Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME - Steering Wheel Configurations  (Read 6376 times)

b00fa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2016, 07:12:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MAME - Steering Wheel Configurations
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:38:20 pm »
Hi all,

I've been a huge MAME fan for many years, playing on my PC with an XBOX Controller and then moving on up to a button box - proudly made by myself  :applaud:

I've had a G27 for a while and over the Christmas break I made a pact to myself on having a go at setting up RacerMAME. I've had success at getting the Model 2 and Model 3 driving games going, so I thought I'd jump in on RM to see how I'd get on.

After battling away (I'll mention that I'm not a smart man), I've frustrated myself in getting things up and running. I've been researching and reading a whole lot on how some aspects that work in one game aren't replicated in another... which is all fine.

What I have been looking for is if anywhere has the MAME user configurations for the games posted anywhere as a reference per game or system. Example     

I haven't had any luck finding these otherwise and I appreciate the pioneers how have been before me who have calibrated their games to get them working.

Any advice, direction is appreciated.

Cheers.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:51:33 pm
Re: MAME - Steering Wheel Configurations
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 12:49:37 am »
There are more or less 20 working games in MAME (clones excluded): what is the problem with your configuration?

b00fa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 04:55:44 am »
Hi baritonomarchetto,

Thank you for replying to my question. I appreciate that the author of this wonderful software has replied and I hope that my question isn't to low brow for you

In working with Power Drift, I have established the accelerator, brake and steering - I just haven't found the correct function to manuipluate the high and low gears. I appreciate that the software H2seq is available - I'm just trying to understand the function for future reference... and am getting a little frustrated I can't find it.

For Ridge Racer, I again have accelerator, brake and steering - but here I can't get any difference from the pot on pressure being applied to the pedal, where it acts more as a button than a pot. I see in the config there is analogue control options, but I'm not sure if I should be fiddling in here.

Finally, I am getting the warning SwitchRes: could not find a video mode that meets your specs. I've red this will appear with vertical games - just wondering if there's a setting I can change of alter to fix/miss the warning.

Thanks again for your assistance and for producing great software for us all.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 07:44:47 am »
If you are using racermame160 (which, as i said, is more a collection of patches so your kind words should be addressed to all those people that share their hard work ;): i only made some little tweak here and there) have a sequential shifter, it should be ready to play as it is: you only have to map a direction (or both) of the shifter in the in-game MAME menu.
For the switchres issue, racermame160 by default is set for CRT monitors: are you running the emulator on a LCD screen?
About ridge racer i cannot be of any help because my pc has not the horse power to run it in mame. You should eventually give "vivanonno" emulator a go
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:48:06 am by baritonomarchetto »

b00fa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 08:38:25 am »
Thanks again for your reply.

Yes, I have started with RM 160 (so thanks to all the additions and their makers).

In using the G27 - I have the gear stick attached, but am unable to have it recognised from the start. I even went to the trouble of blocking out all (what I thought) were configurations not needed... changing them to NONE. If the shifter is to works straight with the software I might need to delete and reinstall. Any idea on what I should be mapping the gears to exactly in the configuration? I read somewhere that these are assigned to the AD Stick - but I had no luck in adding any of the six gears.

For my monitor, I'm using a LCD. If this is the cause of the issue - I can live with the error popping up.

Thanks for your suggestion with Ridge Racer. I will look into vivanonno as another option. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 09:40:31 am »
The pic you posted is of the global "all games" mapping.
That's not going to work for driving games since the original cabs weren't all wired up the same like most JAMMA joystick cabs were.
You'll have to map each game individually.  You might have to reverse the axis of one or both pedals in some games.
You'll definitely also have to adjust the analog sensitivity for the steering axis too.
Have a look at the MAME section of the stickied driving cab info thread.

About Ridge Racer...

quote from hap (the MAMEdev who worked on Ridge Racer) originally posted over on mameworld:

Here's how to assign it to 6 separate buttons in MAME, hope it works for your shifter hardware:
Shift Down = button1 OR button3 OR button5
Shift Up = button2 OR button4 OR button6
Shift Left = button1 OR button2
Shift Right = button5 OR button6

You might also have to set the cabinet type to deluxe.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:50:25 am by BadMouth »

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 10:24:17 am »
For the error message that pops-up, I am at the phone now so i cannot check for you easily, but in mame.ini there's for sure some option that can help (i don't know which one being that i play 2D games only on genuine CRT's :) )
Google is your friend too ;)

b00fa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 06:49:18 pm »
Thanks again baritonomarchetto - much appreciated.

Also thanks to you too BadMouth. I've found details on the internet as you have mentioned, where different settings are required for each game. This was in part my initial question, seeing if anywhere had posted the different variations per game that people had experienced. I appreciate now that the RM software was more for cab conversions rather than straight PC driving - but I'm still prepared to tinker around.

I appreciate all your assistance.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 11:35:06 pm »
Well here's the thing.  Games with analog controls need to be tweaked to whatever analog device you are using.  An arcade rig is going to have a wheel, a shifter, some VR buttons, possibly some lights, and a pedal set.  Both the physical controls (converted arcade machine or pc wheel?  which one?) and the interface (did you hack in the vr buttons?  what about the shifter?  ect....) are going to vary so there isn't an easy default setup.  It's probably why there's next to no standardization within MAME in regards to racing controls as well.