Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Crash in GM 0.169 fix2 build when switching resolution.  (Read 2003 times)

chrisvg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2019, 09:47:50 pm
  • Blast City fanboy!
Crash in GM 0.169 fix2 build when switching resolution.
« on: January 06, 2016, 09:11:00 am »
Hey guys,

Just been testing out the new GM 0.169 fix2 build with the new CRT_Emudriver 2.0 beta 4 driver release and have run into a repeatable crash in games that change video modes.  I currently have my VMMaker configuration setup using the MS2930 trisync profile, so there are many modelines available, not sure if this is part of the problem.

For example, try playing NFL Blitz (blitz) or Blitz '99 (blitz99).  It will start out in 640x480@57Hz and then after displaying the initial boot screen (just a few pixels drawn on the screen), then after a second or two it will switch to 511x384@57Hz.  It is when SwitchRes tries to change the video mode that GM crashes out.

I have reverted my copy of GM back to the initial 0.169 release and it works as expected, switching video modes without any trouble and continues to run just fine, so I suspect it's one of the patches Calamity has applied in the last couple of days.

I've attached my switchres log from GM, and also the crash dump info after GM died.

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like me to test out or info I can provide that can help out.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
Re: Crash in GM 0.169 fix2 build when switching resolution.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:03:47 am »
Hi chrisvg,

It's good to see someone trying the driver with the new cards.

In fact there has been no change regarding the part of the code that deals with the new cards between both builds of GM. I suspect the issue should already be present in the old buid, even if not manifest. The one thing I'll do is run the game with the -v param, from command line, but not redirect the output to a file, then copy the contents of the screen, that way the log will break right when the crash happens.

Besides, you don't need to force positive sync, that's only for legacy cards.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

chrisvg

• Offline Offline
  • Blast City fanboy!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 11:21:02 am »
Ah yeah, I forgot to mention this is on a Radeon HD 7850 card.  I bought one cheap online as soon as I saw you post the new driver :)  I was previously using a Radeon HD 4890 and was looking forward to the new drivers so I could upgrade to a newer DX11 card for Demul and steam games!

I had all sorts of problems maintaining sync before I forced the positive sync setting in the monitor profile.  I tried all sorts of monitor profiles (forced separate 15k/24k/31k modes) and none of them would hold sync.

I found that I could get a stable picture on the monitor (it's a MS2930) if I uninstalled the driver, rebooted, then reinstalled the driver.  But as soon as I generate a modelist and apply it to the card, it would lose sync and I would never be able to get it back.

This was until I saw you made the change to how it handles sync for older cards.  I knew it was not specific for my situation, but I was running out of ideas and decided to give it a try.. Et voila, it worked!

Anyway, regarding the crash, you could well be right regarding it being not specifically related to the fix2 build.  While I can get blitz running fine with the initial release of GM 0.169, I have experienced some random crashes in other games since I originally made my post.

Anyhow, it's pretty late here right now in Australia, but I'll run some more tests tomorrow to see if I can help to identify a common cause of the crashes.  If you have any ideas you would like me to try, please post a reply and I'll have a look in the morning.

Oh and I'm not sure if the logs I posted made it clear, but I'm running Win7 64bit on my machine.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 11:39:44 am »
You're right chrisvg, there's a bug in fix2, building fix3 in a while!
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 12:08:33 pm »
Is problem with HD5xxx, HD6xxx, HD7xxx serie? I tested fix2 with beta4 on HD4350 and no problems (positive sync in VMMaker but default arcade_15 in groovymame, seems to be working this way).

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 12:16:13 pm »
Is problem with HD5xxx, HD6xxx, HD7xxx serie? I tested fix2 with beta4 on HD4350 and no problems (positive sync in VMMaker but default arcade_15 in groovymame, seems to be working this way).

Bug only for new cards.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 12:47:55 pm »
Uploaded fix3.

I had all sorts of problems maintaining sync before I forced the positive sync setting in the monitor profile.

I suspect the sync polarities are inverted in vmmaker/GM for the new cards, meaning that ATI documentation would be wrong. Maybe what you've done is actually forcing it to negative, which would match with what the users of the HD 4000s have been suffering these days with positive sync.

Steps to create a log:

intealls

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:02:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 04:51:22 pm »
I'm seeing a problem which might be related with rsgun (HD 5770).

When switching to 720x480@60i, some issues arise.

D3D: Seems to switch to 640x480@60p (might be 720x480, monitor reports 640x480@60.0 Hz, H- V-).
D3D9Ex: 'Direct3D: Error 08760877 during device present call'.
DDraw: 'DirectDraw: Error 80004001 attempting to set video mode 720x480@60 call'.

I've installed beta 4, but just reran the installer over beta 1. Perhaps a complete driver wipe and clean install could help?

chrisvg

• Offline Offline
  • Blast City fanboy!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 12:55:06 am »
Thanks for posting the new build Calamity!

I've performed some tests with the new fix3 build and have not experienced any crashes!  :D

Intealls, did you experience those crashes with the new fix3 build?  I made sure to test with Radiant Silvergun this time (nice one to test for resolution switching!) and didn't experience any crashes on my end.  All three video options (D3D, D3D9Ex, DDraw) would switch to 720x480@59.83 (progressive, not interlaced).

I'm currently using the stock Nanao MS-2930/31 monitor profile (with the sync settings for each of the 3 display ranges flipped to 1), with modelines being generated with MAME xml and the "super" user list.  Video card is a HD 7850 with the current beta4 driver release (I did uninstall the previous beta driver, then installed beta4 after rebooting with the generic microsoft vga driver in use).

One odd thing I did notice though - if I configure GM to output video via DDraw, the high res 720x480 mode would appear horizontally squished in the middle of the screen.  The monitor was in the correct 31k mode when this resolution was being displayed, so I'm not quite sure why it appeared this way.  Afterwards I loaded up Arcade_OSD to manually switched to the 720x480@60p mode that I have in my list and it had the same squished problem.

Edit: photos added.

groovymame64 rsgun -video d3d9ex

groovymame64 rsgun -video ddraw

Arcade_OSD res list

Arcade_OSD 720x480@60p
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:19:16 am by chrisvg »

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 02:58:00 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 01:35:02 am »
In next 2 days I hope to get HD5450. I'm using static modes only, maybe this will make difference.

Yoy know, 720x480 in some (maybe all) card is reported as native. Maybe that's a problem.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 02:03:52 am by haynor666 »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 04:25:03 pm »
Yoy know, 720x480 in some (maybe all) card is reported as native. Maybe that's a problem.

Exactly.
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 04:30:02 pm »
I'm seeing a problem which might be related with rsgun (HD 5770).

When switching to 720x480@60i, some issues arise.

D3D: Seems to switch to 640x480@60p (might be 720x480, monitor reports 640x480@60.0 Hz, H- V-).
D3D9Ex: 'Direct3D: Error 08760877 during device present call'.
DDraw: 'DirectDraw: Error 80004001 attempting to set video mode 720x480@60 call'.

I've installed beta 4, but just reran the installer over beta 1. Perhaps a complete driver wipe and clean install could help?

I'm seeing the problem. It may be related to the fact that you're converting one progressive mode to interlaced. This caused me problems in the past with legacy cards, that got fixed at the time. I'll need to reproduce the problem here.

Steps to create a log:

intealls

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:02:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 06:05:57 pm »
Ok, thanks alot and let me know if you need anything! The box itself is fairly standard and has only been used for GM along with CRT Emudriver.

Forgot to add to the first post that Strider 2 works without a hitch, even though it switches to/from interlaced modes. I don't think it switches to native modes though, but this needs to be verified.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 06:40:22 pm »
Forgot to add to the first post that Strider 2 works without a hitch, even though it switches to/from interlaced modes. I don't think it switches to native modes though, but this needs to be verified.

The problem is only when a specific progressive resolution needs to be redefined as interlaced in the same session.
Steps to create a log: