Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: OpenGL Vector graphics issues... I just wanna play Asteroids  (Read 9092 times)

sroberts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2023, 09:51:53 pm
  • Will my game cabinet ever be finished??
OpenGL Vector graphics issues... I just wanna play Asteroids
« on: November 22, 2015, 10:41:01 am »
Any tips on getting vector games like Asteroids to work using OpenGL graphics on Linux?   I've tried different distros and mame versions but all with the same result - soft graphics functions but is too slow to be playable, and opengl graphics freezes after a period.  :banghead:  My latest attempt uses Arch linux with (old) RADEON X300 video.

Thanks,
Steve

sroberts

• Offline Offline
Re: OpenGL Vector graphics issues... I just wanna play Asteroids
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 12:54:06 pm »
Now playing Asteroids using MAME on RetroPie on a Raspberry Pi 4 - it is Linux powered, easy to use and is very capable, especially given the small hardware/OS/$ footprint.  AttractMode works great as the front end.  The system boots up and shuts down fast, and there are no issues trying to hide MS Windows.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 01:31:10 pm »
I'm not familiar with AttachMode how are you able to use it along with RetroPie?  There are a few folks around here trying to get the latest Mame running with a simple frontend that might be interested in the details of what you did.  I would think you could follow the Mame install for a Pi in bbegin's thread and then couple it with AttractMode but I'm not sure how you make AM work with RetroPie.

sroberts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 04:33:43 pm »
AttractMode (attractmode.org) has been around for quite a while, it is a fast, lightweight front-end for arcade cabinets.  Retropie includes AttractMode as an "experimental" package, so it can be installed from the setup menu and made to run on startup, as described here:  https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/17819/attract-mode.

Retropie's default "front-end", EmulationStation, is mostly geared toward hand-held game controllers.  My cabinet does not have a lot of buttons so I found it a challenge to map all of the controls needed by EmulationStation.  For example I could not find a way to exit the emulator and shut down.  AttractMode has an option to run a command on exit, so I have it run "sudo init 0", which shuts the Pi down in a few seconds.

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:47:24 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 05:41:48 pm »
Cool...Yeah I had seen AttractMode before but didn't realize it was an option for RetroPie.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 11:18:19 pm »
There is a LOT of work being done on AM right now behind the scenes. Lots of really good stuff in the works for it... well, for an offshoot called AttractMode Plus. Stay tuned on that.

That said, custom compiling AM will get a few extra benefits like MMAL hardware acceleration. At some point that wasn't part of the experimental install. Don't know if that has changed or not. That is handy for better video processing of snaps. Anyway, if you plan to try that, make a backup of your image first. I've got instructions floating around if anyone wants to try it.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 02:37:09 am »
In the process of building a Linux image for pc.
Compiling attract mode for it, but I'd check out what's new.