Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Replacement PSU for Jamma  (Read 1707 times)

CHRIS-F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:59:12 am
  • I always have screws left over after repairs :-)
Replacement PSU for Jamma
« on: November 21, 2015, 03:09:23 pm »
Hi Guys,

I replaced the Caps in my Jamma psu last year, but I'm not happy with the result, the psu vibrates or hums slightly now (it didn't before the repair) and this makes the psu case vibrate and can be quite noisy, I used the right value caps and they were good quality low esr caps, any ideas why it went noisy and vibrates slightly now? I was pleased that my repair went well but not happy with the psu now, my psu is a power master XII I want to replace it with a new one, which brand is good? are there any I should I avoid? am I right in thinking I can use a psu with more amps but not less. I have seen these two on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quality-Arcade-Power-Supply-Jamma-etc-/272045268025?hash=item3f57295c39:g:dxEAAOSw5VFWHhra

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAMMA-ARCADE-POWER-SUPPLY-UNIT-Output-12V-2-5A-5V-1A-5V-15A-/331695646714?hash=item4d3a99e7fa:g:0dQAAMXQKLdR2bUH

would either of them be ok? I want a good quality one, are there any places in the uk to get supplies other than ebay?

Thanks in advance guys.
Chris

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Replacement PSU for Jamma
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 01:42:53 am »
Circuit board in a bind?

The case warped or in a bind?

CHRIS-F

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:59:12 am
  • I always have screws left over after repairs :-)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 05:00:27 am »
Hi Ken,

No I don't believe the case or board to be binding or out of shape, the circuit board slides in and out effortlessly, if I touch the case it stops making a noise, so it seems something on the board is causing more vibration since I changed the caps. Although I would like to know where I went wrong (Changing caps shouldn't cause vibration should it?), I think it would be a good Idea to replace the PSU anyway as replacing the caps didn't fix my original problem which was noise being introduced on my monitor, I know it may not be caused by the PSU, but at least if I start at the PSU I know I will have a clean voltage to start with. I can always keep my current PSU for a spare, are there any makes to avoid or are the two examples above adequate?

Regards,
Chris.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 06:18:21 pm »
Resolder the main switching transformer.

Double check the tightness of the screws attaching the heat sinks to the board.