Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wireless Xbox 360 controller USB/Raspberry Pi mod  (Read 4224 times)

knulen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2015, 07:33:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Wireless Xbox 360 controller USB/Raspberry Pi mod
« on: December 09, 2015, 04:47:16 am »
I want to connect a wireless Xbox 360 Controller to a Raspberry Pi through USB. But what I've read here, http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/18504/can-i-connect-a-wireless-xbox-360-controller-to-pc-with-a-play-charge-cable , this isn't possible just by using the usb port. Is there some sort of mod to use some pinouts of the xbox controller board to make this usb connection work?

Because I want to build something like this:
https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2015/11/raspberry-pi-zero-hidden-in-an-xbox-controller/
But I don't want to use 2 cables, USB + HDMI. I just want to use HDMI and let the xbox controller and RBP be powered by the battery pack of the wireless controller.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Wireless Xbox 360 controller USB/Raspberry Pi mod
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 04:32:47 pm »
Nope.... wireless 360 gamepads can't be made wired... that's just a charging port.  You can get a wireless adaptor though.  The knockoffs can be had for just a couple of bucks.  I think you could potentially cram one in there. 

That being said, I'm not sure why you are hung up on the gamepad being wireless  you are going to have to plug it into a monitor and that is a wire.  If the monitor in question has a hdmi port, it most likely has a usb port, or one nearby.  Take your two cables.... zip tie them together and power the whole thing from the tvs usb. 

knulen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 06:03:51 pm »
I wanted wireless so it already has an build in battery. I've got a hdmi cable of 3 meters, but the longest usb cable I have is one meter. But I think I can use a wired controller (and as it seems, I don't really have a choice haha) and combine it with these two components: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/EMS-Free-shipping-CPT-320WF01C-WB-Logic-board-High-quality-Hot-sale/621434051.html

And as a power source I have two options:
I got a few un-protected 18650's but I also have two (almost new) iOcean X7 batteries like this: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/In-Stock-2000MAh-Original-battery-For-iocean-X7-cell-phones-smartphone-external-battery-atterij-Free-shipping/32270760792.html

Do I need the booster module to connect the TP4056 board to my Raspberry Pi? I have no idea what the output of the OUT-/OUT+ is? (I don't have much experience with electronics)

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 06:35:58 pm »
You are seriously overthinking the whole thing.  You don't need a battery.  In fact, a battery is pointless.  Spend the $2 and get a USB cord to match the HDMI cord.  Plug both into the TV.  Use that USB to power the Pi.  No batteries, no converters.

knulen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 07:06:48 pm »
But I like the idea to include a battery haha. Without a battery is already done, with isn't

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 03:01:42 am »
But I like the idea to include a battery haha. Without a battery is already done, with isn't

Nobody has used a battery because it's pointless and unnecessary. The entire reason the pi zeros usb port is used for a power connector is because.....wait for it.... a usb port is meant to power the unit.    Batteries would make the device terribly inconvenient.  A gamepad with rumble eats through batteries like nobodies business, not to mention the fact that they add weight to the gamepad and take up a lot of room you could be using for the pi pcb.  The only way it would make sense is if you also attached a portable monitor and then you'd need to resort to lithium ion battery packs to properly power everything and smaller monitors typically don't have hdmi inputs.

Regardless, a usb powered design is simpler and there is a rule with electronics projects...... K.I.S.S.  (Keep It Simple Stupid)  You should adhere to it at all times because the more complex a build is, the less likely it is to work and the more likely it is to have component failure somewhere down the line. 

Please don't ask for advice if you aren't willing to take it.  That seems to be a growing trend right now.