Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: console tv?  (Read 2474 times)

d

• Trade Count: (0)
console tv?
« on: July 07, 2002, 06:42:10 am »
Alrighty...here's a fun question.  *smile*  I've got an old 21 inch console television lying around the house that still has a pretty good picture.  How difficult would it be to put this into a cabinet?  I should mention that I have absolutely no experience whatsoever in wiring or electrical work.  I have read numerous times about the dangers of opening up televisions and getting dead real quick.  That kinda scares me.  Problem is that I don't have the money for a new television or monitor, and I'd really like to be able to use this one.  Any tutorials online on how to do this?  Anyone have experience converting an old console television into an arcade monitor?  Any help would  be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: console tv?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2002, 02:54:13 pm »
By "console" televison what are you referring to?  Anything that you can watch tv on is just a regular tv and can be hooked up to any pc that has a video card with tv-out (svid or rca.)  No hacking is involved in a television setup unless you want to do something unusual with it.    

d

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2002, 06:44:48 pm »
By console, I mean one of those old style televisions that date back about 20 years.  The TV itself is housed in a console cabinet, with the knobs (channels, volume, etc) on the right side and the screen on the left.  It also only has an RF input.  Is this worth doing, or would it be more hassel than it's worth?  Thanks.

daywane

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:33:56 pm
  • GRRRR!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2002, 12:34:31 am »
Yes it can be done. even with out the "S" video , Text will be hard on the eyes but game play is fine.
I can not get a 19"  S video TV yet ether. I have done what you are talking about with a 13" Atari monitor (old 8bit stuff I have laying around) also I did it to a 13" comadore monitor (they were old work horses!!!)
also I have played my PC on a newer 27" TV  all with out S video.
to get the juice out of the tube take a large flat screw driver and a thick electric cord. strip both ends of the wire. electric tape one end to the metal of the screw driver. ( I also tape the handle for piece of mind) ether put a clip or bolt the other end of the wire to the metal frame of the TV tube.
now locate a large suction cup that is going into the tube. under it is 2 silver wires . touch the screw driver on both of these silver wires. be ready for a BANG! this is normal. but it will scare the hell out of you if your not ready for it.
some times a small bang some times a large one.
I have heard some times this must be done a few times. to get all the juice out. I have never had more than one bang.
One last thing. have help because it will be to heavy to hold and mount into place by your self. My wife had a cow when she had to help. cost me a chines diner to get her to help. :)