Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Some new items in queue.  (Read 9163 times)

chopperthedog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 11:32:30 pm
Some new items in queue.
« on: December 14, 2015, 07:55:22 pm »
Picked up this strange gaggle of items today.

Midway's Table Tennis wall game.

Table Tennis is an EM game (cool stuff).

***edit*** Fully working now. See reply #10 for pics and video.

Qty 2 Electrodart wall games.

Par - 3 - Golf.

Midway Space Zap cocktail. Wasn't even close to being on my list of wants, but this cab is way too cool. The single slot midway coin door is sooooo cute. Plus the thing is in great condition.

Cinematronics Flipper Ball. First game released by this particular company. TTL based video pinball that is just weird and cool.

There is an actuall doorbell chime inside this thing.

Some great documentation was included in the cab. 29 pages of detailed schematics. You can even see the call out for "front/back" terminals on the doorbell in the cab schematic.

Working status of each game is unknown. I'll update as I start pokin' through some of these things. Just thought I share some pics from a real odd grouping of games grabbed at once.

good day.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 02:01:19 pm by chopperthedog »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:41:11 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Some new items in cue.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 11:18:19 pm »
You're getting a nice little retro collection going there, Chopper. Good for you. It's nice seeing some oldies and rarities for a change.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Cobolisdead

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2017, 08:35:11 am
  • Restoring my 8th arcade machine, Mortal Kombat 2!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 08:42:21 am »
What, no Donkey Kongs?

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 09:05:41 am »
Queue.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 09:45:45 am »

chopperthedog

• Online Online
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 09:46:06 am »
Queue.
Awesome!!! Thank you for all the tips and your seemingly never ending depth of knowledge in the hobby.

good day.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:09:19 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Some new items in queue.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 09:55:21 am »
No problem, bro.

Good luck with those EM wall games.  I've seen plenty laying around over the years but have yet to encounter one that works.  Space Zap is a lot of fun.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 01:01:00 pm »
Nice finds!  Congrats!

Documentation?  You should preserve them by scanning them for others to use (if they have not already been done).

D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

chopperthedog

• Online Online
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 09:00:08 pm »

Yup, crappy low light cell pics. :P  Got both the Electro-Darts working today. Chips weren't getting 5v, couple capacitors, rewiring the coin box and the game started. Once I got it working all it needed was a good cleaning and all new bulbs. It didn't come with a remote, so I currently have 12' of 20ga speaker wire with a button. I'm not interested in finding an original, since the remote tech was awful in 1972. I'll be looking into some sort of modern remote switching set up. The game is kinda fun and simple. Nice to have some wasted space above the games occupied with something now. Didn't finish the 2nd since I ran out of bulbs. Who knew I would need to order 200 #47 bulbs this week.

good day.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 09:07:01 pm »
Sweet! Keep 'em coming!

chopperthedog

• Online Online
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 12:05:46 pm »
Got the dead Table Tennis up and running.  :applaud:

Pulled apart and degreased both motors and all moving parts. Grommets on both motors were jacked up bad. Cleaned all contacts throughout.

Shot a video of my game in action. The knocker coil is a neat touch.

good day.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 12:10:53 pm »
That is one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

:notworthy:
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 05:44:21 pm »
That table tennis is pretty sweet.  Thanks for posting the video.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 06:37:25 pm »
Love the Table Tennis game!  That is a serious throwback piece, awesome addition.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 01:41:25 am »
Wow!
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 01:05:01 pm »
I love seeing stuff like this being brought back

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 01:27:32 pm »
Chopper's threads are some of the best on this site and keep me coming back.  Love your stuff man, from model trains to crazy contraptions I never new existed, your collection is amazeballs. 

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 06:06:26 pm »
It reminds me of what Wii Tennis would have been like back then. Neat collection of stuff you have. Nice job fixing it too. Not too many people would even know what to do.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

chopperthedog

• Online Online
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 06:54:35 pm »
Thanks for the props guys!

@chuck careful, don't stroke me too much. I might start labeling my threads in the 3rd person  >:D. Seriously, thanks for the kind words. I don't start a thread every time that I fart in the hobby, but there are some things that I recognize that aren't very well documented that need to be seen. I like sharing this odd stuff.

One collectors trash is my treasure. My days were in the early 80's, but lets get real, most of that stuff can be done on a couple well done multi cabs. I've fallen in love with the odd, rare, cheap, dead junk of the 70's that no one gives a crap about. I have no formal training in electronics, but have gotten good over the years with my various hobbies with just staring at a schematic and reading up on stuff. A lot of that paid of with the gamble of the Star Shooter pinball I got recently http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147394.0.html. There's also a certain rush to buying something broken for super cheap, complete, original, in good condition and to get it working again.

There is virtually no documentation on Table Tennis. All my search wordings for a manual or schematic led to nothing. I had never worked on anything EM before and wasn't really sure how far I would actually get with getting this thing working. The hardest part was figuring out how the 4 conductors going to the coin got connected. The coin box has ground, lock out coil, reset/start button and coin switch. There was no evidence of connection colors left in the box.

So that turned into plucking around with my meter and reading all the little strips that call out what each relay does. Once I had the proper coin box connections the relays clicked into action upon coin up and triggered power to the motors that led to a loud hum (quickly pull the f'ing plug!!!!). Between the awful to non existent motor mounts and the 44yo grease still on all parts, nothing was moving. I started with disconnecting the motors connection to the main shaft on each unit, coined up and the motors turned under their own power. Once that happened I at least knew all the motors still worked, it turned into pulling everything that was part of both motor units for a complete detailing/gegreasing/inspection. I learned a ton about the actual operation of the machine (which is f'ing fascinating) in the process.

Unlike most EM stuff both motors in this game are constantly turning during game play and specific reels are allowed to turn with the release of a solenoid at certain states of the game. I'll brush over what I learned about this thing.

A: is a 12v dc motor that is what I call the "cpu" of the game. A1: is the game code reel and ball animation reel. A2 is the paddle animation reel. A3: is a board that controls the speed of the ball and paddle motor which is randomized by the "speed advance index" relay.

B: Control motor, that handles credit accounting and scoring. It is made up of 2 brush less ac motors that are mounted face to face but reversed. Only one motor is used at the specific time and the other is just along for the ride. Each motor spins in a specific direction, 1 for resetting score reels and the other for adding credits and scoring. B1: Since the motors constantly turn the main shaft at all times, there are a number of "slip clutches" in each unit. It was all those plates springs and washers that I needed to keep a handle on when detailing (there are no parts explosion diagrams for this thing).

C: Is part of the wireless operation that originally came with the game and is not used. Small board is power supply for larger 2ch remote board. It was a factory option to have wired or wireless remotes. Obviously the wired operation is much better for game play eliminating the delay of old ass rf tech. C2: calls out the areas where the original wired remotes would have been installed for each player. C3 was for the armored cable going to coin box. The gray cable that mine came with has 8 conductors and was use for coin box and controls. I utilized it, but shortened / cleaned it all up and added a molex connector inside the main unit that connects to the coin box.

Just an absolute marvelous piece of historical hardware I'm proud to have fixed and play.

good day.

Tighe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2023, 10:19:57 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 10:28:09 pm »
Thanks Chopper for this thread! I picked up two Table Tennis games and a World Series Today, if you could give me the wiring soecs for the coin box and remotes I would appreciate it as these didn't come with them.
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=369472

chopperthedog

• Online Online
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 10:54:19 pm »
@Tighe, nice score. I'm setting sail on the moody blues cruise tomorrow (band I work for is part of it). I'll be back March 2 and can provide any info you need.

good day.

Tighe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 11:38:16 pm »
@Tighe, nice score. I'm setting sail on the moody blues cruise tomorrow (band I work for is part of it). I'll be back March 2 and can provide any info you need.

good day.
Awesome thanks!

chopperthedog

• Online Online
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 09:17:55 pm »
Awesome thanks!
Any updates?

Continued from my other thread with my dead Extra Bases: So at first I thought it was a dead switching power supply and did some initial tests and all was good with supply. Something in the astrocade board cage was shutting down the power supply instantly. I was able to narrow it down to an issue with a short somewhere in the 12v circuit. After some further testing it was narrowed down specifically to the ram card. Started poking around and found that the tantalum capacitor at C2 was shorted. I was able to borrow one from another ram card and the Extra Bases was working again!!!

After that little hurdle, it got me thinking back to the Space Zap cocktail that did the same thing during my initial tests back in December. Checked the cap on the 12v rail of both of the ram cards and discovered one of those were shorted as well.

I swapped out C2 with one borrowed from another board and figured what the hell, lets see what the dead Space Zap board cage does after finding the shorted cap.

So now I've got a working Space Zap board cage. Full steam ahead with cleaning and fixing the cocktail table now.

good day.

Tighe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2016, 08:34:46 am »
Space Zap looks cool with that overlay and bezel.

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2024, 12:19:16 pm
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2016, 12:22:07 pm »
Chopper, the Pinball Ninja (Clay Harrell) has a really good guide to a holistic approach for working on EM pinballs.  http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm The principals on the em games you have are identical.  In pins the constantly running motor "brain" is called the score motor and it's in the lower cabinet usually.  you already have a great working knowledge but there are some gem's in his process.  for instance, the diagnostic process being heavily visual since you can see every part of the circuit- disconnected wires, bent switch leaves, etc.  He has also figured out the best way to restore and lube stepper units, etc.  I never had any help on EM repairs, I learned it all from him.  His blog site is good too - requires a donation to his museum in Michigan. 

chopperthedog

• Online Online
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 03:51:54 pm »
Space Zap looks cool with that overlay and bezel.
It's actually a big plastic bowl behind a mirror. More pics here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,144098

Thanks TopJimmy, I stumbled upon some of stuff with searches and got some good info. Watched a bunch of vids from "havepinwilltravel" I think. He has some helpful info as well.

good day.

bwave_dave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2021, 10:40:11 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2021, 12:08:56 pm »
Chopperthedog,
I know this is an old topic, but I'm new to the forum and was hoping I could get some help from you. I recently acquired two Dart Skill Wall games and am having trouble finding any information on them.  From what I did find, the wireless controls were identical to Electro-Dart which I see from this post you have 2 of and fixed.  Dart Skill is also a TTL based game with an almost identical concept.  One wireless controller and you alternate between which player throws the darts.  I don't have the wireless controller for the units so I was trying to figure out which wires are triggered by the controller.  The receiver board has three conductors coming off of it: red, green and black.  Is it a simple contact closure across two of them for one player and two for the other?  Thanks 

pmoore66

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2022, 09:54:28 am
  • EM pinball guy - 70's Williams focused
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2022, 09:46:07 am »
Chopperthedog:
Just wanted to say thank you again for taking time to dissect your Table Tennis game. I am carrying the torch with more photos over at Pinside. I am an EM pinball guy and have always wanted to dig into one of these wall games. I spent too much for a complete TT machine but I really wanted the original wireless controllers. Appreciate all you have provided here.