I actually sent a message to a couple sellers looking to get a custom ROM set.
I'd love Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Super Spike V-Ball, and 8 Eyes. I don't recall seeing those specific titles on any multicart.

If the price is good I'd simply review the entire US ROM set and make my selections. Even if I need to order 10 pcs I'd consider it.
Trying to sell the others locally via Kijiji, etc.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2016, 06:25:01 pm »
Well what I mean is most of the expensive nes carts run on the same mapper on a very inexpensive game.  It's still cheaper to take a real game, desolder the chips and put in new ones. 

Also most of the high-end collectors know what they are looking for and won't even buy a cart without taking it apart first.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2016, 12:42:15 am »
I wish the manufacturer would make a set. Carts 1 thru 4 (or more if needed) and simply split up the complete US library. To me that would be ideal. Outside of that I'm waiting on pricing for a custom cart.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2016, 03:00:08 am »
I've been looking into that.  I think a lot of the reason is the fact that they haven't figured out all of the carts yet.  Do you wonder why Castlevania 3 isn't on the cart but 1 and 2 are?  It's because 3 uses a rather rare mapper and custom sound chip.  There are a sizeable chunk of games that do odd stuff like that, making it impossible to get them running on the hardware they are using now. 

I think they could do half the library though... maybe two thirds. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 10:09:28 am »
If I win the lottery I'm gonna buy every copy of Castlevania 3 and burn it so I never have to hear about it again.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2016, 02:31:13 pm »
All in all I like this cart.
For the money you can not go wrong. (IMHO)
I'd actually like to get a few others to be honest, even if I got a ton of duplicate games if they offered 2 or 3 titles I wanted I would not be opposed. I looked into the 400-in-1 and was disappointed in the games list.

I went through the NES US releases and made a list of my favorites, sadly certain "gems" that I wanted were not included.

I'm not versed in the technical side of these, but I wonder why big titles like Punch-Out or Battletoads, Kid Icarus & Metal Gear are missing.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2016, 06:38:59 pm »
It's probably a lot of reasons, but some of it probably has to do with different regions having different tastes.  Mike Tyson's Punch-out was made specifically for the west.  Even when it down-graded to regular Punch-Out I don't think it sold well in Asia.  Battletoads was a western property.  The pc engine was quite popular in Japan and the rest of Asia and the NES version of Metal Gear is actually a horribly butchered port.  I mean they even changed the story significantly.  As for some of the classics like Kid Icarus, Metroid and ect... I honestly don't know. 

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2016, 08:37:34 pm »
Odd I guess!  ???

I still say I'd like to see a set of carts containing what they could of the complete US library.
I think that would be super cool.

I'm actually looking into getting some of the SD cart options. The Sega Genesis one is quite reasonable, the SNES & N64 substantially more.
Being in Canada with a weal dollar I'll wait a lil bit.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2016, 08:52:47 pm »
Regional tastes and all those game specific custom chips...

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2016, 09:49:30 pm »
Odd I guess!  ???

I still say I'd like to see a set of carts containing what they could of the complete US library.

I'm actually looking into getting some of the SD cart options. The Sega Genesis one is quite reasonable, the SNES & N64 substantially more.
wait until the week of thanksgiving. all the everdrives go 2p% off

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2016, 10:17:19 pm »
Or just get the Chinese version.  They are even showing up on amazon now.  They come complete with a 8 gb sd card. 

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2016, 12:37:40 am »
The Sega Genesis one is quite reasonable, under $40 US.
The SNES & N64 more, the N64 version being the most costly.
I could not find the NES "Chinese" version of the SD-Cart.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2016, 01:45:34 am »
You didn't say anything about the NES version... I mean the everdrive md. 

I'm honestly not surprised that the snes/n64 carts are so expensive.... those systems used all kinds of crazy on the cart chips, the n64 in particular. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2016, 09:44:34 am »
N64 carts only had various security chips, otherwise it was just ROMs.  I spent $300+ on a Z64 back in the day.  :-P 

Go make up incorrect facts somewhere else.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2016, 03:49:20 pm »
Umm you just said that it had various security chips.  Next time you want to get grouchy make sure you have a valid reason to. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2016, 04:35:50 pm »
A security chip is nothing like an additional processor or the like that you'd see on the NES cartridges.  The N64 ROMs are easily modified to get around it, and the security chips were emulated via software 10+ years ago. 

It's lack of demand keeping the N64 multicarts from being any cheaper.  10 games worth owning on that system and everyone has them already.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2016, 07:19:18 pm »
A security chip is nothing like an additional processor or the like that you'd see on the NES cartridges.  The N64 ROMs are easily modified to get around it, and the security chips were emulated via software 10+ years ago. 

It's lack of demand keeping the N64 multicarts from being any cheaper.  10 games worth owning on that system and everyone has them already.
I got my everdrive 64 from my wife for Christmas and I love it. I picked up the everdrive MD after new years and it's great. but I do regret not forking the extra cash for the mega everdrive. the load times suck.

MikakoHep

• Offline Offline
NES/Famicom Multicarts
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2016, 06:00:10 pm »
Ive decided to get one of the StoneAgeGamer Adaptors, and it works perfectly with my Famicom. The only thing I should note is that, like with the FC-to-NES adaptors, you must attach the cart backwards relative to the console the sale page shows carts attached the other way.

EDIT: I just noticed that the converter came with instructions, but they stuck inside the box and I didnt find them immediately. Also, the instructions indicate that it was designed for the Yobo FC if anyone cares.

P.S. I would like to ask if in a situation like this, where a significant amount of time has passed and the new post in unrelated to the previous one, should I add a new reply like this or just edit the previous post?

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2016, 02:39:04 am »
Honestly you could add another post instead of modifying an old post, since you are adding new information. I know some other forums where people get real bent out of shape for double posting.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2016, 11:28:34 am »
The 150 in 1 originally mentioned by Howard has crept down to about $6 shipped for a Famicom version.  I bit.

EDIT - another thing I noticed is that we are in the era of single game reproduction cartridges.  Roughly $15-30 each for both rare retail games and weird fan projects (like FF VII NES).  Clearly someone is able to reprogram these PCBs....

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:49:05 am by pbj »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2016, 11:51:37 am »
The advent of flash EPROMS has made this stuff easier. I've been using them on my MultiVS and they're awesome.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2016, 12:15:13 pm »
The 150 in 1 originally mentioned by Howard has crept down to about $6 shipped for a Famicom version.  I bit

The venders all seem to ship world wide free. I have plans to pick up a Famicom now that I'm moving to Loas. I'v seen them for under $45 on the local version of eBay. I'll be picking up a 150 in on shortly there after.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2016, 03:09:39 pm »
The 150 in 1 originally mentioned by Howard has crept down to about $6 shipped for a Famicom version.  I bit.

EDIT - another thing I noticed is that we are in the era of single game reproduction cartridges.  Roughly $15-30 each for both rare retail games and weird fan projects (like FF VII NES).  Clearly someone is able to reprogram these PCBs....

There are points on the pcb that make me think that a proprietary McGuffin is placed over the pcb and they are flashed that way.  Unfortunately I'm not a hardware guy that can look at a chip and tell what point is for what, so I'm not sure how to re-flash them. 

As yots said, re-flashable eproms make things simpler.  If you are willing to manually flash the game you want to play via a pc connection, you can make a generic cart on most systems at this point.  Some cavets apply, like nes roms needing the proper mapper from a donor cart, ect....

I'm looking at the 70's style stuff and thinking that a bank switching cart might be the way to go.  You can easily fit 90% of the 2600 library on a couple of eeproms.  Vectrex, colecovision and ect are the same way.  (note to self:  purchase vectrex). 

I saw a Spanish site where a guy had used a cheap avr and had up/down buttons that changed the game number, displayed on 7 segment lcds, instead of dip switches for one of these 2600 multi carts.  I'm wondering how much more kit/expense it would take to have a cheap lcd just display the game label instead. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2016, 10:28:30 pm »
Mine arrived.  Pcb is different.

Anyone still running an NES needs to own one of these.

:cheers:

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2016, 08:32:35 am »
Mine arrived.  Pcb is different.

Anyone still running an NES needs to own one of these.

Which one did you Get?

Nevermind, you said it like 4 posts up.
But you got a picture?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:35:57 am by thomas_surles »

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2016, 08:45:40 am »
Here's a couple of low quality pics.  I got the Famicom version because I already had an adapter laying around.

No battery but it still has Kirby on it.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2016, 11:00:05 am »
Lol Kirby don't work.  This is apparently a bootleg of a bootleg.  If you must play the crummy Kirby game, get the version with a battery.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2016, 11:38:07 am »
Actually it's one of the best Kirby games and most people didn't play it because it was released near the end of the NES life cycle.  That being said, it's the one of the best Kirby games is like bragging about your highly polished turd.  Silly gamers, Kirbys for kids!

I don't know if it's from the pics or what, but it looks like the upper left pin on the back isn't connected.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2016, 02:09:52 pm »
There's an unpopulated spot for a diode.  That's probably to block the cartridge from charging the (missing) battery while the system is turned on.  If I thought the presence of a battery would get Kirby going, I'd toss one on there and see what happens.  Might try it anyway...

Do you have Mario or Sonic on your splash screen?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2016, 02:29:35 pm »
It has an outline of Mario's head, so maybe this is a different cart.  Once you are in the menu it's blue with Mega Man in the corner.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2016, 04:02:40 pm »
I was a Kirby fan.  :dunno

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2016, 06:57:05 pm »
I don't dislike Kirby, it's just they are decidedly kids games.  They are so easy I can make it through most of them on a single life.  Epic Yarn was worth the trip though. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2016, 09:37:15 pm »
Couple of pics... Super Mario 2 & 3 are hilariously glitchy and you cannot beat the first levels.

Also, the boot splash screen...

Cheat code works on TMNT Manhattan Project, so I'm playing through a game I never saw in person...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:51:29 pm by pbj »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2016, 09:58:23 pm »
That's the same one. 

My SMB 3 was ok, I didn't try 2. 

TMNT III was one of our favs back in the day.  It's a shame that one never became an arcade game. 

Btw, I was meaning to tell someone else this.... imgur doesn't seem to be working.  I can manually put the url in a browser and it shows up, but not on the forum. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2016, 11:16:39 pm »
This makes me miss my front loader NES. I see a cheepish one on eBay for about $50 shipped that...
"This has been tested and it does not work properly. Units keeps flashing purple screen when trying to play games.
"

Does this sound like it would be fixed by doing the lock out chip mod? Should I risk it?

Because I have a working top loader, $50-$60 is about as mush as I would pay for one at the moment.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2016, 11:33:31 pm »
90% of the time, "non working" NESs just need the pins pulled out or a good cleaning.  Classic Nintendo stuff is like Buddy Lee, you can't bust 'em.

I've never even had to clip the lock out chips myself. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2016, 11:42:20 pm »

Top loader for life.   :P

Contemplating composite mod.  There is a ton of bad info out there....

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2016, 11:44:48 pm »

I love my top loader but want to have the 1985 look on the shelf. I'll sleep on it.

and congratulations :cheers:

Edit: The composite mod looks cheep and easy if you are talking about this. But if I was going  to mod I would probably go all in with RGB.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 11:58:05 pm by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2016, 12:01:56 am »

You just contradicted yourself there.....  if you want to use composite, you use a front loader.  Even with a composite mod, the top loader video quality is pretty poor.  I'm wondering how long it'll be before the Chinese sites start cloning the rgb mod for the nes.... then it'll be a wash as you'll be able to get the 100 dollar mod kit for 20.  ;)

Cowabunga, do machines....ect....

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2016, 12:33:38 am »
It's $2 worth of components difference in the front loader vs top loader circuits but whatever you say.

::)

Manhattan Project was a legitimately fun game.  Spamming both buttons eventually kills you, so it's not like TMNT 2 where you wanted to kick your friend for doing the jump slash over and over....

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2016, 12:56:49 am »
I just ordered the 72 pin version and started losing top loaders Ebay, I'll keep at it till I get the price I want.   

I also noticed that the FAMICOM go for more then I would have thought. I have seen them in Thailand for about $45 USD and even cheeper on a local web sites. I may pick a few up to sell next summer when I come back home.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 08:20:51 am by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2016, 01:47:18 am »
I just ordered the 72 pin version. tarted losing on Ebay. I'll keep at it till I get the price I want.   

I also noticed that the FAMICOM go for more then I would have thought. I seen them in Thailand for about $45 USD and even cheeper on a local web sites. I may pick a few up to sell next summer when I come back home.

Yeah, I guess the thought behind it's appeal is you can use crazy stuff like the disk drive and the keyboard accessories and all that expansion port goodness.  Objectively speaking though, the famicom kind of sucks compared to the NES.  The gamepads are connected and the wires are short, it looks like a fisher price toy, ect...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2016, 01:53:40 am »
It's $2 worth of components difference in the front loader vs top loader circuits but whatever you say.

::)

Manhattan Project was a legitimately fun game.  Spamming both buttons eventually kills you, so it's not like TMNT 2 where you wanted to kick your friend for doing the jump slash over and over....

I don't know what to tell ya man.  Maybe they started using cheaper parts on the later models, but usually the comparison videos show *some* top loaders with as good a picture quality as the original nes and some are noticeably worse.  How to tell which version you have is beyond me. 

What I liked about III was we finally got some new content.  You can only fight on the streets of New York so many times, to ultimately face Bebop, Rocksteady, Shredder and Krang.  Sure eventually you do those things, but the stages where the turtles are out of their element were noteworthy as well as the new bosses that were some serious deep cuts in the action figure isle.   Even turtles in time, which tried to mix it up with the time travel element, ended up being a greatest hits of the generic stages you go through in every beat-em-up. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2016, 11:50:51 am »
Yep, completely agree on Manhattan Project.  Never cared much for Turtles in Times.

My top loader is RF only and has the jail bars.  10 year old you and me wouldn't have noticed or cared.

Today I'm going to take the pcb out and shove the cart into my FOAC.  Supposedly some of these hacks don't work well on real hardware, so I'm curious to see if that'll clear up Kirby and Mario 3.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2016, 06:56:19 pm »
I think it depends on what you use to display it.  The really old tvs did a great job with composite and even rf, but as tvs got cheaper, the way they handled anything but broadcast and digital started to suffer.  I've got two flat screens I play on.... one does a really good job of upscaling but constantly loses sync and another keeps sync but upscales horribly. 

I've even got a couple of crts to test on, but as they were built around the time flat screens were coming in, even they do a rather poor job. 

I would love to get a really old 1980's tv...a 25 incher.. and maybe mod it for rgb input. 

I've been trying to convert everything I have to rgb, not because I'm one of those "sharper is better" guys, but because it's too much of a hassle to get a reliable signal on anything but vga or hdmi. 

I'm curious about the FOAC as well.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2016, 07:50:48 pm »
Everything works 100% on the FOAC, even the saving in Kirby.

Sigh.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2016, 07:34:11 pm »
How does it save without a battery?  Is there a cap on the board or something?

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2016, 08:33:02 pm »
How does it save without a battery?  Is there a cap on the board or something?
I was wondering the same thing

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2016, 12:23:10 am »
I'll test it further, but I played a level, turned off the system, played another game, turned off system, turned back on and fired up Kirby and the save was there and worked.  Supposedly playing some games will corrupt the Kirby saves... 

:dunno

I played Rock Board.  That game is.... A polished turd.  Three hours gone...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2016, 02:53:44 pm »
Maybe that covered blob on the pcb is a battery?  Seems an odd way to do it though. 

Yeah the Rockman board game is kind of like the mentally challenged version of Mario Party.... minus any fun. 

The one that surprised me, because I barely played it once as a kid, is Rush N' Attack.  A surprising amount of skill and strategy is required for that one.  Tons of fun if you are into that sort of game.   

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2016, 05:14:06 pm »
I'll take another look at the chips.  My version has far fewer components on it than the Pocket Games labelled one.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:54:23 pm by PL1 »

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2016, 07:39:04 pm »
Okay, scratch all that.  Save games are not retained with Kirby on this version.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2016, 10:24:04 pm »
Just to confirm, Howard yours saves right?

I just ordered a front loader for $36.99 with two remotes off eBay. It is mission the door so I ordered on for $5 shipped. If I find a 23 SCART CRT over seas I'll RGB mod this one or my top loader. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2016, 10:40:28 pm »
Yeah... I mean I tried it once, but like pbj I'm not super into Kirby. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2016, 09:57:26 am »
Also, TMNT 1 does not work on a real NES, but fine on the Famiclone.  That was another one I read was problematic...

Spend the extra $8 and get the NES version with the battery.  For $6.15, I'm not at all upset but there's no sense in not spending a few more bucks and having it all work.

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2016, 10:35:46 am »
Thanks PBJ,

I or the NES one. While I was at it, I ordered a front loader NES for $36 with two remotes. It's my last day of vacation in the US so both will arrive at my parents house after I leave. I can't wait to have my own place in the US so I can design to display and you know play on original hard ware from time to time.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2016, 12:52:52 pm »
I'm thinking of lugging out a smaller crt and getting that multicart with all the lightgun games on it.  Does anyone have any info on that one?

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2016, 11:26:26 pm »
There's a new one, I've seen it called 139 in 1.  Menu is simpler but the games are in alphabetical order.  Includes final fantasy, mother, zelda, etc.  The catch is that even starting another battery game can kill your save on another game.

Howard - sacrifice thy wallet.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2016, 12:04:54 am »
Eh... the N8 clones are finally out, so I'll probably just go that route. 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2016, 06:32:56 am »
Odd I guess!  ???

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32716178027.html?aff_click_id=abadcf49df004a8086a5954c3a1cb5d0-1471958166277-06049-ENjUBzea&aff_platform=y

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2016, 07:15:54 am »
Does it play Castlevania 3?

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2016, 07:45:09 am »
Does it play Castlevania 3?

You will be the first to know for sure.

mike boss

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2016, 08:33:20 pm »
@ thomas_surles

I'm just getting back to this thread and the Ali Express link you posted doesn't work.

Since coming across this thread I ordered a few Multi-Carts, for the price (Around $20 CDN) I think they are super cool, super fun.
I saw one recently that was supposed to be "the 120 (or so) best NES games ever!"

It had Kid Icarus which I thought was awesome, none I've found had Punch-Out! (that sucks!)

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2016, 12:58:30 am »
Yeah, "the best of Nes" is the 143in1.  Been fighting the urge to buy it.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2016, 10:05:15 am »
@ thomas_surles

I'm just getting back to this thread and the Ali Express link you posted doesn't work.

Since coming across this thread I ordered a few Multi-Carts, for the price (Around $20 CDN) I think they are super cool, super fun.
I saw one recently that was supposed to be "the 120 (or so) best NES games ever!"

It had Kid Icarus which I thought was awesome, none I've found had Punch-Out! (that sucks!)
The link died like the next day. No longer available. But I snatched one up for $60

JDFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2016, 12:05:17 pm »
The link died like the next day. No longer available. But I snatched one up for $60

Nice find - seems they only have the empty cartridges listed on aliexpress anymore and the sites with the PCB want over $100 for the bare PCB and about $20+ for the cartridge and label.  SO $60 for the cart label 8GB. SD card and PCB is a good deal.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2016, 02:25:39 pm »

Nice find - seems they only have the empty cartridges listed on aliexpress anymore and the sites with the PCB want over $100 for the bare PCB and about $20+ for the cartridge and label.  SO $60 for the cart label 8GB. SD card and PCB is a good deal.

It is the Chinese knock-off, but it's of the latest version of the n8 ( which really don't need anymore updates) but if your going to get a fake everdrive, this is the one. Bout to test castlevania 3 for mister jelly.

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2016, 03:37:55 pm »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2016, 05:19:47 pm »

They keep popping up occasionally.  "Everdrive" is no longer a valid search.  Flash Card or China Ver.  will most likely get you some results.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2016, 09:55:11 am »
It's 11/11... big discounts running on these from your favorite Chinese importers.....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2016, 10:22:48 am »
They have a lot on sale, but I have trouble searching their site anymore.  I can't find anything.  One thing I did see was the 8bitdo Bluetooth dongles for the snes on sale for 16 bucks.

They have a new xxx in 1 cart for this season, but I haven't heard if it's any good or not. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2016, 10:35:33 am »
What's the new one called?  The last one I saw was "The Best of NES Remix" or something that had Final Fantasy and Earthbound on it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2016, 11:48:42 am »
Hmm.... I should have kept the link.  It just said something like "new for fall 2016.... includes contra". 

bigster

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2016, 03:05:40 pm »
There are some cool looking snes ones with Zelda lttp and parallel worlds plus 2 other RPGs.  Looks like they do custom multis

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2016, 07:44:44 pm »
This arrived today, about $12 shipped. Took a month.

The problematic games on the Famicom version (Mario 2 & 3, TMNT 1) are fine on this version.

The boot up screen has also been removed.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2016, 10:29:13 pm »
Nice.  Not fond of the color, but that looks like the one I mentioned before.  I might have to get it just to get rid of the boot screen.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2016, 11:43:49 pm »
They had multiple colors... I picked green.

jabsder

« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2016, 11:29:47 am »
green?  :dunno

green is not nintendo like.

Nintendo is red or purple and sega is blue, thats it. Everything else is amateurish

Mike A

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2016, 01:37:12 pm »
What sort of gibberish is that?

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #111 on: December 21, 2016, 12:12:22 am »
FYI these are unplayable on a RetroDuo.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2017, 12:41:17 pm »
Tried a couple of mods on the Famicom cartridge.

First I added a Zener diode to the unpopulated spot on the PCB.  These traces were not bridged already as they are on other multicarts.  No change.

Next I ran a jumper wire from the OE pin of the ram chip to the CHR RD pin (#17 on the cartridge).  This scrambled all my graphics but everything booted and "played."

So these mods were both removed and we are back to "stock."  Games that didn't work previously still don't work.

Oh well.

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #113 on: Yesterday at 10:11:02 am »
So this showed up on Saturday:

It was $12.43 shipped.  Ordered on March 30, arrived April 22.  Obvious searches from usual sellers should turn up many variations of this.

No boot up screen, kicks you directly to a text menu with the games in alphabetical order.  Only exception I saw was Mario Bros that they grouped in with SMB 1, 2, and 3 which was a nice touch.

River City Ransom is the USA ROM and in English.  I played it about an hour and it seemed 100% working.  Perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but it seemed like less character flickering than I remember.

Unfortunately, the games I bought this to play (primarily Final Fantasy 3 and Star Tropics 1 & 2) have annoying issues.  All the dialogue text in Final Fantasy 3 is garbled so the game is unplayable.  Star Tropics 1 & 2 both go completely silent once you get passed the title screen.  Which would be a blessing for many NES games but is annoying for those. 

Legend of Zelda seemed to be fine.

So, the non-working ones are a real bummer, but the library on this thing pretty much nails the NES.  Between this and a 151 in 1, I feel like I have the system covered.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #114 on: Yesterday at 04:49:08 pm »
Multi carts are awesome.  They are so cheap I'm tempted to get one of each so we can do a database of which ones have which games and which games are broken ect.....

I never have managed to contact someone about getting a batch of custom carts made. 

pbj

• Online Online
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #115 on: Yesterday at 11:12:27 pm »
Hm, that's an interesting idea.  Have it searchable by either game or specific cartridge so you can drill down to the one that has the games you truly want.  I could throw a list into a spreadsheet quickly.

Tonight I've been enjoying Deja Vu.  Probably 25 years since I beat it.  I'm surprised by how many of the steps I remembered.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #116 on: Yesterday at 11:49:14 pm »
Yeah I would be glad to take an afternoon and do mine as well.  Maybe we can get a database going assuming we aren't the only two people that likes these things. 

It never ceases to amaze me how much I can remember from an old game.  I've got to think the portion of my mind used to memorize mega man patterns and mortal kombat ii fatalities could have been used to cure cancer or something.  Oh well... gotta have priorities I guess. 

Locke141

• Offline Offline
  • Never grow up.
« Reply #117 on: Today at 01:30:38 am »
Tonight I've been enjoying Deja Vu.  Probably 25 years since I beat it.  I'm surprised by how many of the steps I remembered.

Good game. I replayed shadow gate last year. I forgot enough to make it very frustrating at times. There is a sequel called Deja Vu 2 that I have never played. There was also a kick starter a while back do a remake of shadow gate. Its on steam and looks good.

I ordered one of these cats last summer, I'll also make a list for you guys.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:22:00 am by Locke141 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #118 on: Today at 02:37:01 am »
We need to take pics as well... inside and out as many of these carts are hard to tell apart.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31