Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Updating main games list with new versions of MAME in Maximus Arcade  (Read 15643 times)

Jonny G

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 05:59:46 pm
Hi all,

Ran into a problem the other day when trying to update my main games list in Maximus Arcade having just updated to 0.168. I get the error, "the following emulators have invalid media locations" which is apparently to do with the latest versions of mame having changes in the mame.xml.

I found a post on the forums about replacing all instances of "machine" with "game" in the XML but this hasn't helped.

What are other people doing when it comes to getting their front end games list up to date with new versions of MAME?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:34:21 am by DeLuSioNal29 »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
Re: Updating main games list with new versions of MAME
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 11:33:12 am »
If I remember correctly (and it's been a while, so forgive me if I'm inaccurate) if you change the rom location in Maximus Arcade it messes everything up.  So you need to keep the folder structure intact when updating your roms.  I believe it's case sensitive as well.

However, I haven't tried the new versions of MAME in ages.  (I've stopped using Maximus Arcade).

Here's stuff to try:
Make sure you set the "Path to media" to "long" in the preferences.

Have you tried selecting: "(6) Option to choose whether MAME game descriptions are gathered from "mame.dat" file or from MAME XML generated game list."

Also, Maximus tends to generate it's own MAME.XML.  Did you tried deleting it (make sure you back it up) so that Maximus will generate a fresh one?

Last but not least, the instructions say to edit the gamelist.xml, not the mame.xml:
"IMPORTANT NOTE: Newer versions of MAME (150 and above) require a modification to the 'gamelist.xml' file that is created by Maximus when you first run MAME. If you don't do this, you will get an "INDEX OUT OF RANGE" error. To fix this:
1.Open gamelist.xml with Notepad. This file is big, so it will take a minute to open.
2.Hit Ctrl+H on your keyboard to open Replace.
3.Next to 'find what:' type "machine" without the quotes. Next to the 'Replace with:' type "game" without the quotes.
4.Click the 'Replace All' button, wait for it to finish.
5.Hit Ctrl+S to save your changes and then you can close Notepad."

Edit:  Check out this topic.  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,145865.0.html

D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:51:31 am by DeLuSioNal29 »
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

Jonny G

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 05:59:46 pm
Re: Updating main games list with new versions of MAME in Maximus Arcade
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 05:22:18 pm »
Thanks man!

Got it working with both a .dat file and the .xml after setting path to long and doing the gameslist.xml edits.

2 odd things though, I couldn't get MA to generate its own mame.xml. I had to manually generate one with -listxml. No biggy but as I say, odd.

Second thing, wouldn't the batch rename of "machine" to "game" cause problems with any rom name containing the word "machine" in the title. Such as Machine Man? There may be more buts that's all I can find right now.

Thanks again though, that was really bugging me!

juan9999

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2019, 12:07:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Updating main games list with new versions of MAME in Maximus Arcade
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 04:25:47 am »
The first steps seem to have done it for me, as well as installing flash.

Where is the gamelist.xml located?  I can't find it