Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rowe CD 100E sound problem  (Read 1689 times)

Doughbroz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2019, 05:23:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Rowe CD 100E sound problem
« on: January 04, 2016, 03:37:14 pm »
Worked on Rowes since the R84, but never encountered this bug.  With nothing connected except the jukebox speakers, channel volumes are equal, with a barely noticeable rattle in one channel.  But connect extension speakers and the problem appears.  Jukebox speakers on taps 4 and 1, connect stereo speakers to taps 2 and 6 for 24 watts or whatever it is.  One extension speaker is then three times as loud as the other and rattles badly.  Jukebox speakers stay balanced and sound the same as before.  Swapped speakers and moved them next to the jukebox, so it's not a wiring or speaker problem.  Tried various wattage taps which changed nothing but the volumes.  Overload lights on the amp never come on.  My only thought is that one of the wattage tap transformers is on its way out.  Any simple way to find out, or just swap them and see if the problem moves, or could there be some other cause?  And if it is one of the transformers on the speaker connection assembly, where to get one?  Thanks for any ideas   

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Rowe CD 100E sound problem
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 06:17:14 pm »
Check the crossover network board. Probably bad solder joints at one or more of the chokes.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 07:56:04 am »
Hello Doughbroz,

If you can upload a picture of the outpu package so we can see where you have wired your jukebox and extension speakers to it would help.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Doughbroz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2019, 05:23:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 03:42:46 pm »
I have owned every Rowe box from the R84 through the CD100H and a lot of them have blown preamp fuses for one reason or another.  But this is the first time I ever saw one blow any preamp fuse and still have equal sound in both channels until extension speakers were added.  So after chasing my tail swapping the transformer pack and sound splitter board and many miles of driving, I have learned something new.  FRACK!, I love my job.