Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Midway's Winner II (1973)  (Read 3164 times)

chopperthedog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:18:18 pm
Midway's Winner II (1973)
« on: December 05, 2015, 01:15:23 am »
Sooooo, this thing is pretty F'ing cool.... I've been fortunate to meet many cool peeps in the hobby local to me and my number got passed along which led to a text that said "free, complete, need this gone ASAP". Forty minutes later it was in my truck on the way home. Very sexy pong clone from 1973 and Midway was the only company that actually had a license through Atari to produce their clones.

Midway even cloned the cab shape, but they did do a much better job with artwork and cab vibe.

The mirrored line are sweet.

Remote TV controls.

Odd carryover from the EM division for game timing and credit accounting.

Look mom!!!!!, no CPU!!

The original hack sawed TV. Midway couldn't stroll down to Wells & Gardner and get arcade monitors in 1973.

Tube date 49th week of 1972.

What a sweet historical freebie of an acquisition. I just wanted to share some initial photos. Gonna be really pawing over this thing and getting a list together of all the various caps and transistors throughout the cab, but Space Encounters is first in line.  :cheers:

good day.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Midway's Winner II (1973)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 02:08:28 am »
Another sweet pickup! Does it play?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Token

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2021, 03:45:43 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 08:43:36 am »
Love the monitor bezel trapezoid shape and the artwork. I was wondering why it was asymmetrical until I saw the TV.

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:18:18 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 05:25:41 pm »
Another sweet pickup! Does it play?

NOW IT DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :cheers: :applaud: :cheers: :applaud: :cheers: :applaud:

Checked over a bunch of things. There were about 20 loose chips and the edge connector is jacked and needs to be replaced stat. Game plays with all sounds, but the player 2 pot is shot.

Now to start making a list of caps and sh!t.

good day.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 06:12:50 pm »
Just noticed that Winner II is listed here on the Undumped Wiki.
This page lists undocumented, undumped and/or unemulated discrete logic arcade machines (primarily video arcade machines) - those that lack CPUs - for which we need to obtain schematics, high definition PCB photos, ROM dumps, and/or PCBs themselves to properly simulate the games in MAME.

As machines are simulated and added to MAME, they will be added to the Documented list. If you think there's a game missing from this list, please check that first!

The PCB looks like Pong -- not surprising since it was a licensed clone as you mentioned earlier.   ;D

Scott

JimmyU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 11:11:58 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:49:22 am »
Looking good Chopper. You really are starting a nice collection of vintage Midway games.