Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Keeping Mala alive?  (Read 2531 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:43:52 pm
Keeping Mala alive?
« on: January 06, 2016, 12:04:49 pm »
We should probably just move on, but Mala does everything I want and is easy to skin.
I've seen posts recently by people who can't find needed files.
Plus we have the whole xml incompatibility with new versions of MAME now.

Thoughts on keeping a stickied thread here with all the needed files attached?

Keeping a link to an updated xml file that works with new versions of MAME?

Having to maintain stuff sucks, so thoughts on just keeping the needed stuff for the last version of MAME that Mala worked properly?
(and telling people it doesn't work with newer versions unless you're prepared to do some workarounds)

Just throwing ideas out there.
If I had more free time, I like the idea of a curated, stripped down xml file with all the unplayable stuff taken out.
Maybe have a matching batch file to copy the needed roms from a full romset into a smaller folder.
I wouldn't want to have to do it for every new MAME update though.
Even with Romlister, you'd have to go back over the list to find things that were missed.

FalcoZX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2016, 09:10:06 pm
  • MAME is amazing
Re: Keeping Mala alive?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 04:32:34 am »
I like the idea. I wish there were a bit more activity here around keeping Mala alive.

What happened to the developer(s) anyways?