Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RIP - The Dead Celebrity Thread  (Read 174913 times)

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: RIP - The Dead Celebrity Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2016, 01:59:22 pm »
Former Megadeth drummer, Nick Menza, has passed away on-stage at age 51 from a sudden heart attack.
Totally gutted by this news. He was part of my favorite band lineup and just such a talented drummer.
http://www.guitarplayer.com/artists/1013/former-megadeth-drummer-nick-menza-dies-onstage-at-51/58165
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:02:38 pm by Ginsu Victim »

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2016, 12:33:40 am »
Muhammad Ali Passed away today.

He was a great fighter and an icon of the sport.

He will be missed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/muhammad-ali-greatest-all-time-dead-74-n584776
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2016, 08:32:09 pm »
yeah i heard he was starting to veg and was basically holding on by a thread.

I'm kinda glad it's over for him. It was a pretty rough go for him for a lot of years. It really messed him up.

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:21:35 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2016, 10:49:28 pm »
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2016, 04:41:21 pm »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2016, 10:57:14 am »
Gordie "Mr Hockey" Howe. After a number strokes a few years back he died today (6/10/2016) at the age of 88.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/gordie-howe-1.3628425

Rip in pepperoni ya glorious bastard...this one's for you eh...

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2016, 02:10:16 pm »
 I was ejected from a hockey game when I was ten because I had a goal and an assist and had to just once in my life complete a Gordie How hat trick.   :cheers:

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #127 on: June 19, 2016, 03:00:11 am »
Actor Ron Lester has died of kidney and liver failure at age 45.

http://www.thewrap.com/ron-lester-star-of-varsity-blues-dies-at-45/

I liked him as Billy Bob in Varsity Blues, then even more as Reggie Ray in Not Another Teen Movie, where he parodied his own character. He also turned up in a few Freaks and Geeks episodes. Other than dropping a ton of weight several years ago, I don't know what he's been up to.

adder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2021, 10:51:51 am
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2016, 05:47:57 pm »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2016, 02:35:31 pm »
This one sucks because he was so young.  Car manufacturers really need to get their ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- together.

Maybe something good can come out of it, like no more Star Trek reboot films. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2016, 04:26:10 pm »
This one sucks because he was so young.  Car manufacturers really need to get their ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- together.

He had in in neutral, not in park.  So this isn't the typical Jeep sliding out of park and squishing you scenario.  Also Anton's driveway was a steep slope.

Either he was late getting to rehearsals and forgot to open the gates and jumped out of his jeep, without engaging the parking brake fully, or the hand brake failed completely.

We end up doing dumb things when we are late and rushing, and I think this is what happened.  Sad, unfortunate and a lesson for us all.

I know I won't be enjoying the next Star Trek film. 

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2016, 04:40:26 pm »

He had in in neutral, not in park.  So this isn't the typical Jeep sliding out of park and squishing you scenario.  Also Anton's driveway was a steep slope.

Either he was late getting to rehearsals and forgot to open the gates and jumped out of his jeep, without engaging the parking brake fully, or the hand brake failed completely.

We end up doing dumb things when we are late and rushing, and I think this is what happened.  Sad, unfortunate and a lesson for us all.

I know I won't be enjoying the next Star Trek film.

There is a recall out on those Jeeps because you cannot easily tell if you have it in park or not.  So it may not have been his fault. 

In any case, it sucks.  I enjoyed his performances as Chekov

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:58:22 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2016, 04:40:59 pm »
"The affected vehicles, which also include 2012-14 Dodge Chargers and Chrysler 300s, use an unconventional lever to shift the automatic transmission. Instead of moving to a different position with each gear, the lever returns to a center position. The driver must look at the shifter to make sure the proper gear is selected."

That's probably just about the dumbest design ever.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: June 21, 2016, 05:30:36 pm »
I have a 2015 Chrysler 200 sport with the as mentioned "unconventional lever" shifter. As far as i could have seen... this really shouldn't have been an issue with how the electonic ebrake/parking brake system is set up now. (his vehicle must have the regular kind of manually actuated parking brake system... or a system that needs software update to alter it's behaviour.)

the activation system I have consists of a toggle switch that you can pull up to activate, or push down into the panel to deactivate. (similar to newer power window switches)

with my car, if the door is opened and the shift lever is in anything but park, (reverse, neutral, drive, or sport mode) the emergency park brake AUTOMATICALLY activates as soon as the door is opened. i've never tried this at speed, but if you're rolling and you open the door it does stop you.

if the door is opened first and the lever is actuated from park, the parking brake will AUTOMATICALLY activate.

it can be manually overridden again after it activates. (for instance if you are trying to look out under the door to line up with some car ramps) simply push the button down.

other features of said parking brake include... if it's activated manually while in drive mode, it will lock the brakes down, but will automatically deactivate when you press on the gas. (i assume for steep hill starts)

For burnout mode, (I believe only available on the sport model) you have to pull and hold up the switch for the brake. Start your burnout and release the switch lever (only need to hold the first few seconds) then the rear brakes will stay on until you depress the switch at which time the brakes release.

as for the gear selection system, Mine is a interlocked detent rotary switch. not an up down type selection. you must have the brake applied to rotate the switch from park. each gear selection has it's own detent.

once into the "moving" gears they can be freely switched between the gears, reverse.. neutral.. drive without pressing the brake. vehicle movement is monitored and if the speed is too high to shift (for instance drive to reverse while still moving) the selector WILL move there, but the transmission will not shift to the selected gear to prevent damage. if this interlock has activated you must stop, shift to park and then back to gear again.

as it sits...it's a good system. it truly is, really, idiot proof.

I believe quite honestly his death could have been prevented with a simple system update. Period.

P.S.

If you don't know, you can simply call the dealership service department anytime and give them your VIN... they will tell you over the phone if you have outstanding recalls that need to be done. recalls regardless of age are done free of charge. I just got a recall done for a 2008 nissan with like 250,000 on it for a suspension spring issue. replaced both front springs and didn't cost me a penny.

so do it. do it. do it now. don't get your ass run over. call and find out if you have a recall. get it fixed before it kills you.

:soapbox:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #134 on: June 21, 2016, 05:41:17 pm »
That sounds like a lot of needless complication to compensate for an inherent design flaw.

What the hell were they thinking....

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2016, 08:19:06 pm »
I wouldn't say it's a design flaw per se...they just underestimated how retarded people can be and still manage to get a driver's license.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2016, 10:53:06 pm »
When the design of a shifter isn't "you move to position x and it shifts to gear x" then it's a design flaw.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2016, 12:09:59 am »
When the design of a shifter isn't "you move to position x and it shifts to gear x" then it's a design flaw.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 

but it does. unless you are trying to do something you shouldn't, then no, it doesn't. (for obvious reasons.) the aforementioned toggle shifter that  was used on some of the 2012 to 2014 300's is an exception. it was only used with one particular transmission/engine combo (not on all models)  since 2015 model year they have been changed to the rotary style knob. I haven't used that specific shift system before, but i'm pretty sure if you are stopped and want to put it in park, you could just hold the leaver up for a few seconds and it would default to park. while yes it's not a kerchunk okay we are here in this gear and have a positive stop system to ensure we are in park or drive or whatever kind of system, the onus is still on the operator to ensure their car is secure before leaving it. Much the same way I wouldn't place a running lawnmower on a hill and walk away.

Idiot proof something, and the world builds a better idiot. By all this idiot proof logic I suppose a column shifter that doesn't have a big spring attached to the dashboard to pull the leaver back to park if you take your hand off it... has a design flaw because it can be left in gear. I suppose a door that doesn't have a pulley system attached to it to pull the door closed when you sit in the seat has a design flaw, since you could leave the door open and fall out. I mean how far do you go to make something safe enough where the most lazy and inept person on the planet couldn't possibly kill themselves with this. Do you want to get out of your car and go... or do you want to do a 47 step vehicle movement interlock procedure so that the car knows damn well you are good and ready to get out?

The point i'm trying to get at is, Anton put his car in X when it should have been in Y... or thought he put it in X when he actually didn't. This isn't the vehicles fault. it doesn't matter what car on the planet you drive manual, automatic, leaver, shifter, or knob. car, truck, motorcycle or bulldozer.. if you leave it in drive, neutral, or reverse and you get out... it's probably going to run you over.  :dunno

I don't feel this is the fault of the vehicle manufacturer. Yes, An underestimation of how lazy, retarded, and inept people can be, showed a situation could occur where this could happen... but it was identified and a fix was put in place to prevent exactly this scenario.

Now, if Anton had taken his vehicle in to have the fix applied...he'd still be alive, regardless of accidentally leaving the vehicle in gear/being lazy/being stupid.

:soapbox:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2016, 12:40:18 am »
Why are you so determined to defend this poor, poor corporation?

:dunno

Thenasty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2016, 12:46:17 am »

Free VGA Breakout Cable

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2016, 01:19:17 am »
Why are you so determined to defend this poor, poor corporation?

:dunno

cause it's being made out that it was because an unsafe vehicle did this. vehicles are inherently unsafe machines, no different from a power saw. Let your guard down for one second and your done. Becoming complacent when operating a dangerous ANYTHING can kill you.

Anton was either an idiot who didn't place his vehicle in park before getting out, or he accidentally placed it into gear when he intended not to. i'd like to think the latter, but Americans (sorry) tend to fall into the former category.

either of these scenarios wouldn't have mattered had he done the recall. His death was 100% preventable by either paying due attention and making sure his vehicle was in park before getting out, or if he had done the recall fix on his vehicle, been negligent and STILL manage to come out alive.

his death is 100% senseless and i'm sure 100% brutally painful the whole time he was trapped. It pisses me off that it had to happen because it was with absolute certainty... preventable.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2016, 03:19:25 pm »
I certainly was preventable.... if the car had been designed properly there would have been no confusion... if it was built well there would have been no recall to worry about.

Sorry man but you are on the wrong side of this argument.   Because automobiles are very dangerous machines they have to be designed so even stupid people, who unfortunately still have to drive here in the USA, can work the controls. 

My mom bought a brand new Taurus in 2013... there have been FIVE recalls on the stupid thing.  She also couldn't get some of them fixed for some time because Ford was either backed up doing all the recalls, or they couldn't get the part(s) in because, again there are so many recalls. 

Considering how extremely hectic an actor's schedule can be I can absolutely see him forgetting or not bothering with the recall.  My mom have to wait SIX MONTHS to get one of them fixed and she was extremely diligent about staying on top of it. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2016, 01:30:02 am »
Caroline Ahern passed away recently.  My British cousins will remember her in the Mrs Merton Show and The Royle Family.

She will be missed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-27392549

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2016, 11:43:30 pm »
Directory Garry Marshal, age 81.  TV show Happy Days and movie Pretty Woman among his many works...

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2016, 12:06:53 am »
Directory Garry Marshal, age 81.  TV show Happy Days and movie Pretty Woman among his many works...
Man, he was quite a character himself. That sucks.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2016, 01:10:12 am »
I thought Garry Marshall already died.  So now I'm sad all over again.

Probably his best on screen performance was in A League of Our Own.... his daughter's film.  RIP Mr. Harvey.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2016, 05:27:50 pm »
RIP Miss Cleo, dey cards don't lie and you will be missed:

http://www.tmz.com/2016/07/26/miss-cleo-dead-psychic/

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2016, 05:52:33 pm »
Think she saw it coming?
%Bartop

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2016, 07:48:30 pm »
Think she saw it coming?

I missed making this joke on reddit too.

for frigginmysnatch

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2016, 08:43:08 pm »

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2016, 01:07:26 am »
David Huddleston, "The Big Lebowski," and "Santa Claus: The Movie" has passed at age 85
http://www.thewrap.com/david-huddleston-big-lebowski-star-dies-at-85/

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2016, 01:39:33 am »
Damn.  When Santa Claus dies you know the world is going to crap.  I frikkin LOVED that movie growing up. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2016, 07:51:22 am »
Kenny Baker passed away recently due to a short (sorry) illness.

I had the pleasure of meeting him.  He will be missed.

JimmyU

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:38:09 am
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #153 on: August 29, 2016, 12:48:23 pm »
Former WWF wrestler and manger, Mr. Fuji passes away at 82.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2016, 03:58:39 pm »
Willing Wonka Gene Wilder passed away today.

The umpa loompas will miss him.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: August 29, 2016, 04:55:32 pm »
Willing Wonka Gene Wilder passed away today.

The umpa loompas will miss him.

Dang. Poor old guy had Alzheimer's pretty bad... but he's been done and retired from movies for a long while now. I think it was his time.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2016, 12:29:08 am »
He was a personal hero of mine.  To those not familiar with his work, just watch anything clever and funny pre-1980  .... he was most likely in it. 

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2016, 01:01:49 am »
1 of his wife's passed away before him.. large loss rem Roseanna Roseanna  from ?

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2016, 11:16:53 am »
1 of his wife's passed away before him.. large loss rem Roseanna Roseanna  from ?

ed

Gilda Radner

Thenasty

• Offline Offline

Free VGA Breakout Cable