Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gun talk - Sega Type-II IR Gun setup  (Read 41156 times)

burn_654

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2024, 03:31:13 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Gun talk - Sega Type-II IR Gun setup
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2016, 10:31:08 am »
So it seems like it wouldn't be totally impossible to recreate some of the led boards diy, the issue seems to be the expensive driver board and gun 'camera'.

I wonder if any companies bootlegged stuff like this? I mean we've seen off-brand namco guns in the 'named' variety that seem to be fairly spot on copies. I just wonder if anyone tried to duplicate the driver board too, short of gutting a cab.

twistedsymphony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 11:13:51 pm
  • Play stupid games... win stupid prizes.
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2016, 11:45:53 am »
Following this thread for a full read through later :-)

I have Lethal Enforcers 3 with mirrored CRTs and this gun technology, but was missing the optics board for P2 and found all replacement parts to be ridiculously expensive.  Had planned to pull P1 and put into a smaller cabinet, but will need some of this information for the conversion.

I have the OMZ-2D LED from the previous post in mine.

Thank for confirming, I had heard that LE3 used this tech but couldn't find any concrete info.

From the pics I've seen of LE3 it looks as though there is a separate monitor for each player. is this the case or is it split screen on a  wide-screen monitor? I was curious of how the sensors may have been arranged with two separate monitors.

Happ wants $500 for the OMZ version of the sensor module, which makes the $200 Sega version look cheap. I'd just keep an eye out on eBay, you never know a reasonably priced one might pop up.... or you could figure out how to hook up the sega one in the LE3 guns, the used ones on eBay are going as low as $75

jbserra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2023, 12:03:12 pm
« Reply #82 on: February 25, 2016, 02:34:01 pm »
Yes, separate monitor for each player.  It's a double wide and the sensors (transmitters?) are maybe every 12 inches across the full width of the unit.  I think I have a couple of weak transmitters, so I was going to pool my good ones and make a solid 1 player game.  I didn't take into consideration the reflection from the mirror and possible inversion if I were to use a standard monitor config, but that would make sense I'll have to adjust for it.

Actually, you can see the 10 transmitters glowing in the video:
https://goo.gl/photos/TAZd5CgY3iRXgmYX8
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:37:06 pm by jbserra »

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2016, 03:27:49 pm »
I think I mentioned it earlier but there's a dip switch on the Gun I/O board to turn on and off X-Axis inversion for use in mirror cabs or direct view cabs. Alternatively you can just run them in the opposite direction around the screen  ;D

I found that the inversion makes no difference as the game tends to sort it self out in calibration regardless (at least on NAOMI).

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #84 on: March 31, 2016, 03:33:42 pm »
This might be of interest to some people:

http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=351380

this guy adapted the Gun board for Model 2 games to work on Model 3... the important thing to note here is that Model 2 games use the standard "Happ" style Light Gun. Also, it communicates with the game board Via an RS-422 serial port.

I'm thinking if someone wanted legit Happ Light guns on a PC you could use this board and decode the RS-422 info to get the gun position.

the "Mega JAMMA" board used by Police Trainer 2, Star Trek Voyager, and Crossfire Maximum Paintball works similarly, it provides a JAMMA edge connector, works with Happ guns and outputs gun position (and other inputs) to a Parallel Port connector.

I'm not too interested in persuing this myself but for anyone looking for an arcade perfect CRT gun solution... these are two solid and reasonably priced options.

jbserra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2023, 12:03:12 pm
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2016, 08:31:10 am »
Any chance there is some type of identifier or part number on those IR sensors at the tip?

Also, has anyone taken apart the Time Crisis 4 gun for PS3 that uses the IR LEDs attached to the TV?  Any similarities?

twistedsymphony

• Offline Offline
    • solid-orange.com
    • CollectorsEdition.org
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2016, 02:13:14 pm »
Any chance there is some type of identifier or part number on those IR sensors at the tip?

I looked when I had it apart, there are none visible. The only place where one would fit would be the back side but you'd have to de-solder it from the PCB to check and I'm not willing to disassemble a working sensor that far.

wrcdriver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2018, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2018, 03:53:29 am »
Hello, sorry this is an old thread but it's the only place on the internet where i can find something related to my problem.

I have a Sega Golden Gun and the light sensor broke in half, i've attached a picture of it.
The code is GZH200HF, i was wondering if GZH200D is compatible with my game. Would appreciate some feedback.

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2018, 12:13:59 pm »
It looks like the part might still be good.   

If you detach the small board, lay the board flat,  place the detached optical section back in place, and heat in a toaster oven.. you could get the soldier to re-flow,  and probably get the part to attach just fine.

Do some research into reflow, and temperature and duration...  as too little = no reflow... and too much.. can melt plastics and or kill components.

I do not think the optical sensor that fell off is broke in half.  I believe its actually two individual sensor chips,  based on the 4 solder ball points
on each chip.

New non-lead based solder has a lot of problems with good smooth flow... and as such,  there is probably a 50% failure rate on all modern electronic circuit boards,  as a result.   These failures can happen immediately,  a few months,  or even years down the road.  Temperature changes,  vibrations,  can cause the already weak connections to break free.  Also, there tends to be small micro-spikes in the process... and these spikes can break off, and cause electronic shorts.

Also, you may first want to clean the parts with rubbing alcohol, then apply some decent quality flux.  The flux greatly aids in flow and bonding.

wrcdriver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2018, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2018, 05:05:55 am »
It looks like the part might still be good.   

If you detach the small board, lay the board flat,  place the detached optical section back in place, and heat in a toaster oven.. you could get the soldier to re-flow,  and probably get the part to attach just fine.

Do some research into reflow, and temperature and duration...  as too little = no reflow... and too much.. can melt plastics and or kill components.

I do not think the optical sensor that fell off is broke in half.  I believe its actually two individual sensor chips,  based on the 4 solder ball points
on each chip.

New non-lead based solder has a lot of problems with good smooth flow... and as such,  there is probably a 50% failure rate on all modern electronic circuit boards,  as a result.   These failures can happen immediately,  a few months,  or even years down the road.  Temperature changes,  vibrations,  can cause the already weak connections to break free.  Also, there tends to be small micro-spikes in the process... and these spikes can break off, and cause electronic shorts.

Also, you may first want to clean the parts with rubbing alcohol, then apply some decent quality flux.  The flux greatly aids in flow and bonding.

Thanks for the info, will try reflowing, there are some computer services around and will ask around for a profesional opinion.
Meanwhile i ordered a new part from sega.

tangodownNZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2024, 09:59:53 pm
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2022, 04:08:51 pm »
I am also setting up a sega light gun to my pc.
I need some help please.
I have a Gun I/O Board for Ghost Squad Sega 838-14465R03, a UHID, a ghost squad gun, Sega LED BD GUN SENSE HOD 838-13145R02 x 10, all out of the lindbergh ghost squad arcade cabinet.
I need some help with how to connect the uhid to the gun sense board and then on to my pc via usb. Can somebody please explain the pin out to the uhid. I have attached a drawing of the board but I don’t know what f.out and “ret” is for ect
I know there is an x and y axis, and the trigger, which I can see. But the gun has fire select switch and an action button, but I can not see these and don’t know how to wire them to the uhid.
Also any information that might help me would be great. Thank you
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 04:27:57 pm by tangodownNZ »

tangodownNZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2024, 09:59:53 pm
« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2022, 09:45:12 pm »
I am also setting up a sega light gun to my pc.
I need some help please.
I have a Gun I/O Board for Ghost Squad Sega 838-14465R03, a UHID, a ghost squad gun, Sega LED BD GUN SENSE HOD 838-13145R02 x 10, all out of the lindbergh ghost squad arcade cabinet.
I need some help with how to connect the uhid to the gun sense board and then on to my pc via usb. Can somebody please explain the pin out to the uhid. I have attached a drawing of the board but I don’t know what f.out and “ret” is for ect
I know there is an x and y axis, and the trigger, which I can see. But the gun has fire select switch and an action button, but I can not see these and don’t know how to identify them and how to wire them to the uhid.
Also any information that might help me would be great. Thank you