Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Golden Tee Fore! 2005 - Restoration Advice - ROM & CF Card HDD  (Read 4708 times)

UK_Terry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2017, 09:17:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Golden Tee Fore! 2005 - Restoration Advice - ROM & CF Card HDD
« on: November 18, 2015, 04:55:42 pm »
Hi There,

I've owned a GT Fore! 2005 machine for nearly 10 years now - I had it from straight out of service on the UK Pub circuit.

It's a Green Board machine and has been fairly reliable - no problems for the first 5-6 years in regular use.

About 4 years ago the video went, and I solved this by sourcing a replacement Green Board and Video Card from a USA seller - so it's been running a USA green board ever since without issues.

Having been stored in my garage for the past 2 summers and winters, I decided to bring the unit back in the house last month and get it up and running for the forthcoming holiday period.

Clearly storage in the garage and cold UK winters had done it no favours - it wouldn't work - the video was scrambled - this time traced to a failed mechanical original HDD.

So I sourced a new v2.09 Eagle Rom and HDD CF Card conversion that contains all 29 courses from the Golden Tee Fore! 2006 machine.

This was all fitted today as below:

However, whilst the scrambled video issues are now solved, the machine will now not boot past the initialisation screen - as below:-

The machine just won't go past this boot stage.

I've had the board out and re-seated all the chips to try to ensure there's no dry joints. But to no avail.

Any ideas , suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,  :)

Terry.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 04:57:22 pm by UK_Terry »

brad808

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2023, 08:18:15 pm
Re: Golden Tee Fore! 2005 - Restoration Advice - ROM & CF Card HDD
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 09:41:15 pm »
You are trying to use a golden tee complete hard drive with a gt 2005 security chip?

UK_Terry

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2017, 09:17:31 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 07:51:31 am »
Hi Brad,

I browsed the Forum somewhat before I posted this thread.

I'm not well-versed with the Golden Tee security chip - I'm guessing from you comment this is the source of the boot problems ?

Can you elaborate ?

Thanks in advance,

Terry.

TimBoch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 11:41:34 am
  • Be the Ball.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 08:47:07 pm »
I would agree with Brad. It looks like you have a Golden Tee 2006 Complete SSD inserted into where the ribbon cable would normally go to connect to the hard drive. GT2006 required an update eprom chip if you didn't completely replace the GT2005 motherboard with a GT2006 motherboard.
Here is an eBay link that shows what I am talking about.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/351067830203?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I bought a GT2003 machine about 3 years ago and upgraded it to GT2006 complete by replacing the motherboard, which already included the new eprom chip and also used a SSD drive. Mine is a red board however and has only ever been a home use machine.

Hope this helps.

Tim

mclovin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2023, 12:53:29 pm
  • GT newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 11:30:00 pm »
Like others have said. Basically the only way to upgrade to a complete is to get a motherboard from a complete unit.