Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My Super Bubble Fighter II Turbo - Street Fighter v Bubble Bobble Mashup project  (Read 12876 times)

vaderag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2023, 05:11:02 am
  • Building my own cab :)
I joined this forum to get some help with building a controller (my version of something akin to an X-Arcade), but my real desire had always been to build a cab.

My wife told me we didnt have room, and i talked myself into that opinion, but how some forum badgering changes things... I have now begun the plans for my first build! This all started over here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,148328.0.html

Anyway, today I ordered the monitor that i'm going to use in this thing - a 24" 16:10 Samsung which (hopefully - i'll know for sure when it shows up) i got a bit of a bargain on as it came without a stand (which of course, i dont need!)

This will be a slow build - we've just had a baby, I don't have a garage or any work space other than outside, and we're starting to hit the depths of winter here in the UK. But it will be built!!

I'm building based off the well used OND designs, and my next step will be to order the wood and decide on artwork (in case this alters the CP layout)

Borrowed a router and circular saw. Never used a router before, so will be a learning experience too!

Control plans are as follows:
Player 1 - ServoStik Red Ball Top, (ServoStik Control Board), 7 x Ultralux Two Tone Translucent Illuminated Pushbuttons Includes LED
Player 2 - as above but J-Stik Ball Top instead

Trackball - U-TRAK FlushMount Arcade Trackball with Optional Trim Bezel for U-Trak and RGB LED illumination for trackball.

Pinball Flippers - GoldLeaf Pushbuttons
Other buttons - Shift Button / 2x Start / 2x Coin

Interface - I-PAC 2 and PacLED64 LED Controller

At the moment I'm leaning towards a (well used) Street Fighter II design - something akin to the original cab with the retro 80's funk look. This may change as i investigate more, but SF seems logical to me as it was the game i played in my youth. Other thoughts are Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Lunar Lander or Bubble Bobble... I'm not generally a fan of the 'MAME' type looks, but if i come across something i like i may change my mind...

So... there we have it. It may be a while before I post here again (dependent on peoples comments), but since this build is officially happening I wanted to get my post up :)

Thanks in advance for all you guys help and support - without this forum this wouldnt be happening!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:43:29 am by vaderag »

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:15:03 am
  • Just because.
Re: So the [name tbc] cabinet project has begun!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 01:35:31 pm »
my next step will be to [...] decide on artwork (in case this alters the CP layout)

The artwork has to be designed around the CP layout, not the other way round. Believe me, you want perfect controls and maybe less stellar art rather than having a cool looking CP with ---fouled up beyond all recognition---  controls  :)

Other buttons - Shift Button / 2x Start / 2x Coin

You don't need a dedicated shift button. You can assign the shift button via the IPAC software, typically it's player 1 start.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 01:44:22 pm »
my next step will be to [...] decide on artwork (in case this alters the CP layout)

The artwork has to be designed around the CP layout, not the other way round. Believe me, you want perfect controls and maybe less stellar art rather than having a cool looking CP with ---fouled up beyond all recognition---  controls  :)

Yeah, i may not have been quite clear what I mean... I already have a plan on layout, but I was thinking I will need the actual artwork in hand so that if there is a mm or two difference I can make sure it all lines up when I drill

You don't need a dedicated shift button. You can assign the shift button via the IPAC software, typically it's player 1 start.

So can it still function as p1 start if I use it as shift? Didn't realise that...

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:15:03 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 02:20:29 pm »
Yes, the shift button works normally if you just press and release it, holding it down and pressing another button triggers the shift function.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 11:40:40 am »
Yes, the shift button works normally if you just press and release it, holding it down and pressing another button triggers the shift function.

awesome

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 12:26:13 pm »
Monitor arrived today
It was relatively cheap, marked as Grade B as it was missing a stand. Turns out a bit more than just missing a stand - quite a lot of light bleed round the edges too, especially visible on black. Plus there's a stick pixel smack in the middle (tho I could deal with that)

Just debating whether the light bleed is acceptable or not... It's going to be behind tinted plexi, so figure that should offset most of the problem...

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 05:20:19 am »
So after playing with the monitor I decided to compare it to my existing PC monitor.

Lo and behold, that was 16:10 and I never realised. It also happens to be 27"

SO... i've decided to use the new 24" as my PC monitor and use the 27" in my cab build :)

Win win situation :)

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 01:02:18 pm »
I got wood!

Well, my MDF has been delivered anyway :)

Also, have taken the time to update the OND designs into Metric as I want these for the build - you can find them over here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=118612

So, i'm pretty much ready to go - just need time!!
I havent ordered any of the CP bits yet - they will come - but I have pretty much ordered everything to build the actual cab itself, apart from the primer/undercoat paint

Still undecided on artwork... i'm leaning towards a SFII Championship Edition homage (the purple/yellow 80s retro), or failing that maybe a Donkey Kong / Bubble Bobble / multi game homage... really don't know!!

Key thing at the moment is to get the thing marked up and to get cutting when the weather is dry!!

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 03:46:44 pm »
Quite a bit has happened since I started this project - plan a big update in the next day or so...

In the meantime... i've been mocking up a marquee that may direct my cab design... interested to get thoughts!!

How i reached this idea...
My key experiences were Alex Kidd and Bubble Bobble in an old arcade. The machines were beaten up, plain black with that fake wooden vaneer on the sides... No artwork.
Great memories, but not exactly what I want my passion project to look like!!
I have masses of memories of playing Master System, SNES, NES and Mega Drive which fit what the cab will be, but I don't want to go down that line as its a cab, not a console!!
Which leaves me with a conundrum!

All of the above is why I was leaning towards SF as I have good memories of it on SNES. But also bubble bobble was on my list, but arguably less iconic. I would also love donkey Kong or pacman, but the cab shape is wrong for dk and almost feel pacman is over done (and I don't actually like the artwork, just the game!!)

So, anyway - not 100% on this idea, this is just a marquee mock - but interested to hear people's thoughts!!

Without sunburst (i think i prefer with)

Based off, Marvel vs. Capcom

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 10:22:49 am »
Quite a bit has happened since I started this project - plan a big update in the next day or so...

In the meantime... i've been mocking up a marquee that may direct my cab design... interested to get thoughts!!

How i reached this idea...
My key experiences were Alex Kidd and Bubble Bobble in an old arcade. The machines were beaten up, plain black with that fake wooden vaneer on the sides... No artwork.
Great memories, but not exactly what I want my passion project to look like!!
I have masses of memories of playing Master System, SNES, NES and Mega Drive which fit what the cab will be, but I don't want to go down that line as its a cab, not a console!!
Which leaves me with a conundrum!

All of the above is why I was leaning towards SF as I have good memories of it on SNES. But also bubble bobble was on my list, but arguably less iconic. I would also love donkey Kong or pacman, but the cab shape is wrong for dk and almost feel pacman is over done (and I don't actually like the artwork, just the game!!)

So, anyway - not 100% on this idea, this is just a marquee mock - but interested to hear people's thoughts!!

Without sunburst (i think i prefer with)

Based off, Marvel vs. Capcom

I like it. But I think the street fighter characters art style is a little to polished. I would go with the ad art style similar to the Rut you have there on that marvel vs. calcium image.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 01:23:34 pm »
Yeah, good point. It was a proof of concept and in that sense I think it works, but needs refinement...

I'm also wondering if I might go more down an old vs new type theme instead, introducing other characters. That said, I guess I could do that under the existing theme since Taito have done Nintendo games etc in more recent years

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 07:50:02 am »
Decided i like the design concept on the above, not so certain on the 'name'... playing with something else...

Thoughts?

vaderag

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 10:35:51 am »
UPDATE POST:
I have three differing tacks being tackled at present, so a quick update on each; Woodwork, System and Artwork

Woodwork:
It's still pretty miserable weather wise here in the UK which means no cutting progress has been made as I need to work outside. What has happened however is marking up. I am ready to cut as soon as I get a nice weekend day. Last weekend I spent a full day (with help from my daughter) preparing the wood for the initial cuts. The pieces are pretty heavy so I'm looking forward to getting them cut up and ready to go!!

System:
My system, which is built on Hyperspin, is coming along pretty nicely. The weather at least can't affect this part. The biggest challenge of using Hyperspin is sourcing all the artwork to go with the various systems. I believe this can be paid for, but I am somewhat reluctant to do this if it can be helped, so a significant level of manual legwork has gone into this! Once setup I also intend to try and make the themes for the system a little bit cleaner - Hyperspin is extremely customisable with a bit of work, but the stock themes are very 'in your face' with lots of bells and whistles - I want some of this, but equally I hope to get to a slightly cleaner theme in the end... this will all come after the...

Artwork:
Before I'll be able to finish the Woodwork, I will need to nail down the artwork... because without at minimum the control panel artwork, I don't want to be drilling any holes only for the placement of the control panel vinyl to be slightly off...
Deciding what artwork to go for has been a challenge. I wanted something unique to me, and not just a standard multiple arcade character 'mashup'. With this in mind I started to think about what my favorite, or at least most played, arcade games were as a kid... These were Bubble Bobble and Street Fighter II. The cabinets themselves were not that special - mostly wood vaneer with a stuck on label, but the games bring back memories!!

I was initially thinking of going with just one of these games, but somebody on the Hyperspin forums suggested mashing these two games up... an idea was born!

It's not there yet, but I am currently leaning towards "Super Bubble Fighter", "Taito vs Capcom" or something similar - above you will see a some iterations visualised...

I’m still working on this as I say, but the formation of the idea is there – I just need to find the end point!!
I’d also like to try and work Blanka and Dhalsim in there, but they don’t have Puzzle Fighter characters (which is where the cute Street Fighter artwork has come from)

Anyway - you can see where I'm going :)

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on the above...

vaderag

• Offline Offline
Finally got a nice day with no rain forecast so managed to get some woodwork done today!
It wasn't a full day unfortunately as I had a fence to fix from some recent storms, but the woodwork is underway :)

Got all of the rough cuts done so essentially at a good base point where I don't have to lug around 8x4's any more, and the best thing is, it's starting to look like an arcade cabinet :)

Oh, and i discovered that my new favorite tool is a jigsaw!! So much fun to use!

Biggest lesson from today... circular saw blades are thicker and more destructive than you think... leave more space from your lines than you think!!

vaderag

• Offline Offline
The Super Bubble Fighter II Turbo cabinet project has finished!!
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2018, 06:12:57 am »
So, the tumbleweed is lifted, it's been 2 and a half years in the making, 2 babies, one house move and a job move, but FINALLY, the Super Bubble Fighter II Turbo cabinet is alive!

Some pictures below :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:57:30 am
  • This plan is foolproof
I really like it. Except you forgot to mount your coin door. The artwork really works for me.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
I really like it. Except you forgot to mount your coin door. The artwork really works for me.
Decided against a coin door in the end. Might do one in future but couldn't find one in the UK that didn't cost the earth

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Agreed, it looks really nice. Not sure about the theme though. Combination looks odd, but I guess you pulled it off.

TheGreatRedDragon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 12:40:53 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Super cool artwork! Nice job.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
I like it, crazy match up like tatsunoko vs Capcom but you pulled it off.

The CPO is kind of bland but the marquee is perfect.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Fydo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 11:02:26 pm
  • Alberta, Canada
You did a fantastic job! I love the theme and I think the control panel looks great.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
Nice cabinet!  Those Street Fighter side-art characters looks really familiar.  Where did you get them?  I believe they were created by an artist buddy of mine, he was selling stickers at comic con and game shows with that art.  Do you know him? Or did you find them online somewhere?

**Edit:  Yeah, I knew I recognized those images from somewhere!:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:20:33 pm by opt2not »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Good job!  :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

vaderag

• Offline Offline
Nice cabinet!  Those Street Fighter side-art characters looks really familiar.  Where did you get them?  I believe they were created by an artist buddy of mine, he was selling stickers at comic con and game shows with that art.  Do you know him? Or did you find them online somewhere?

Find them online. From memory they're a mix of sources, some official capcom some elsewhere. I'd check my history but doesn't go back 2 years

If it is your mate tho, please thank him for me!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 02:26:54 am by vaderag »

vaderag

• Offline Offline

Unless your mate is Peter Rosas from Capcom then think he's just making the stickers....

"Capcom's Peter “ComboFiend” Rosas is currently doing fans of miniature (also known as “chibi”) Street Fighter artwork a solid by uploading sets of full-body character portraits that can be used as one sees fit."

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
Art looks like its from the Puzzle fighter games.

opt2not

• Offline Offline

Unless your mate is Peter Rosas from Capcom then think he's just making the stickers....

"Capcom's Peter “ComboFiend” Rosas is currently doing fans of miniature (also known as “chibi”) Street Fighter artwork a solid by uploading sets of full-body character portraits that can be used as one sees fit."

That’s not right at all. I’m 100% sure these were created by a concept artist at Next Level Games. I’ll connect with him today and let him know Combofiend is distributing these. Perhaps he gave him permission...most likely not.

Art looks like its from the Puzzle fighter games.

Try to pay attention, ok? We’re not talking about the puzzle fighter art.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:04:24 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
ohh i missed the side art. I see it know... Thanks :-[

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Nice job, It looks good,  I too suffered from the issue of the coin door in the UK,  I ended up ordering one from China on Click and forget along with coin box door, I'll take some photo's when it arrives and shoot you the link. If I remember correctl the cost was less than £30 delivered and adjustable coin slot to take any coin/token.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
Nice job, It looks good,  I too suffered from the issue of the coin door in the UK,  I ended up ordering one from China on Click and forget along with coin box door, I'll take some photo's when it arrives and shoot you the link. If I remember correctl the cost was less than £30 delivered and adjustable coin slot to take any coin/token.
Would love to see it if you have a link.
I'm quite particular about the style of door I'd want tho and tbh I'm now pretty satisfied with the buttons. That said, I'm bound to want an expansion project down the road so might not hurt to get one in!!

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
If you just want the credit button, groovy game gear sells some that look like a credit slot and light up.
Little pricey though at over 10 US dollars each.
I used these on "A Little Rage" (build link below in my signature),  They look pretty good.

EDIT: Heres the link to those buttons

https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=295

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
combofiend worked for capcom. chances are your artist friend was paid by capcom for those pictures and combofiend had the permission to share these.

(unrelated note, combofiend is my cvs2 hero)

vaderag

• Offline Offline
If you just want the credit button, groovy game gear sells some that look like a credit slot and light up.
Little pricey though at over 10 US dollars each.
I used these on "A Little Rage" (build link below in my signature),  They look pretty good.

EDIT: Heres the link to those buttons

https://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=295
I have coin buttons in the CP which I'm happy with, if I was going for anything more realistic it would need to be the full door to make it worthwhile

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
You need to do something with that area. The rest of the cab looks so good. The coin door area is distractingly bare.

vaderag

• Offline Offline
You need to do something with that area. The rest of the cab looks so good. The coin door area is distractingly bare.

Once the stools are in place, where they live, it doesnt at all since they cover the front panel...

vaderag

• Offline Offline
Here are the links for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcade-Pinball-game-two-entry-Coin-Door-Wells-Gardner-Style-Coin-Door-w-Mech/362343865733?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That looks great - can you insert something in the buttons or are they fixed? Look a little empty.

Also, does that just connect to the ipac (for example)

Cheers,
Andy

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof

Once the stools are in place, where they live, it doesnt at all since they cover the front panel...

That may be true, But I will know. Isn't that all that matters?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:39:28 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Here are the links for you.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arcade-Pinball-game-two-entry-Coin-Door-Wells-Gardner-Style-Coin-Door-w-Mech/362343865733?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That looks great - can you insert something in the buttons or are they fixed? Look a little empty.
You can buy inserts or print your own.

There's a huge thread with custom designs here on KLOV.

Scott

opt2not

• Offline Offline
combofiend worked for capcom. chances are your artist friend was paid by capcom for those pictures and combofiend had the permission to share these.

(unrelated note, combofiend is my cvs2 hero)
Typically, when you join a game company you sign a contract that almost always has a Non-Competition clause attached. I know this is true for Next Level Games, so this would be impossible for my artist friend.

No, I contacted him last night and he said he is unaware of his artwork being shared by an official Capcom rep. He seemed a tiny bit annoyed, but ultimately doesn't really mind given that it's not his IP (his words).

I just find it very surprising, Capcom distributing unofficial artwork and claiming it their own. So that statement of Combofiend doing people "a solid" is somewhat facetious given that he stole this artwork and is distributing it freely. 

In any case, this cabinet turned out really well. @vaderag I've shared this thread with my artist buddy so he can see how his artwork turned out on your cabinet. If you're interested in contacting him, let me know and I can ask him if he's okay with me sharing his email address with you. He's a super nice guy, as all Canadians are (except for me  >:D ).