Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Do you guys cover up mistakes or are you just that good?  (Read 12437 times)

Soundwave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2017, 05:13:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Do you guys cover up mistakes or are you just that good?
« on: December 04, 2015, 08:07:17 pm »
I have a table saw, circle guides, laser guided saws...halfway decent tools but nothing fancy. I have Craftsman not Dewalt, but one thing I always notice is that I can't always get an absolute perfect cut where everything fits together nicely...not without a gap here or what have you. Usually I have to rely on sanding and wood filler a lot. I have a heck of a time measuring my table saw blade to my guide to make dead certain it's true but yet I always get some boards that gradually angle off a tad or like my kick panel, somehow became a good 1/8 inch off...Just curious from you seasoned wood workers, do you guys always make perfect cuts or do you often have to cover up mistakes?

My cab is almost done but I've made quite a few mistakes that I'll have to cover up....in a way it bugs me. I also have some pieces that I wish I done differently but at this point would require a complete redo and to be honest I'm half tempted to just start all over however I don't think none of it would be noticeable from the outside once it's done and very little inside if I paint it.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Re: Do you guys cover up mistakes or are you just that good?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 08:24:48 pm »
I've learned you get better with practice. When I started I made tons of mistakes.... now I can build outdoor furniture with precision. Tools help,  but practice is key.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 08:27:34 pm »
It's funny, one of the best woodworkers I have ever seen on here named himself "woodshop flunky," I think what Yotsuya says is pretty profound.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 08:29:54 pm »
PRO TIP:  Never saw to the measured line.  Saw just outside and sand up to the line.  At least, until you've had a ton of practice.  (Like Yots said)

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 08:33:57 pm »
I make mistakes all the time. The trick is taking the picture at just the right angle to hide it.
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 08:39:13 pm »
Yep sand paper - wood filler and Bondo will cover up pretty much any mistake on the wood and once you apply a few coats of paint even you will have a hard time finding where the mistake was - so someone that isn't looking for it will never notice !

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 09:06:31 pm »
My dad used to say that a good part of woodworking is learning how to fix or hide your mistakes.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 11:07:55 pm »
Mistakes? We don't make no damn mistakes!

Just kidding. No ones perfect.

I am a perfectionists, which sucks especially since I'm disorganized and I have attention issues.
But I drive myself crazy trying to do every task to perfection.
Sometimes I realize how something on a neighbors house looks so good from the road but then up close, I see the little flaws. It helps me to realize that sometimes good enough is good enough.

Remember that the cabinets you see on here are photos. Often taken at the most flattering angles.
A lot of little blemishes aren't visible in those pics.

Nothing wrong with using filler to clean things up.
A mistake isn't a mistake until you stop trying to fix it.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence until you hop that fence and step in the poop.

Token

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2021, 03:45:43 pm
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 12:47:21 am »
When I lived 25 minutes away from the nearest hardware store I was much more careful. Now it takes 3 minutes to get there and I just hack away.

The best thing about lumber is that it grows on trees.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 02:55:38 am »
    Every project creates not only a new experience, but an excuse to buy a new tool for that project, (buy quality) over time your tools determine what your capable of.... Depending on what your actually doing or plan to do a jointer (even a good used one) can create absolute awesome perfection, in terms of fitting shaping or (rabbiting) of wood. Although that's only one girls opinion, it is certainly the kind of thing that will up your game.... Or slice your fingers off.   

Soundwave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2017, 05:13:23 pm
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2015, 06:58:26 am »
Well how do you guys set your guide on your table saw to make sure it's true and exact width? I mean mine can sometimes be a hair or so off once I lock it down. The only way I can think of is to run my tape measure from edge of blade to the guide and at least get within a couple of cm's. I just don't trust the measure on the table saw, just seems when you extend the side arm that it's going to be off regardless.

I would be fine if I could do all my cuts on one day where I don't have to re set my table saw each time but I only have a couple hours to work on it each day, been nearly 2 months now and I'm still not ready for sanding yet.
Another problem is when I need to create an angle to make 2 ends flush but say I have a board that is at a 60 degree slope and I want the adjacent board to sit flush up against it, I seem to have problems cutting the right angle on the edge of the 2 boards so that they butt up together right. Now an L shape pattern is easy as I just cut each end to 45 degrees to make the 90 but for some reason other angles trip me up or my table saw just isn't accurate enough, dunno. Most other degree markers are just lines
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:03:49 am by Soundwave »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 10:40:57 am »
Well how do you guys set your guide on your table saw to make sure it's true and exact width? I mean mine can sometimes be a hair or so off once I lock it down. The only way I can think of is to run my tape measure from edge of blade to the guide and at least get within a couple of cm's. I just don't trust the measure on the table saw, just seems when you extend the side arm that it's going to be off regardless.

That is EXACTLY how I do it.

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 11:12:18 am »

That is EXACTLY how I do it.

+1, Use your tape for measuring between the fence and the blade teeth of the blade. The measurements on the table saw itself are not (always) good enough.

Also, If you find your cuts are veering off and not perfectly straight it's because of the fence on your table saw. As you push the wood through, the blade will ever so slightly "kick" the wood towards the fence and wedge it in there making the cuts not perfectly square. The only true way to overcome this completely is to use a table saw sled.

As for angles, the Digital Sliding T-Bevel Gauge can really help. Takes all the guesswork out of matching up 2 angles.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 11:22:12 am by vwalbridge »
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 11:20:38 am »
My dad had a cabinet saw that was dialed in perfectly. You could make cuts reliably off the fence gauge. With my saw I use my tape measure to set up every cut.

For angle cuts I like to use scrap pieces of wood to test with. You can adjust your saw blade and take as many cuts as needed with the scrap. Once I have two samples that fit the angle I want I'll cut my final workpieces. You use the scrap sample pieces to set the angle of your blade. Just put the sample piece against the blade and adjust the angle until they match.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2015, 02:06:12 pm »
   You may want to make sure your bearings are not all wore out before you get to all that. If your blade has a wobble,  Well the cut will be less than perfection, My tablesaw cuts wood, but does tend to drift on long pieces, The fence would be another area to address, other than the fact most are too short to accurately line a work piece up to without a jig, Some middle of the road machines will not stay put and will move during the cut... A well set up jointer on the other hand, isn't a magic pill either, They are dangerous, heavy and high maintenance, but are actually designed for what your talking about.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 02:08:23 pm by jennifer »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 03:38:38 pm »
When I want a long straight and very precise cut, I just use my cut-off router bit and run it along side a straight edge clamped to the board.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 04:30:48 pm »
Something else to keep in mind.  Use the same measuring tool for the whole project.  Seriously.  If you want to hurt your brain, go to the hardware store and grab a bunch of tape measures off the wall.  Doesn't matter which ones.  Different brands, same brand, different model, same model.  They will all be ever so slightly off from each other.  If you use different tapes, or a tape and a ruler, or any other combo, those slight differences will compound on each other and ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- goes south.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2024, 05:09:52 pm
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 09:32:15 pm »
Soundwave - I need to create an angle to make 2 ends flush. This has become one of my most used tools - EBAY iGaging 11" Electronic Digital Protractor. Cheap and easy to slide up against your saw blade to accurately cut angles.
Well how do you guys set your guide on your table saw to make sure it's true and exact width? I first use a tape to mark my original piece. I then set the table saw and cut a sacrificial piece. I then check this against the original - If both match - good to go:).
Great post from Slippyblade - Use the same measuring tool for the whole project. When each measurement needs to be exact, great advice!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2015, 09:36:16 pm »
I'm sure there are quite a few people on here turning out perfection.
I am not one of them.

I have a cheap $90 table saw.  It's a craftsman "evolve" which is the same things as Rigid from home depot.
It is the worst table saw I've ever used.  I measure from the blade to the guide on both the front and back edges of the blade.
After that, it's just hoping for the best.

I start out with measurements, but then switch over to the "story pole" method of measurement.  If I need a matching width or length cut, I'll use the already cut piece as a guide to mark a stick and then use the stick instead of using a numerical measurement.

I also have trouble with the angled joints like you're talking about.  I blame the cheap table saw.
My father had a cast iron craftsman saw that I cut dozens of near perfect subwoofer enclosures on it in my younger years.
I just can't get them right on my table saw.  They always seem to have a curve on one side or the other...or one side is wider than the other like the guide moved.
This was an issue on the neo geo evolution cab linked in my signature.
Getting the nice seams on the front took multiple tries.
I used bondo on the back.
The panels are recessed about a quarter inch from the edges of the sides.
The angled piece on the top/back is almost flush with the edge of the sides.
I couldn't get it right and gave up since it isn't seen anyway.

No, I didn't show pictures of it in my build thread.  ;)

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 04:41:13 pm
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2015, 08:52:12 am »
There are two phrases to keep in mind.  "Measure twice, cut once."  And "sneak up on it".  I am sure you have heard the former, and the latter means sneak up on your dimensions.  Take your measurement and cut it on the too big side.  Test fit your cut piece and use a sharp pencil to mark how big it is and shave off a little more.  I make furniture as a hobby and use hand planes to sneak up on fits, shaving out a couple thousandths of an inch at a time just to give you an idea how close a fit you can get.  Make sure your tools are in good working order.  You can get great cheap tools and bad expensive ones.  One tool I would not cheap out on, however, is a table saw.  Those cheap $90 jobbers are *extremely* unsafe and inaccurate.  You are better off just flat out dumping those things. 

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2015, 10:36:31 am »
Speaking of "not cheaping out on" tools...

If you do anything right, get a good router. Routers are invaluable and especially when building arcades. With a good router, you can do almost anything.

Heck, I could argue that a good router can almost replace a table saw.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 08:15:46 pm »
I would rather run a circular saw against a straightedge than any table saw in my budget. Feels much safer to me, unless you have a table big enough to support what you're cutting.

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2015, 03:23:26 pm »
I would rather run a circular saw against a straightedge than any table saw in my budget. Feels much safer to me, unless you have a table big enough to support what you're cutting.

That is an excellent point!  A circular saw with straight edge or saw board can make a very accurate, good quality cut.  Even just a cheap sub $50 saw with a good quality blade can do fantastic.

My 2c on table saws is don't get it if it doesn't have a riving knife.  You're looking at the Bosch or Rigid job site saws around $400-500 as I recall as the cheapest I would consider safe to use.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2015, 01:50:39 pm »
I agree with using a circular saw with a straight edge.
And while good quality tools are important,
ingenuity, will & drive are what's most important in order to do a quality job.

On top of that, there's usually someone to borrow stuff from.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2015, 02:50:37 pm »
I dunno, I have a router, circular saw, miter saw, and table saw, and I use the table saw 99% of the time.

I think I've learned more than anything in the last 5 years, PATIENCE is the best tool to have.  :cheers:

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2015, 02:53:59 pm »
I think I've learned more than anything in the last 5 years, PATIENCE is the best tool to have.  :cheers:

You must have kids.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2015, 03:01:07 pm »
I dunno, I have a router, circular saw, miter saw, and table saw, and I use the table saw 99% of the time.

Same here. I usually only pull those other tools out if I either can't or am not comfortable making the cut on table saw. It is such a versatile tool.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2015, 05:58:17 pm »

Yeah true, if you have a table saw. I guess I meant more of if you don't have one or are contemplating
Getting a very cheap one.

For me, I don't have one but my father in law has a nice work shop just 5 minutes down the road.
It's easy enough to go there and do cuts but sometimes I just find it easier to do it at home with hand powe tools

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2015, 06:03:43 pm »
I actually bought my table saw a few years ago to do wood flooring, so if you get one for this hobby, I'm sure you can find many other uses.

But yes, a straight edge and a circular saw are the bare minimum.

markc74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 11:38:06 pm
  • Flipping out
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137295.0.html
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2015, 06:06:37 pm »
Jigsaw and a router did 99% of my cabs. The other 1% was 300 sheets of sandpaper  ;D

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2015, 06:48:55 pm »
     I cant believe you guys are trying to talk each other out of buying a table saw, It is the basis of any decent shop, A router yes does make a quality cut but buy design you are holding a high power/torque motor in your hand, requiring more work by the operator for long cuts, A table (where the motor is bolted to it)  absorbs this energy, and when set up correctly allows for jigs, springboards and the like.... If you guys are going to use your routers like that a router table would be in your best interest allowing at least allowing for jointer operations.... However quality (above table bit changes) is not cheap and a table saw is a better buy. 

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • North East, US
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2015, 07:31:40 pm »
I don't think anyone's trying to talk anyone out buying a table saw.

Yes it's a great tool to have but its not in everyone's budget.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2015, 12:30:41 am »
Hmmm... if dudes will drop $350 on LED buttons or $500 on a monitor for a marquee, they shouldn't have an issue budgeting $400 for a decent table saw.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:33:02 am by yotsuya »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2015, 12:39:11 am »
Hmmm... if dudes will drop $350 on LED buttons or $500 on a monitor for a marquee, they shouldn't have an issue budgeting $400 for a decent table saw.

That's what I was thinking as well.

artyfarty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 03:35:15 am
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2015, 12:44:52 am »
I'm with markc. Jigsaw to get close, and a straight edge for a router plus flush trim bit gave me great results for little outlay. I would certainly recommend this for a first time builder trying to get clean cuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2015, 01:03:15 am »

I agree too, but let's be honest...if they are buying a table saw for the first time to build an arcade machine it's because they never needed one before. So when their build is done, they likely will not ever need it again. They would simply rather put the dollars in the cabinet and not the tools. This is why you see guys say they borrowed their neighbor's router or got their father-in-law's table saw on loan.

I see value it a tool's long term return, others see it as a means to an end.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:05:16 am by vwalbridge »

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2015, 12:34:05 pm »
@OP: As stated, a good table saw is the foundation of any decent woodworking shop.  If you are doing intricate joinery with hardwoods, then sanding and making corrections is always going to be necessary, but if you are talking about joining sheet stock together, the first thing to do is tune up your tools and learn to use them properly.  If you don't have the means to get a decent table saw fence, then learn how to make an accurate and straight cut with the one you have.  MOST fences are not self squaring, so you need to measure both the distance from the blade to the fence on the front of the blade AND on the back.  As stated, use the same measuring tool as much as you can.

A T-Square fence is one of the most valuable tools to a woodworker.  I prefer Biesemeyer, but as long as it is a decent quality T-square fence, you can rely on it to make straight cuts.  If you tune it up right and take care of it, it will be accurate.  I haven't used my tablesaw in over 6 months, and I have dragged it around the shop, stacked stuff on it, etc, yet I could go out there right now and using only the fence to measure, get within 1/32 of an inch on a rip.  If I take the time to dial it in, re-square everything from scratch, and set it all up again, I can rely on cuts accurate to 1/64th, and this is using a 35 year old Delta contractor saw base.  I bought the saw used 13 years ago for $300, paid $300 for the fence, and built a table myself that turns it pretty much into a cabinet saw.  I went with the 50" contractor fence and built the table to handle it.  Then I built detachable feed tables so when it is all set up I can rip 4x8 sheets alone and always do them perfectly and safely.  I used to build enclosures for subwoofers for car and home stereo systems.  Those require air-tight seams in order to get the best results, and I built hundreds and hundreds over the years.  The difference between a good tool and a crappy one (when the user is skilled) is the amount of time it takes to get a good result.  If you use cheap tools you will probably spend more time setting up, making accurate cuts, and then correcting mistakes than if you had better tools.

As for buying a table saw and never using it, I disagree completely.  There are a few power tools every "handyman" should own.  A drill, a skilsaw, a router, and a tablesaw.  Add in a few hand tools like a hammer, screwdrivers, some clamps, and a couple chisels, and you could build anything from an end table to an entire house with your tools.  A table saw is the foundation of a woodworking shop.  I am just a hobbyist these days and I might go a year without touching my tablesaw.  But I bet over the last 13 years I have run well over 10,000 feet through that saw.  Every project I do, whether it is a home renovation project, building furniture or cabinets, or just tinkering with wood in the shop ends up with me using the table saw sooner or later.  Sure, you could get away without one (between a router and a skilsaw) but face it, there is no better tool to rip a 1/2" strip of hardwood off a 10' long 3/4" wide oak board.  Try doing that with your skillsaw and a guide... at a 10.5 degree angle. 

As for mistakes, we all make them.  A good woodworker is good at covering up mistakes.  When using MDF or plywood, it might be inconvenient to start over, but it won't break the bank if you make a bad cut.  When using hardwoods that cost $4-$15 per board foot, you make a mistake and it is a choice between spending another $200 on materials or just making an adjustment and covering up the mistake.  With hardwoods you usually can't just bondo and move on, the finished product will be stained and sealed, so sometimes it is unavoidable to just start over with mistakes.  The more you learn and the more patience you have, the fewer mistakes you will make and usually they will be small enough to be able to be fixed without it affecting your project. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2015, 12:40:09 pm »

I agree too, but let's be honest...if they are buying a table saw for the first time to build an arcade machine it's because they never needed one before.

The counter I would say to that statement is that once you have it, you discover a lot of uses for it that make you realize you should have bought one a lot earlier. :cheers:

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2015, 01:15:23 pm »
   My first, A used 50.00 Rockwell, served me good for a lot of years,  I really wonder if most people even know what a T/S is even capable of, rip a board and that's it, or actually utilize the miter functions, and use it like it was ment to be....Jennifer must confess @ this point, the blade guard, goes right into the dumpster, I just don't feel safe not knowing where the blade is at any given time.

EvilNuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2015, 02:03:35 pm »
     I cant believe you guys are trying to talk each other out of buying a table saw, It is the basis of any decent shop...

Oh I am not trying to talk anyone out of buying a table saw.  I am trying to talk people out of buying cheap, unsafe, table saws.  I think they are so bad and so unsafe that nobody should own one...period.  If you want a table saw (and yes I encourage you getting one, and learning how to use it safely) start with the rigid/bosh jobsite saws that have a riving knife for about $400ish.