Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Multi-function machine. Need control help  (Read 3552 times)

oozing machismo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2016, 11:42:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Multi-function machine. Need control help
« on: December 16, 2015, 12:23:51 pm »
This forum is great.  I have been lurking for a while and not really much of a poster.  Your collective knowledge and experience is fantastic. 

I am lookin for some guidance on setting up a system that will be used for multiple functions.  I would like to be able to play Mame, some console emulators (mainly NES), and current gen fighters like Mortal Kombat X and SFV through my cabinet control panel.  I would also like to be able to run a ps2 emulator with a game pad to play all of my old ps2 games since my ps2 bit the dust.

My cab currently has an ipac2 but unfortunately, many of the newer generation games do not have the ability to allow two players to be controlled on one keyboard.  I have tried many work arounds to this (vjoy, etc) but those work arounds are mostly not compatible with Windows 10.

What are your thoughts?  Should I buy a new encoder like Kade so my controls are recognized as a game pad?  If I do that is the ability to play NES games lost due to the emulator not accepting game pad inputs?  Would a program like joy2key be useful?  Can I connect two encoders to the buttons so I could just switch the controls out when I want to play the newer of titles? 

Please, control gods, help a man out here.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
Re: Multi-function machine. Need control help
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 12:42:43 pm »
See if the "Xbox360 X-input Keyboard hack" thread stickied in the software forum works for you.
So far it works on everything BUT Injustice and MKX.

If you can't live without those games, I'd go with a pair of PS360's
http://www.focusattack.com/akishop-ps360-multi-console-joystick-pcb/
They will show up as xbox360 controllers.  Windows 10 shouldn't care, it should just see them as xbox360 controllers.

I'd still keep the ipac for the ESC button and any extra administrative buttons you want.
I find it handy to still have something post as the ESC key.  It's just hardwired into so many emulators.

I am using hacked xbox360 pads, but if I had it to do over again I'd just lay out money for the PS360's.

oozing machismo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 12:54:24 pm »
Are those recognized as game pads by the pc? 

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 12:56:20 pm »
The new iPac2 now supports Xinput and sees it as Xbox360 controllers.  (Needs the PacLink Adaptor)

http://ultimarc.com/ipac.html

Which version of the ipac2 do you have?  It needs to be the 2015 version.

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

oozing machismo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 01:02:03 pm »
It is not the 2015 version.  Can you switch it between keyboard and game pad?  Is it a manual switch?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 01:09:47 pm »
Are those recognized as game pads by the pc?

They will show up as xbox360 controllers.  Windows 10 shouldn't care, it should just see them as xbox360 controllers.

oozing machismo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 01:18:53 pm »
Thanks Bad Mouth.  I guess the root of the question is, will the fact that they are showing as gamepads impact my ability to use emulators?  Does the new ipac2 have functionality that allows it to be seen as both a keyboard and gamepad?  If so, how is this can you switch between the two?

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 01:21:38 pm »
If all else fails, you can easily (and I mean EASILY) convert gamepad inputs to keyboard inputs with Xpadder
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

oozing machismo

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 01:25:15 pm »
I've heard of xpadder.  How easy is it to switch between keyboard and gamepad inputs? 

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 01:31:05 pm »
Thanks Bad Mouth.  I guess the root of the question is, will the fact that they are showing as gamepads impact my ability to use emulators?

It varies by emulator.  It will work fine with MAME, PCSX2, Demul.
You might have to do an xpadder workaround for older emulators, but there are usually alternative emulators that support controllers.

As far as I know the Taito type X games only work with one controller, so a workaround is required for the 2 player games.
There are a lot of different versions of the games and loader out there though, so it could just be that way with the old ones I'm using.

Nothing works for everything out of the box.  IMO if you aren't going to use consoles, the keyboard encoder paired with the x360kb files from the stickied thread in the software forum is still the best option.
....unless you require it to play MKX.  Then you must have something that shows up as a controller, preferably an xbox360 controller.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 01:42:12 pm by BadMouth »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 01:34:34 pm »
I've heard of xpadder.  How easy is it to switch between keyboard and gamepad inputs?

I have not personally done this but apparently you can run AutoProfiles.  The AutoProfile feature automatically loads a selected profile when a certain game or application gets into focus.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.